I like Kirk Hammett and James Hetfeild. I would like to sound like them. I have looked up their equipment but am nowhere near it i have a peavey bandit 112, a cort kx1q with emg hz's, a digitech hardwire metal distortion, hardwire tube overdrive, a cry baby, a bbe sonic maximizer, and a digitech distortion factroy.
Without thousands of dollars it's nearly impossible. Most of it is in the hands of the player. Also scoop your mids
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Don't scoop your mids. If anything roll back on the bass a lot, but don't make the treble too harsh.
Oh, also, you'll need a Mesa Mark IIC+ :p
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
form of! kirk hammett! problem solved
Peavey Raptor Plus <---- No Hope
B.C. Rich Warlock <---- Still Working on It
Sierra Ventura Acoustic\Electric <---- Very Nice
Ibanez RG7321 <---- Awesome
Jackson RR3 <---- YES
Quote by nedthehead
Don't scoop your mids. If anything roll back on the bass a lot, but don't make the treble too harsh.
Oh, also, you'll need a Mesa Mark IIC+ :p

plus humbuckers, but leave mids at around 5 or 4
with that gear? you can't. go out, get yourself something with some EMG 81/60s, a mesa boogie Mark IIC+, and then cut their fingers off and stitch them in place of your own.
Yeah get the Mesa amp and some good humbuckers and youre set
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Quote by thundermonty
I like Kirk Hammett and James Hetfeild. I would like to sound like them. I have looked up their equipment but am nowhere near it i have a peavey bandit 112, a cort kx1q with emg hz's, a digitech hardwire metal distortion, hardwire tube overdrive, a cry baby, a bbe sonic maximizer, and a digitech distortion factroy.

this is all you need.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
no.... there is... another
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
it's all about palm placement
the underside of your hand should be applying pressure right where the string meets the saddle, just make sure not to press to hard
you'll get it with practice!
Originality is truly dead; not even the desire for it exists anymore.

It's a lot more interesting to cover a band with your own sound, than to strive for the same exact sound the band you want to cover is famous for.

On a partially related note, but possibly unrelated to the TS, hardcore cover bands are a ****ing joke. If I wanted to hear a band play, I'd go see the band, not some other people who have spent years trying to sound just like them. If the band is no more, then listen to the recording. I pity those who strive so hard to be someone else.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use my boss metalzone pedal with my roland cube 30X and i get a good Kill 'Em All sound expecally while playing motorbreath
Quote by valennic
They'll rape you in 6 different directions till sunday...and then eat you.

Quote by JimiAwesome
I use my boss metalzone pedal with my roland cube 30X and i get a good Kill 'Em All sound expecally while playing motorbreath

My eq is
Low - 6 or 7
Mid - under 3
and High - 10
Quote by valennic
They'll rape you in 6 different directions till sunday...and then eat you.

most importantly you're going to need a new amp. you're not going to get any bands tone out of a peavey bandit.
the bandit can sound really good with the eq tweaked right. plus the bbe sonic stomp really. helps. it's lead channel is ok. pedals work great on the clean setting. pretty soon i'm getting a jet city combo amp.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
So much...unhelpful...information...

The TS knows he's nowhere near Metallica in terms of equipment guys, he's asking what he can do with the gear he has.

TS, Metallica are well known for a technique called 'scooping' their mids. This means turning the mids down low while boosting the treble and bass. The problem with this however is that mids are needed for your guitar to 'cut through the mix', I.E. be heard amongst other instruments. Scooping your mids is fine for just noodling around but not recommended when playing with other musicians or recording. For a Metallica sound you're going to need to keep your mids low but try not to cut them entirely.

The Bandit has a decent amount of gain on tap. I'd recommend using your bridge pickup, setting the gain to around 6 or 7 (It's tempting to just jack it up, but try not to. Start around 6 or 7 and move up if you feel it's necessary) Bass around 7 and Treble around 8. Try starting with your mids around 5 and if you feel you're not getting the sound, start rolling them back a little, but please try to avoid just cutting them out entirely.

Your amp might have a contour knob (Been a while since I played a Bandit. This is pretty much just the opposite of a mid knob (I.E. Contour at 10 = Mid at 0) so if it does have one then try to keep it low to avoid scooping your mids too much.

Start out with just your guitar plugged straight into the amp then add pedals one by one until you get a sound you're happy with. Good Luck, hope this helps
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
It depends on what era.

The new albums are not scooped. I am also pretty sure that the first album was not scooped either.

If you are after Ride The Lighting to Black Album tones, scoop your mids, boost your bass and treble. Specifically with your Bandit, go on the modern setting, as the modern setting is really scooped.

Have your gain to taste.
Quote by southpaw91
*referring to TS's wah*this is all you need.

You, sir, get a lolstack.

But anyways, put your trebs, gain and bass up and put your mids to about 4, and make sure you're using your bridge pickup. And if you use the Digitech disto pedal putting the mid frequency at somewhere between 4 and 6 might be a good idea too. And to add to Southpaw's post, don't forget to learn E pentatonic minor for Kirk's soloing. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.