A friend told me he could get me a job in the summer working on roofs and doing work similar to that. I'm pretty sure he would teach me how to, but I don't want to be completely naive about it. Any advice?
Last edited by adam561 at Dec 25, 2009,
No, it's extremely simple, just hard work in the summer.

You basically line it up and throw a nail down.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Labour! Labour! Labour! No one's kidding on this.

It's not technically hard, but unless you are experienced (i.e. strong) it is VERY tough going.

What city do you live in?
Quote by raincoffin
Labour! Labour! Labour! No one's kidding on this.

It's not technically hard, but unless you are experienced (i.e. strong) it is VERY tough going.

What city do you live in?

Sterling Heights, MI
Easy to remove. Not too bad to install. But it's all hard work.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Very, very time consuming but very easy, nonetheless.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
It's hard work. It usually pays well but you'll know you've been working at the end of the day.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I have complete hands on experience with replacing a roof. We had to redo ours, all the way down to the plywood. I was hanging from a rope on the edges of the house taking that stuff off. Its a very slanted roof. Pretty easy to fall off. I had to put up three levels of scaffold by myself also just so we could be up there. Taking off shingles are really easy, especially with this shovel like device. You can just slide it and rip up the screws and shingles.
Tarpaper is easy. Just line it up straight and its a perfect guide for shingles. Shingles are easy too, just line them up and hammer. Its best to do it with a nailgun but if you don't have one, a hammer and a belt with a bag of nails is fine.
Personal opinion is to invest a little money in a good pair of gloves. Leather is preferred to me. Nothing too loose. Get something that fits good for you even if you have to pay close to $20 for it. Its well worth it in the end of comfort if you are going to do this a lot in the end. Same with a hammer, if you don't have a really comfortable one to use, go get one. In the end, its like playing on a poorly setup guitar. In the end, you will really appreciate spending time with something that works. A good hammer and good gloves make long work much easier to bear.
If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
It's gonna be hot as a mother up on those roofs. However, it'll probably pay decent.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

My brother works full-time as a roofer right now and it's hell. Him and his crew are all over the place up on rooftops all day in the ****ing cold and wind and it's worse in the summer when it's hot. He really hates it, he would never want to become a roofer as a career.
Hard work. Use a hammer. Pound in a nail. Or use the hammer-claw to pull the nails out. End of story, man.
Quote by Chaos Nil
I have complete hands on experience with replacing a roof. We had to redo ours, all the way down to the plywood. I was hanging from a rope on the edges of the house taking that stuff off. Its a very slanted roof. Pretty easy to fall off. I had to put up three levels of scaffold by myself also just so we could be up there. Taking off shingles are really easy, especially with this shovel like device. You can just slide it and rip up the screws and shingles.
Tarpaper is easy. Just line it up straight and its a perfect guide for shingles. Shingles are easy too, just line them up and hammer. Its best to do it with a nailgun but if you don't have one, a hammer and a belt with a bag of nails is fine.
Personal opinion is to invest a little money in a good pair of gloves. Leather is preferred to me. Nothing too loose. Get something that fits good for you even if you have to pay close to $20 for it. Its well worth it in the end of comfort if you are going to do this a lot in the end. Same with a hammer, if you don't have a really comfortable one to use, go get one. In the end, its like playing on a poorly setup guitar. In the end, you will really appreciate spending time with something that works. A good hammer and good gloves make long work much easier to bear.
If you have any other questions about it feel free to ask.

So what happens in the end?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Data Helmet

EDIT: I hate linkin park by the way.

Brilliant. But what does that have anything to do with any part of this thread, at all?
Quote by wyldething
So what happens in the end?

Oh. Well it depends. a lot of times you can just put on a new set of shingles over the ones already there. If its too much though, you need to tear a lot of them off. So if you have to do that, starting from the beginning, would be putting down the tarpaper with nails, then putting on the shingles with nails, one at a time, starting at the top. There are actually a lot more shingles than what it looks like. They are like scales, and each one overlaps. If you took the amount of space on the roof, the shingles would equal 2x as much area laid out. Uhm... thats it really. It can be a little complicated for strange spots like around skylights, and chimneys. Believe it or not, there is a certain level of engineering to have shingles work perfectly. Like you don't want two rows of shingles to line up. Well in the end at least, you have a roof with new "Scales" that resist wind and water.
Uhhh... and then you take everything down and your done... get lunch, get laid, whatever else with your daily life? Next job/project or whatever?
DO WHATEVER YOUR HEART TELLS YOU!