I want you all to know about TONSTARTSSBANDHT
pronounced: "tahn-starts-bandit"

They are two brothers from Florida. They live in Montréal.

They released two albums in 2009

Tonstartssbandht - An When (click to download)

A few songs to sample from An When:
Black Country
5FT7
Midnite Cobras (video starring Beyoncé!)

Tonstartssbandht - Dick Nights (click to download)

A few songs to sample from Dick Nights:
Preston Great-Ass Imfat
Tahiti Nui

I don't want to download free music or stream any of their songs until you tell me what they sound like!!
They started getting covered by blogs around the time last Spring/Summer that "chillwave" (cf. washed out, neon indian, memory tapes, etc.) was gaining traction as a hip new trend, and they are similar to those bands in some ways. They use fuzzed-out samples and live instrumentation simultaneously. They often base songs around multi-part vocal harmonies. What makes them different from the chillwave bands is their energy and personality. The energy comes from their willingless to use powerful, treble-kicking noise to its full effect--listen to "Midnite Cobras" or "Black Country" above to hear what I mean. When they play live they don't stand behind laptops whatsoever. On songs where they don't play instruments they tend to take their shirts off and dance around the stage wildly while singing. When they do play isntruments, it's massive. Their personality comes from their omnipresent sense of humor coupled with the emotional capacity of their voices. So they're similar to chillwave, but more fun, vibrant, and evocative than any of the bros who hit it big on the blogs last summer. This is why they're poised to blow up in the coming year. JUST LISTEN TO IT YOU GUYS and get acquainted with them early, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!!

MYSPACE

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if there's a rule in A/I about not posting links to full album downloads, but the ones I posted are officially sanctioned by the band, so it should be allright.

Enjoyyy

ev
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
DISCLAIMER: I don't know if there's a rule in A/I about not posting links to full album downloads, but the ones I posted are officially sanctioned by the band, so it should be allright.

which is not to suggest that this is some kind of payola thing, but full disclosure: ive met the guys and everything (they're friends of friends) and they're nice as can be, but im just a genuine fan and would be regardless of whether i knew them IRL
Last edited by *Truly Ninja* at Dec 25, 2009,
i spy a lookalike!
http://www.myspace.com/goldenbirthday

i don't know about this chillwave, glo-fi thing going on now. don't get me wrong, i love me some noised-up vocals, and fuzz works well with most anything--but it seems like a lot of these groups are fixed on recreating the same atmosphere. And it's all atmospherics here. Chillwave artists would do themselves some good to speed up the tempo (like golden birthday and neon indian) and lose their big aspirations in the song's structure. and quit drenching their shit in reverb--glo-fi is a narrow genre otherwise.

SLAM
i'll give it a listen (and a look into whether those links will stay), but i'll have you know that most chillwave doesn't thrill me. well, except Washed Out.
New song up on their myspace called "electric dragon sword" that's really good!

http://www.myspace.com/tonstartssbandht

It's gonna be the B-side to their new single (a cover of "its only love" by some swedish psych band i think) which debuted on Gorilla vs Bear a little while ago in the same post as Flying Lotuses "i feel like dying" rmx

http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2009/12/its-only-love-i-feel-like-dying.html