Before we start incase you don't know EBT is the modern form of food stamps. It's like a debit card; instead of using actual stamps. Essentially the same thing though.

I live in California and I work at a Rite Aid. All the time I see people coming in to my store buying all sorts of junk food including candy and ice cream with their EBT cards. Sometimes I'll even see people buying an expensive bottle of alcohol with their money and at the same time ringing up a good size bill on candy and ice cream with their EBT

I want to point out one specific incident that happened. A lady came in and bought 30 dollars worth of christmas candy telling me it is stocking stuffers for her kids. It bothers me that our tax dollars are going to this lady so she can buy candy for a religious holiday.

Some would argue: Imagine how this lady and her kids would feel if she couldn't afford christmas presents? Pretty bad right? It is good to help the needy.

Counter argument: Imagine how the thousands of people in our country feel who can't even afford to feed their family a descent meal. If we're gonna pay for somebodies food should it go to the person who needs a meal before it goes to the person who needs to buy their kids candy for a religious holiday?

Now don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay a tax to help people but the way that I have witnessed EBT being used is not fulfilling its purpose-"The Food Share Program provides nutrition assistance to people with low incomes. It can help you buy nutritious foods for a better diet." (http://oconto.uwex.edu/wnep/documents/PURPOSEOFFOODSTAMPS.pdf). You can find some variation of this quote wherever the Food Stamp program is being described. How does ice cream and candy "provide nutrition assistance"?
Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't

I don't mind helping people afford to eat but when they are going to abuse this help that's crossing the line.
I'm not saying do away with the whole program but what I am saying is that there needs to be more specific regulations on what you can buy with the EBT card.

For any of you labelers out there this may make me seam like my ideals are "conservative" or "republican," but the truth is my ideals are mine. Perhaps in this case my opinion is shared with the "conservatives" but that doesn't mean I associate myself with that party or those people (or any for that matter). I represent my mind and what I have come to realize is right or moral through my experiences. I urge you to do the same.
I believe that one big reason why this country is so divided is because of these labels. Ignorant people will often reject logical ideals because it is a "conservative" way to think or "liberal" way to think. Why not think for yourself for once. Don't be another blind follower. Anyway that's another topic but for now.....Food Stamp Abuse......What do you think? Agree, Disagree, What?
I agree fully. If you are going to take public money, we are going to decide what you can and can't buy with it.
Check out my band Disturbed
you mean welfare doesn't work? nonsense

DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
there are two categories of food stamp benefits that someone can receive: a cash portion and a food portion.

The food portion is more regulated, you can't get stuff like energy drinks, "hot" food, beer, cigarettes, etc. The cash portion is less regulated. People can get pretty much whatever they want (I think even tobacco and alcohol, but i could be wrong). Not sure what the point of all that was, but I guess I have to agree that it should be a little bit more regulated. I know when I cashier at work the computer automatically removes items that aren't eligible to be bought with EBT and leaves them as a separate balance, but that's only on the food portion.

EDIT: yes it's true, you can buy tobacco and alcohol with the cash portion because you can withdraw money with your EBT card as if it was an ATM.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Dec 25, 2009,
I immediately thought of overdose when I read the title.

'911, whats your emergency?'
'It's bob! He's overdosed on food stamps!'
'Oh my god, we'll send an ambulance right away!'
Quote by misterfarenheit
can't really enforce on stuff like that, food stamps are rationed like paychecks, you can't dictate what other people buy with their money.

the only thing we can do is cry while watching our tax dollars do nothing.

I don't see why not because if i ring up some food items that are eligible for stamps and then some that are not and then they swipe the card. it automatically pays for only the eligible items. So why don't we add ice cream and candy to the list of ineligible items?
Last edited by Aaron321 at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by Aaron321
I don't see why not because if i ring up some food items that are eligible for stamps and then some that are not and then they swipe the card. it automatically pays for only the eligible items. So why don't we add ice cream and candy to the list of ineligible items?

Because they're the most important part of the food pyramid. Didn't you learn anything in school?

I disagree about the whole "religious holiday" thing. At this point Christmas is pretty much a secular holiday, most of the common traditions are Pagan, but not many know that. Besides, I don't really see why it would be an important point if it were religious.

Is there some sort of limit to these cards that they use? Sorry, I'm Canadian, I have no idea how your welfare system works. If there is a limit than I don't see the problem, if they want to waste their welfare on malnourishment than it's their health that will suffer in the long run.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
TC, I agree with most of your arguments. However...

Christmas really doesn't have much to do with religion anymore. Now day and time, Christmas is pretty secular. It's a time to spend with your family that you wouldn't otherwise usually visit. A time to exchange gifts with people and generally build a happy atmosphere for kids. Referring to it as a religious holiday is pretty invalid nowadays.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
I work at a gas station and see this crap all the time and it's frustrating. I saw one couple feed $80 into an instant lotto machine and then come up to pay for their items with EBT, I wanted to ask them what they were thinking. No wonder our country is full of obese people, we pay them to eat junk.
Quote by Hobble
Because they're the most important part of the food pyramid. Didn't you learn anything in school?

I disagree about the whole "religious holiday" thing. At this point Christmas is pretty much a secular holiday, most of the common traditions are Pagan, but not many know that. Besides, I don't really see why it would be an important point if it were religious.

Is there some sort of limit to these cards that they use? Sorry, I'm Canadian, I have no idea how your welfare system works. If there is a limit than I don't see the problem, if they want to waste their welfare on malnourishment than it's their health that will suffer in the long run.

there are limits depending on each person's situation and I would assume it varies state to state. For the religion part this is how I see it. Hypothetically if Christmas didn't exist then that lady most like wouldn't be spending the tax dollars on that candy because she bought that Candy specifically for Christmas. But because Christmas does exist so therefor the tax money does get spent. Even though the holiday has evolved to be not so religious
not everybody celebrates Christmas. The people who celebrate Christmas in a non religious way are just conforming to the majority, so that's what happened, but in the end the true meaning behind christmas is to celebrate the birth of the holy savior or whatever. So that's where my view comes from. It probably wouldn't be a major argument in a debate but it is something.

and for this statement: "If they want to waste their welfare on malnourishment than it's their health that will suffer in the long run."

It is their health that is going to suffer but our wallets will too. So why not kill two birds with one stone.

We stop paying for their junk food so they are healthier and in turn we all have more money. If they want to go get fat they should do it on their own dollar.
for those who agree it is time to make a stand. Spread to word, convince people, raise awareness, whatever you can do.
You think that's bad? I knew some drug dealers who would get paid - partially - in food stamps sometimes (for heroin). They would flip 'em for half the face value, or occasionally actually use them themselves for stuff like you mentioned. Pretty sad...

Quote by meta1militia
TC, I agree with most of your arguments. However...

Christmas really doesn't have much to do with religion anymore. Now day and time, Christmas is pretty secular. It's a time to spend with your family that you wouldn't otherwise usually visit. A time to exchange gifts with people and generally build a happy atmosphere for kids. Referring to it as a religious holiday is pretty invalid nowadays.

It has taken on a very secular overtone, but Easter has been commercialized as well! Quite a few people still go to Christmas mass, and outside the US you'll find that it is only celebrated as a religious holiday by many.
Last edited by bajeda at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by bajeda
It has taken on a very secular overtone, but Easter has been commercialized as well! Quite a few people still go to Christmas mass, and outside the US you'll find that it is only celebrated as a religious holiday by many.

There are people who celebrate it religiously, but for many it is Santa and not Jesus that is the figure head for the holiday, and no one prays to Santa (except maybe young children.)Also, the fact that atheist celebrate Christmas pretty much solidifies it as more of a cultural holiday than religious.... but that isn't the point of this thread. Food stamps should be used to pay for food that you need not your booze and junkfood.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...