Hi guys, i just bought a Peavey Vypyr 60watt tube amp. Let me start off by saying i love it, the only problem is that i fear for my life if i were ever to turn it up to 13 by accident while bedroom practicing. (yes it goes to 13 not only 11 lol). So i was planning on getting a power Attenuator for it, the only problem is that it does not have an effects loop so i have no clue where or how to install it. Getting a good tone at lower volumes and not having to worry about about killing myself would be wonderful. Any help is greatly appreciated.
An attenuator does not go in an effects loop and would sound like ass with a Vypyr's modeling. The tube Vypyrs are meant to add a bit of warmth and harmonic content, not to get pushed power tube tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
An attenuator is designed to be plugged in between an amp and the speaker cabinet, to allow "cranking" a loud tube amp at lower volumes. Technically, your amp isn't a true "tube" amp, it's actually a "hybrid", because it has a solid-state preamp along with your 6L6-equipped power stage. So yeah, anyway you probably get the point.
thanks guys, i was aware it was a hybrid but i did not know it would defeat the point of a attenuator. I guess i will just have to watch out when i change the volume unless im jamming with a full band. thanks for the quick responses and help, it really saved me a lot of time.
The 75 & 100 watt models have a "power sponge"...isn't that just an attenuator?

Are they not hybrids?

Why don't the lower wattage models come with this?
the entire solid state variants have a power sponge, the "tube" versions do not. I dont get it seeing that the tube versions are much louder.
Quote by Just1ncred1ble1
the entire solid state variants have a power sponge, the "tube" versions do not. I dont get it seeing that the tube versions are much louder.

Good point.

So here's your solution:

Epoxy a small block on the volume knob at the pointer

Epoxy another small block on the face at "3" or whatever other position you want as your max. Just make sure the other block is positioned between min and the block first...