First, I'd like to say that this is my first time posting here (as if my post count wouldn't make it apparent.) If I'm doing something stupid, let me know, and I'll fix it as soon as possible.

Now, on to the inquisition...
I've got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser currently. It has a 3-way lever switch, 2 volume controls, 1 tone knob, and is currently equipped with EMG humbuckers, 81x/85x.

I'm considering installing both a DiMarzio x2n humbucker, and a pull/push coil tap system. I really like Chuck Schuldiner's tone, and I believe I'd greatly enjoy the versatility that coil tapping would offer. Unfortunately, the x2n is a passive pickup, and I'm told that actives and passives really don't mix without rewiring.

I've searched the forums, and GuitarElectronics.com (and Google) for a wiring diagram that would make this work, but to no avail. Could anyone find or draw me a diagram for this?

Also, seeing as how I have pretty much no soldering or electrical experience whatsoever, would I be better off having this done professionally? If so, how much would that cost me? (in work, and parts)

Ideally, I'd be able to pick up the pickups (see what I did there?) and pull/push knobs off of Ebay, and there are some guitar shops nearby that would probably be able to do it.
To be able to have both active and passive pickups, you need separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. If you want both volume and tone, the best bet would be a concentric pot for the active pickup, and a separate volume and tone for the X2N, one a push/pull, and the other a normal pot.
As for the wiring, the Ultimate Wiring Thread is the place for that. Its basically 2 separate single pickup setups with a single output jack and shared switch.
I've heard that EMG might have a diagram for wiring both together, but its always been a bit tricky as far as I know. I think installing a coil tap wouldnt be too hard if you knew how to read a diagram and practiced soldering a bit. I think Radioshack has some cheap soldering kits that you could practice with.
Quote by littlephil
To be able to have both active and passive pickups, you need separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. If you want both volume and tone, the best bet would be a concentric pot for the active pickup, and a separate volume and tone for the X2N, one a push/pull, and the other a normal pot.
As for the wiring, the Ultimate Wiring Thread is the place for that. Its basically 2 separate single pickup setups with a single output jack and shared switch.

Drilling is out of the question.

"Concentric pot" means nothing to me. "Normal pot" has a similar meaning to "concentric pot."

With some newer hellraisers I've seen, the volume knobs each act as a coil tap control for their respective pickups. This is basically what I want.

I've heard that EMG might have a diagram for wiring both together, but its always been a bit tricky as far as I know. I think installing a coil tap wouldnt be too hard if you knew how to read a diagram and practiced soldering a bit. I think Radioshack has some cheap soldering kits that you could practice with.

I believe EMG might have a diagram for mixing active/passive, and in the FAQ I believe there's something about them having a product that makes this easier, and cheaper. However, this doesn't solve the problem of the coil tap knobs.

Practicing with those cheap soldering kits is a good idea; I believe I'll do that some time in the near future...

Edit: "The Inquisitor of the Smeg Heads group" Red Dwarf, for the win

Edit edit: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L21_02/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneIndividual_Coil_Taps.html

This, but with mixed active/passive pickups.
Last edited by tpl2000 at Dec 24, 2009,
I have an EMG 81 & a DiMarzio PAF in my Epi Korina Explorer. I made this diagram for it. It has the EMG connected to only a 25K volume pot. Then to the pickup selector switch. The DiMarzio is wired to a push/pull volume pot and a tone control. Then to the pickup selector switch. Then from the pickup selector switch to the jack. The pots for the DiMarzio aren't labeled in the diagram but they are 500K.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Dec 24, 2009,
Concentric pots have 2 separate parts, its like 2 pots in one. If you want a volume and tone for both pickups, you'll need at least one. You'll only be able to have a coil split on the X2N, unless you buy one of the split-able EMG's which cost more.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I have an EMG 81 & a DiMarzio PAF in my Epi Korina Explorer. I made this diagram for it. It has the EMG connected to only a 25K volume pot. Then to the pickup selector switch. The DiMarzio is wired to a push/pull volume pot and a tone control. Then to the pickup selector switch. Then from the pickup selector switch to the jack. The pots for the DiMarzio aren't labeled in the diagram but they are 500K.

Very nice, very informative, very close to what I want. Tyvm

Concentric pots have 2 separate parts, its like 2 pots in one. If you want a volume and tone for both pickups, you'll need at least one. You'll only be able to have a coil split on the X2N, unless you buy one of the split-able EMG's which cost more.

So...Essentially, only the TW pickups can be coil tapped?
Quote by littlephil
Yep

Well, the 85x sells for 120 new, I could just pick out a 81tw off ebay for 100-120, and then sell the 85x for 95-110 used, methinks.

Of course, I'm talking hundreds of dollars, and I'd be SOL if I didn't like the way the TW sounds.

Maybe I should find a guitar shop nearby that actually carries guitars with these pickups..