Ok, so I'm looking for an overdrive pedal. I'm thinking of getting a Tube Sreamer TS9 or a Boss Super Overdrive SD-1. I play through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head. Any suggestions?
Quote by Goldtop11
Any suggestions?

Turn the volume up instead of getting an OD pedal? =P
Quote by glemnar
Turn the volume up instead of getting an OD pedal? =P

Dude, what part of Marshall and 100 watt did you not get? If I turn the volume past 1.5 crap starts shaking and the neighbors complain, lol. I need the OD for more of a lead boost, because the amp is only two channels, one of which I use for clean tones. And to the first guy, do you use a tube or transistor amp? Ive heard the sd-1 sounds really good with transistors, but sounds cheap with tube amps.
I have an SD-1 myself, but I actually haven't tested it with my new tube amp yet. It worked pretty well on my old Super Champ though, which has a tube preamp I believe.

Fulltone OCD is one of the most commonly used overdrives, but it's a bit costly (A bit less than $200).
A lot of people use it to tighten sound.

And yeah, I was jking on the turn it up, obviously. Hehe.

Edit: And to the guy above me...Metal Master Distortion = Overdrive pedal HOW?
Last edited by glemnar at Dec 24, 2009,
Thanks, but that's WAY too heavy for my playing style (blues and classic rock.) I don't really want a distortion because I like the Marshall tone I just need a little more gain and volume for solos. Thanks though! =)
Glemnar,
lol, sorry I thought you were serious. I have saw a lot of people that use the OCD, but, as you said, it is expensive. I also knew that Marshalls and tubescreamers are popular combos, so I didn't know if that would work too. I just haven't gotten out to try one and didn't know if anybody already had one.
Quote by Goldtop11
Thanks, but that's WAY too heavy for my playing style (blues and classic rock.) I don't really want a distortion because I like the Marshall tone I just need a little more gain and volume for solos. Thanks though! =)

I use the MXR Wylde Overdrive. I used the Boss EQ pedal and OD pedal for years, but was never quite right for my sound. I've been really happy with the Wylde OD. Much more versatile than it appears. Simple tone boost or a tad more dirty with the gain knob.
SD-1 is quite cheap. So is the Digitech Bad Monkey and the Cool Cat Transparent OD. Could always buy a Tubescreamer as you can't really go bad there based on general liking to the simplicity and tone for the price but tone is as subjective as it can go.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
OCD is a bad choice, much more a standalone overdrive than a boost.
Have a look at a Keeley Mod TS9, i know, such a boring recommendation, but without a budget I don't have anything to go on.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
SD-1 is a surprisingly beautiful sounding pedal and costs next to nothing. Bad Monkey is great too. Keep in mind Tubescreamer types generally sound better combined with the gain on your amp. They have a very boxy mid heavy sound which can be great for some vintage tones but they sound particularly great going into a dirty amp which gives you the higher harmonics.
MI audio Blues Pro A TS with Balls.........The JRC4558 chip like the 808......But with a bunch more bottom end And it's 9 to 25v!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_6rFG-zsP4
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MI-Audio-Blues-Pro-v.3-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502483&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
Maxon OD 808 or Digitech Bad Monkey.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Get a good attenuator for when you're not playing in arenas.

JJ
Last edited by Jammin'John at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by WtrPlyr
^You really like the Blues Pro don't you In every OD thread you're spamming with it

TS what's your budget?

No Spam.............I've bought, traded, sold and traded A bunch of OD pedals IN my 42yrs. I Only give Advice on these Forums About what i know!..........And I know this pedal Is a BADASS TS!!
Quote by R.D
OCD is a bad choice, much more a standalone overdrive than a boost.
Have a look at a Keeley Mod TS9, i know, such a boring recommendation, but without a budget I don't have anything to go on.

The OCD pedal is the best boost pedal I've ever heard in my life.
"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."
Quote by brleealbright
The OCD pedal is the best boost pedal I've ever heard in my life.

What Version are you using??
fulltone fulldrive 2
paul cochrane tim or timmy
analogman king of tone
bad monkey
zendrive
blues driver
maxon ts9
mxr gt-od
etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Ok, Im trying to stay below $100, but if it's a tone I really like, I'm willing to go a little over that.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
pull two power tubes to solve the volume issue or get an attenuator - only 3db quieter but it'll break up faster. And, if you've got a sizeable budget, get a Fulltone OCD

Wait, can you acually do that?!? I mean, without damaging the amp?
On a low budget: i use a boss ge-7 to boost my solo's. Cheap and works perfect! I tend to boost a bit of mid range too besides the level slider. And later: by an ocd! I use it as a booster and it's fantastic! I don't like attenuators that much for what you try to achieve. When set on heavier levels they color your sound way too much, imho.

Or if you can handle a soldering iron: there are lots of schematics for mxr micro amp like pedals. You can even order the pcb's... i builded my own mod of this pedal for less than $40.
Last edited by jabba4 at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by marvelboy_04
zendrive

Doesn't like marshall amps... (On the OD channel at least.)

If you only want a boost then an xotic rc or a durham mucho boosto... the addrock ol'yeller is the best TS clone IMO.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details