Page 1 of 2
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Just gimmie an Edwards JP with PAF's and a Gibsonized headstock and I'm good.

yeah, i like gibson guitars and im a big fan of page, but i in no way would pay that much money for that guitar. if i could afford it and still be able to live comofrtably, it wouldnt matter and id get it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
This was a frontpage article on this very site quite recently.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
This was a frontpage article on this very site quite recently.

i never check the front page so my bad. i found it on the gibson site.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
That look doesn't do much for me. Oh well - I've already got the only LP I need anyways.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Something to make Page fans drool. But I have to wonder about the timing? The economy is in the crapper and Gibson releases a limited edition guitar that costs US$15,000.00? That doesn't strike me as an intelligent business decision.

Someone will buy it, though.
Anybody who has the cash to blow on another Page signature probably hasn't felt the recession much.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
LPs don't do it for me anyway--but I would consider getting the signed. If, you know, I had a pile of cash that would buy a pretty good trailer just lying around.
Anyone have info on the two push button switches under the pickguard? Just curious as to what they do. I know it's got push/pull knobs, I'm assuming to split coils?
Meh.

Gibson are desperate :-/
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by ibanezgod1973
most of the early zeppelin albums were recorded using a telecaster......he only used the LP live

For LZ1, true. Later, not so much. The telecaster came out occasionally (ie. Stairway solo) but was far from a staple.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
most of the early zeppelin albums were recorded using a telecaster......he only used the LP live
Untrue. The first Zeppelin album was recorded using primarily the telecaster because he didn't get his first les paul until after it's release. Not to mention, Page's live tone is legendary. And he is always going to be famous for his les paul, same as his double neck, even though the only time he ever used that in the studio was on Carouselambra, which 99% of people have never even heard nor will ever want to hear (because it's terrible).
Quote by Axeaman
Meh.

Gibson are desperate :-/
Why is that? It's not like they're just pulling some random guitar out of their ass. Jimmy Page's two les pauls are legendary. If anything, this release is more relevant than any of the other signature releases that they've done as of late (like the Gibbons, Beck, Bloomfield, and all those guitarists deserve to be commemorated as well), because 1) Page is a rock legend in every regard and 2) "#2" is arguably more famous than "#1" even though "#1" was his main les paul and saw the most use. "#2" was the guitar that had all the switches installed for phase switch, series/parallel, coil splits and any combination of all them that had EVERY Page fanatic talking for years.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 25, 2009,
I don't get the aged look. It's fine if it's been aged naturally as it's probably has history to it but a new aged guitar... bleh.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by i3oosted
I don't get the aged look. It's fine if it's been aged naturally as it's probably has history to it but a new aged guitar... bleh.
Well... it's a replica of one specific 1959 les paul, it's supposed to look like that les paul.
That is just insane! Even at the lower priced one you would have to have a screw loose to buy one. It amazes me people fall for these types of scams as signature model, relic etc.

Do people that buy these over priced gimmicky guitars think it brings them closer to the artist or they might play better? When I buy a guitar I could care less what bozo's name was on it or endorses it. I buy a guitar because it plays great and sounds good and has a reasonable price if it happens to have a name on it who cares. I want people to say John plays great not John sounds like this guy or that guy!

It just goes to show there is a sucker born every minute!

John
I suspect that the only people who buy these stratospherically priced tribute guitars are collectors. But I have to wonder if these will ever truly become desirable collector's items? Since guitarists will not seek them out to play them, their collector value is going to be limited. They might even go down in value over the years. If you have a serious Jones for Jimmy Page and also happen to have his money, I suppose the various Page tribute Gibsons make sense. But for the rest of us?

And will Jimmy Page retire his originals and henceforth play only these tribute custom creations?
I collected Gibsons for years, putting 25 or 11 grand in a brand new Gibson no matter who's name is on it is no investment for a collector. These guitars will never gain value, at least in our lifetime most likely they will loose half their value in a few short years. The only Gibsons that are investments are Vintage ones there might be a few odd ball Gibsons that will gain some value. All guitars usually depreciate some faster than others these over priced signature guitars will depreciate pretty fast IMHO.

John
There certainly is no point in this guitar as any kind of investment. It's not worth the £7700 it costs to buy now and it won't be worth that again for a long time. Even the best guitars from the 70's and 80's are only just coming back up to their original value now; 20-30 years with no increase in value isn't something any investor wants. Signature guitars struggle even more. Once Jimmy Page has been dead for two or three decades, then these guitars will start to climb in value. You're not going to reach five-figure prices though for another two or three decades on top of that though.

I still argue that if you buy a guitar as an investment you're doing it wrong, but eh. For what it's worth, it's pointless.

As an instrument to play it's also a total waste. For the same price you could buy two Custom Shop VOS 1958/1959/1960 Les Pauls plus have enough money left over for pickup changes or a new speaker cab. This guitar is over twice the price of a normal VOS Reissue LP, and for what? Some extra wiring options that you very well may not get much use out of and that you could wire in to any other existing guitar for next to nothing? **** that. Who needs coil split and series/parallel on the same guitar anyway? They sound so damn well close that most people can't tell the difference between them anyway.

I normally defend Gibson's recent ideas because I think they get unfairly jumped on just because "oh it's evil Gibson ****ing things up again" and people judge them before the guitar in question has even been released - but in the case of this, there really is no reason to bother. It's the same as any other CS LP but with some push-pull pots installed and more than twice the price. you would have to be a complete ****ing moron to ever consider this to be a worthwhile idea. If you got a VOS 1958 or 1959 Reissue Les Paul, took the cover off the bridge pickup and installed your own push-pull pots with series/parallel wiring, you would end up with the same (or arguably better) guitar for less than half the price. Anyone who buys this Jimmy Page LP is functionally retarded.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i think on the surface while it may seem like a 'bog standard' custom shop gibson les paul with a few extra switches and "jimmy page" written on it, there is every possibility that, just as i said about the jeff beck "oxblood" model, they might save their best pieces of wood for these models, thus making the guitar actually better than the "regular" custom shop models?

edit: ^ i find phil X very annoying.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube

edit: ^ i find phil X very annoying.
Seriously the dude can play fine and all, but he's a huge twat and I've yet to agree with anything he calls good or bad tone. It is probably just because I'm a huge Richie Sambroa fanboy, but there's one video where he's playing one of Richie's one-off guitars, signed by Richie, and yet he mentions how he wishes it wasn't signed because it would be worth more and be better unsigned. Like... what the ****. Wether you like a given guitarist or not is one thing, but if you have one of their unique, one-off guitars and they signed it, that makes it worth far more than if it was the same guitar that a custom shop had made randomly for the hell of it. If ****ing Avril Lavigne had a special guitar and she signed it, it would be worth a ****tonne even if it was fundamentally a bad guitar. Like... what the **** man. The guy has no clue about a guitar's worth. Sure, he can play. But he's a twat.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Seriously the dude can play fine and all, but he's a huge twat and I've yet to agree with anything he calls good or bad tone. It is probably just because I'm a huge Richie Sambroa fanboy, but there's one video where he's playing one of Richie's one-off guitars, signed by Richie, and yet he mentions how he wishes it wasn't signed because it would be worth more and be better unsigned. Like... what the ****. Wether you like a given guitarist or not is one thing, but if you have one of their unique, one-off guitars and they signed it, that makes it worth far more than if it was the same guitar that a custom shop had made randomly for the hell of it. If ****ing Avril Lavigne had a special guitar and she signed it, it would be worth a ****tonne even if it was fundamentally a bad guitar. Like... what the **** man. The guy has no clue about a guitar's worth. Sure, he can play. But he's a twat.

I remember that video.

I lol'd.

He said something like 'it's a cool guitar, signed by Ritchie Sambora, and that's... not cool..'
Quote by MrFlibble

exactly.. actually, i don't even like his playing that much - it just sounds so erratic and awkward, to me. And i hate the way his vintage guitar demos often seem like more of a demonstration of his fret-wankery that just doesn't do those guitars any real justice.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
…they might save their best pieces of wood for these models, thus making the guitar actually better than the "regular" custom shop models?.

Do you think they’re passing the wood through a CT scanner to check for internal defects or something?

And am I missing some difference in the models, or are they really asking $10,000 just for Page to sign a guitar?
Quote by jpnyc
Do you think they’re passing the wood through a CT scanner to check for internal defects or something?

i'm under the impression that you think that all pieces of mahogany or maple are exactly the same. correct me if i'm wrong.

Looks like... a Les Paul. Doesn't seem like the Frankenstein, Gilmour strat, or Lenny where it's ultra-iconic and immediately recognizable as theirs.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by Blompcube
exactly.. actually, i don't even like his playing that much - it just sounds so erratic and awkward, to me. And i hate the way his vintage guitar demos often seem like more of a demonstration of his fret-wankery that just doesn't do those guitars any real justice.
Well there is a huge portion of this too. I don't remember which one it is but there's one video of him 'demonstrating' a late 50's LP and he's playing through some old tweed combo amp, it would be a dream rig for a classic blues player, but he happily points out he's stuck a maxed-out overdrive pedal in front of it and starts shreeding the the top frets as if wanking the base was going to cause the headstock to shoot off.

That is problem with lots of gear demonstrations though. Everyone is either a guy with a beard to his knees trying to play the blues and producing nothing but empty repetitive licks straight out of a How To Imitate SRV For Dummies book or they're a 14-20 year old with terrible recording quality tryign to shred Metallica and Lamb Of God riffs at twice normal speed, ****ing everything up and showing off nothing.

A few months ago I had the idea to start recording demo videos of gear with the idea being my playing would be purposefully very simple and straight-forward so you heard nothing but the piece of equipment being shown off. Nothing fast, nothing slow. Everything at the same even pace, the camera getting a good clear shot of everything, not being recorded through a pod (I am so sick of pickup demos on YouTube where the guy has recorded through a Pod to his computer on some amp modelling software. WHAT IS THE ****ING POINT!?). Just straight-forward, this-is-this-piece-of-gear, this-is-what-it-sounds-like, nobody-cares-about-my-playing videos. I've switched to working on a rock music blog instead but if we ever get our reviews section well off the ground I may well go back and do some videos like that. Maybe it's just me but when I look up a demo of something, I don't care if the guy can shred a hundred notes in ten seconds, I don't care if the guy has toured for fifty years on the south Texas blues circuit, I don't care to hear you play four riffs by the same band and nothing else. I want a clear smaple of the clean tone, I want a clear smaple of a medium distorted tone, I want a clear sample of a heavily distorted tone, then I want you to run through the technical aspects of the thing, then I want you to **** off.

God damnit guitar players are such pricks.
Quote by MrFlibble
A few months ago I had the idea to start recording demo videos of gear with the idea being my playing would be purposefully very simple and straight-forward so you heard nothing but the piece of equipment being shown off. Nothing fast, nothing slow. Everything at the same even pace, the camera getting a good clear shot of everything, not being recorded through a pod (I am so sick of pickup demos on YouTube where the guy has recorded through a Pod to his computer on some amp modelling software. WHAT IS THE ****ING POINT!?). Just straight-forward, this-is-this-piece-of-gear, this-is-what-it-sounds-like, nobody-cares-about-my-playing videos. I've switched to working on a rock music blog instead but if we ever get our reviews section well off the ground I may well go back and do some videos like that. Maybe it's just me but when I look up a demo of something, I don't care if the guy can shred a hundred notes in ten seconds, I don't care if the guy has toured for fifty years on the south Texas blues circuit, I don't care to hear you play four riffs by the same band and nothing else. I want a clear smaple of the clean tone, I want a clear smaple of a medium distorted tone, I want a clear sample of a heavily distorted tone, then I want you to run through the technical aspects of the thing, then I want you to **** off.

I've been thinking the same thing.

But the problem is then you get a load of 14 year olds saying "wtf kind of lame shit are you playing **** off and go kill yourself u suck at guitar" in the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a50pCRVqnA these jawbonepress demos are alright but i'm sure i've seen some such comments like "wtf ud tink dat dey wud get ppl who can lyk play da guitar 4 dese demoes!" on them. I think they are probably the closest thing i've seen to actually showing how the guitars sound as opposed to how the guitarists can play them.

Wow, MrFlibble. I used to write long paragraphs on my opinions, but then I realized that noone really cares that much for the effort.]

good show tho
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Wow, MrFlibble. I used to write long paragraphs on my opinions, but then I realized that noone really cares that much for the effort.]

good show tho
These are very short posts by my standards. I genuinely do not understand why anyone writes much less. If what you want to say takes a single sentence, it's almost certainly not worth saying.

Quote by Blompcube
stuff
Oh **** you. I just got over my LP Jr GAS. Now I'm ****ed.
It's not a stupid decision.

Theres that film about Page...The Edge..and some other guy coming out isnt there? So its CLEVER DECISION, as some people may see the film, then be liek HELL YEAH I WANT A JIMMY PAGE LES PAUL, someone will buy it.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Well, MrFlibble, your posts are rather entertaining to read nonetheless.

I find quick methods though, as fire may erupt in the minds of the people reading my posts.

edit: THat being said, the differences in the models don't account for a price difference high enough to buy a new Les Paul Custom.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Dec 28, 2009,
I've been thinking the same thing.

But the problem is then you get a load of 14 year olds saying "wtf kind of lame shit are you playing **** off and go kill yourself u suck at guitar" in the comments.
/QUOTE]
No one is making you give a shit about what the idiot commenters says. It's not necessarily a problem.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
As far as wood goes no two pieces are the same! Even if it comes from the same tree and the same section, wood grain varies greatly you can sift thru it and find pieces that look exactly alike but one could be denser than the other, inside the grain might vary. Unless a guitar company is running the wood thru some testing sequence to match each individual section you never going to get exactly the same body specs on two guitars. Wood is naturally inconsistent. You can take ten guitar from any company made the same day one after another and find each has their own personality. There is no way to really recreate vintage even with speeding up the aging process and or making it look aged. Myself I prefer a nice new guitar with no imperfections and let it age with my an my playing style not someone elses.

I'm sorry but for a few little options and the fake aging it's no better than any other Gibson Les Paul made in the high end range or from the custom shop and probably not much better than the lower end range. After all most Les Pauls are the same except for some trim and different inlays.

You got to give Gibson an A for trying to rip off some extra bucks from Page fans!

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Well... it's a replica of one specific 1959 les paul, it's supposed to look like that les paul.

When that specific 1959 les paul was made was it worn or are they replicating a worn out now a days 59 les paul?
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
When Page got his guitar I am sure it was brand spankin new and wore in the decades he played. No matter how Gibson or Page fans try and justify this guitar it's still not worth more than $3000.00 IMO no new Gibson is. It will never play or sound better than most regular production Les Pauls at a fraction of the cost and the people who do buy these are just SUCKERS with more money than brains.

I think all these signature, aged guitars that are stupid especially at those outrageous prices.

Make us quality guitar we can afford!!!!!

John
Page 1 of 2