check my new cover, Hearts Burst into Fire on my profile. How is my production on this mix? (minus the clipping on the first note :p )

Any comments appreciated
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
You'll want to make sure the drums and bass are recorded in the same line, because making them equal keeps the beat through the whole song, otherwise, fine.

(bass was a little soft)
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
my thoughts:

-the intro was pretty good up until the lead came in.
-the bass is a little too oppressive and muddy, though it seems to disappear entirely when everything else come in.
-the guitars, especially the rhythm, are very fizzy and way over-gained.
-drums seem to be almost non-existant, neither the kick nor the snare have any real presence.
-overall, you need to re-asses the guitar tone, and look at how to sit the bass in with the guitars,
then re-asses the relative levels of the instruments, there are parts where the lead is pretty much drowning out everything else, then in another section it will be another instrument dominating the mix
-the kick and snare seem to be panned off of the centre, this is a big no-no
-some of the changes between sections are very obvious, due to bad edits.

damn nice song though well done.
Last edited by TheDriller at Dec 25, 2009,
  • Horrible lead tone for the intro. Doesn't sit well in the track.
  • Low cut the kick, it needs to cut through a little more and leave the lower end open for the bass. As it is now the bass has no real place in the mix and is pretty much inaudible (although I sense a few picknoises here and there, could that be a sampled bass playing the part...?).
  • Volume disparity between the intro and the rest of the song. The clean part is very front and center but you totally lose that feel as soon as the distorted rhythm guitars come in. It's like the entire "band" is suddenly pulled back from the listener.
  • The drum panning that TheDriller mentioned. You have the hihat panned slightly left, which is fine when you use a player-centered mix, but having the kick and snare slightly right is just odd and gives the mix a slightly lopsided feel. The programming is a little poor as well. Especially having the hihat play the same 8th-note pattern all the way through, and having cymbals and hihat and snare sounding at the same time... You also have a weird little programming f***-up on the hihat, see 3:32 for an example, that's very annoying.
  • Poor edits between sections. Not sure whether you've just made the cuts right at the barline and not checked where you actually change section or if your crossfades are off or non-existant. When the flow is so obviously hindered by the edits there's something seriously wrong; the technology, or lack of mastery of it, must never be allowed take away from the song.
  • A few minor timing issues between the rhythm guitars. With riffs of this nature, and panning this wide, any minor mistakes in timing between the left and the right, for instance at 2:09, will be very obvious (especially in headphones).

I liked the riffs and the overall flow of the song though, sounds a bit like an updated version of 80's sleaze metal. If you decide to re-record or re-edit/re-mix this I think it will be great.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Ok thanks for the comments guys. Not sure how those drums got panned, I'll fix that ASAP.

Yeah there was NO post production on any of this by the way. No low/high passes or anything. That could be a reason the instruments don't fit too well together. When you are putting instruments together to make them fit EQ wise, is it just your ears, or is there like some formula (or any trick or something) if anyone could shed some light on that that'd be great. For now Im just using my ears
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
OK I reuploaded it, and all the drums were panned center except for the cymbals :/ No idea what happened.

Any ways I did some post EQ and some re mixing of the levels
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
frankly, i think you're jumping the gun a little bit by uploading something that you've done no actual production with, and looking for critique on that non-existent production.

as for the other question, no, there is no set formula for getting things to sound right, its all in your ears.