I just upped my gauge from 10-46 to 11-49. I know youre supposed to tighten the truss rod when you do that, but I dont know when i should and how much. It definitely feels alot harder to tune than it did before. Should I make a truss rod adjustment for this? If so, is there any way to tell how much I should do?
honestly, that size diff shouldnt need a changing, especially if your guitar is well made, and the fact that your strings are "harder" to tune doesnt mean the truss rod needs a changing. if you had switched from a 9 to an 11 then maybe you could use an adjustment, but the one you are talking about shouldnt need a change
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
Myth: Changing string gauge means you need to adjust your guitar.
Fact: Changing string gauge is a reason you might need to make some adjustments on your guitar. It *COULD* lead to buzzing, bad action, etc. To counteract that, you might need to adjust the truss rod and/or action.

When you say "Harder to tune" do you mean its not staying in tune or that the tuners aren't turning well?
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Chaos Nil
Myth: Changing string gauge means you need to adjust your guitar.
Fact: Changing string gauge is a reason you might need to make some adjustments on your guitar. It *COULD* lead to buzzing, bad action, etc. To counteract that, you might need to adjust the truss rod and/or action.

When you say "Harder to tune" do you mean its not staying in tune or that the tuners aren't turning well?

I mean it takes more strength to turn the tuners.

And doesnt a higher gauge mean higher tension? which can like bend the neck?
Quote by Batvanvaiych
honestly, that size diff shouldnt need a changing, especially if your guitar is well made, if you had switched from a 9 to an 11 then maybe you could use an adjustment, but the one you are talking about shouldnt need a change

False.

Your guitar will definitly need adjustment to play like you want it to play.

I switched from 12's to 11's and thought i'd be ok, but my neck adjustment was waaay off. I switched back to 12's after though because my hands are too strong for 11's and I was overbending. Even a small change in string size will have a great effect on your guitars neck.

Get a good set up and your off to go.

Larger gauge strings = more tension. Which is why you might find it harder to turn the tuners.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 25, 2009,
Yeah, that might be one reason. Another might be that you overwound the tuners? You should have just a few (3) turns around the tuning peg. Its not a good idea to have much more than that. That *might* be a reason for it being harder to turn. Higher tension isn't necessarily bad for the guitar. Any electric guitar should be able to take 11's, figuring those are rather standard these days.
As far as truss rod stuff goes, I'd suggest you look at the following links before you try anything. Even then, be careful.
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Data/TrussRods/trussrods1.html
Read all that, and then you'll know, and knowing is half the battle!
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Yes, the neck should bow a little more with the higher guage string; but one generally needs a tad more neck relief when moving up to higher guage strings. So....everything might play just fine after the guage change.....then, again it might not and require you to make some adjustments.

Don't just go turning srews however....actually check the neck's relief to see if it really is too much (or little).