i'm looking to get a decent sized practice amp for home, and i'm wondering what one would be better.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15-1x8-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=501641

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669

i'm into playing metal music (mostly) and i don't think i'll need to worry about the distortion from the amp as i already own pedals for that. which one would be the better of the two?
i'm not making much money right now so my budget is extremely tight as i'm 16 and not working.

yeah i know i'm not looking for gigs, but i just need SOME kind of upgrade over my AWFUL squire 10 watt amp. i just saw that they were a rather cheap 99 and became interested.

i like playing stuff like at the gates, in flames, mastodon, between the buried and me, opeth. that kinda stuff.
the fender would do better, as you'll only really need a clean channel since you've got dist. pedals, etc. not that this amp is anything to brag about, but for practice it'll be alright. if you could spring for a fender super champ, that'd prolly be a good bit better though. i just hope your pedals have a good amount of gain in them, and don't sound nasty and harsh at the same time, cuz that's usually NOT the case haha.

but i definitely feel ya on needing an upgrade, i played my FirstAct 1 watt amp which had a 4" speaker and tone/volume knobs and that was it....for like 2 years...then i got an ibanez toneblaster that i thought was AWESOME compared to that crappy lil amp (which i still have in my room lol...sentimental reasons). then i upgraded a year later to a Vox AD30VT, which i think was relatively new to the scene when i picked it up, and eventually moved on to a more professional amp like the one i have now.

some people, like me and you, have to take baby steps. others are lucky enough that either their daily schedule allowed them to put in enough hours at work so that they could save up for a really nice amp in a short time, or had relatives that were fortunate enough to just help them pay for most/all of a nice amp. one thing's for sure, you'll appreciate a great amp THAT much better when you finally get to that point.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Haha how did i know it was going to be both of those?
Any who go with a peavey vypyr 30w if 200 is your max.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
the fender would do better, as you'll only really need a clean channel since you've got dist. pedals, etc. not that this amp is anything to brag about, but for practice it'll be alright. if you could spring for a fender super champ, that'd prolly be a good bit better though. i just hope your pedals have a good amount of gain in them, and don't sound nasty and harsh at the same time, cuz that's usually NOT the case haha.

but i definitely feel ya on needing an upgrade, i played my FirstAct 1 watt amp which had a 4" speaker and tone/volume knobs and that was it....for like 2 years...then i got an ibanez toneblaster that i thought was AWESOME compared to that crappy lil amp (which i still have in my room lol...sentimental reasons). then i upgraded a year later to a Vox AD30VT, which i think was relatively new to the scene when i picked it up, and eventually moved on to a more professional amp like the one i have now.

some people, like me and you, have to take baby steps. others are lucky enough that either their daily schedule allowed them to put in enough hours at work so that they could save up for a really nice amp in a short time, or had relatives that were fortunate enough to just help them pay for most/all of a nice amp. one thing's for sure, you'll appreciate a great amp THAT much better when you finally get to that point.

haha yeah, i agree. i just need some kind of upgrade over this staticy box of mine. i also saw that you have an agile al3000 les paul. i have one also! great guitar!

anyways, so apparently either the fender or the peavey vypyr would be my best choices?
Vypyr or save up.

Both the MG and FM are crap.

And better you don't use pedals with the Vypyr, if you get it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Vypyr or save up.

Both the MG and FM are crap.

And better you don't use pedals with the Vypyr, if you get it.

QFT
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
The new MGs are a lot better than the older models, but you could still do better with a Vypyr or a Valvetronix.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

No $99 amp is going to be a significant upgrade over what you've already got.

If you do have a source of income you'll want to seriously consider saving up for something that's substantially better. $300 can get you into some entry level tube amps that will blow away anything you're looking at right now.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i MIGHT be able to get some help into the $300 range.

so apprently either the peavey vypyrs or valvetronix would be some of my better choices? i was kinda sold on the vypyrs but i'm reading reviews on it and i looks like a decent portion of them have problems with it locking up? i don't know. i kinda want something that is reliable, or are the vypyrs pretty reliable?
Until 12/31 there’s a $50 rebate from the Vox web site for the small Valvetronix amps, so you can get a VT30 for $260 and get a $50 check in a month or two.
What pedals do you have?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Axeaman
What pedals do you have?

not too many. just a digitech grunge distortion and a vox wah.
I would have to vouch for the Peavey Bandit (<3 solid state). It has a fairly decent clean channel, overdrive is not bad also.

80watts should be enough for playing with a drummer
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."