Before I post this, with all due respect to everyone who is going to help me...unless you have actually installed this pickup into a semi hollow body I do not want to ehar things like "your ruining the sound of the hollow body" or "your goign to get feedback" Semi hollow bodys, have a solid peice of wood down the middle and either side of it is hollow..this is why its called a SEMI hollow, and NOT a hollow, therefore its feedback wont be any different than a solid body...so I dont want to hear it.<3

Now to my real question....I am thinking about putting in the EMG H4 pickup into this guitar

1.Anyone who owns it....do you like the pickup?
2. The description says that you should ground the strings to prevent noise...how would I do that on a hollow body with a stop bar tailpiece type bridge, and is it even neccessary with my noisegate?

Thanks!
LaneyLesPaul
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
In general, EMG passives aren't the most loved pickups in the world, and with companies such as Iron Gear it's possible to get much better tone for alot less. Considering you play a Semi-Hollow I assume you're not playing Metal so i'd look into some Duncans, and definitely look at Iron Gear's stuff.

Also, regarding feedback, I think it's more to do with the amount of gain you use that causes it. That's obviously assuming your not using ridiculously high output pickups that just distort by themselves.
Quote by laneylespaul

1.Anyone who owns it....do you like the pickup?

2. The description says that you should ground the strings to prevent noise...how would I do that on a hollow body with a stop bar tailpiece type bridge, and is it even neccessary with my noisegate?

Thanks!
LaneyLesPaul

2. Yes, it is necessary. If you've already got a passive pickup in there, it should be grounded. It's just a feathered wire leading to one of the bridge post bushings.
Thanks guys! I think im just going to go with some Guitarfetish GFS Pickups? WHat do you think?
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
GFS pickups are nice, but if you were going to spend the money on EMG's then I would look into some Dimarzio or Seymore Duncan pickups, possibly low output kind, since semi hollow guitars typically arent every used with a lot of gain. I think the most gain I've ever heard run through a semi hollow was The guy who played "Bad to the Bone" George something, I can't remember his name. PRS makes some good pickups that would fit your guitar very well, there not super high output, sound nice for what semi hollows are meant to do, and look good.
you might try some vintage style pickups. by dimarzio or seymour duncan like the other guys said. other people might not agree with me, but a bunch of people really like gibson pickups in their semihollow body guitars. some artists for example, dave grohl and tom delongue, have gibson pups in their signature semihollow guitars.