I have found myself developing odd habits when forming certain chords and I was wondering if this would affect my growth as a guitarist. For example on F
E 1
B 1
G 2
D 4
A X
E X

I tend to bar E and B with my Index finger. All the books I have seen and a music teacher at my school told me it was wrong to do that. Will it affect me later or is it just "improper"?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
So it is just one of those formality corners that alot of people cut?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
well that form in particular would set you up to move into a barre if need be.

my two cents: when learning chords, learn them however you feel comfortable, but keep in mind the correct way to play them as well. practice both, and when youre better, only use the correct way. try to avoid unnecessary barres, as this will produce slopiness in the future.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If you barr shit you don't need to...it will **** you over...trust me...I've experienced this.

When I started out I did alot of barring, don't do it.
I'm hoping the numbers are the fingers and not the frets.
Anyways, barring that is fine (though personally I would use my ring instead of the middle), and is the proper way since it's just an F with the 2 lowest notes removed which would make it a full barre. Misewell get used to barring now before you do harder ones.
I can do full barre chords like B and what but I meant for this one, is it acceptable to bar the E and B strings since both are on the first fret and it just seems really awkward to fret it ho wit is shown. Not to be a pain but could I get an example of how this will hurt me later in playing?
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Quote by mrmystic
I have found myself developing odd habits when forming certain chords and I was wondering if this would affect my growth as a guitarist. For example on F
E 1
B 1
G 2
D 4
A X
E X

I tend to bar E and B with my Index finger. All the books I have seen and a music teacher at my school told me it was wrong to do that. Will it affect me later or is it just "improper"?

I think your teacher is a tard. If you barre it, you have an extra finger to work with. It can make chord changes and also certain kinds of ornamentation easier (like doing hammer-ons and pull-offs on the top note).

But then again, it really depends on your situation. Sometimes it will be easier if you barre and others not. But I prefer to barre.
Well I already know my teacher is a little retarded since she argues that barre chords are useless, and we should only learn the G major scale.... I just wanted to make sure she wasnt going to be right for once.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Quote by mrmystic
Well I already know my teacher is a little retarded since she argues that barre chords are useless, and we should only learn the G major scale.... I just wanted to make sure she wasnt going to be right for once.

I hope you aren't paying for that teacher, man. A 5 year old could probably teach better than she could.
Oh I know. Only reason I still have her as a teacher is it is a free class at my high school and a few friends are in it. I dont listen to much of what she says, but I get to waste an hour playing guitar as a free fine art so might as well take it.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
The chord in the OP isn't an F since it has an F# in the bass. I'm guessing that's a typo.

And If I was going to play that chord that way (as opposed to a full barre across all 6 strings) then yes, I'd still barre the top 2. Your teacher may very well be a retard.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Yes it is a typo, meant D- 3. And thanks for the help I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to cause issues down the road.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W