I just sold my Orange RV50C. Great amp, just wasn't me.. I'm definitely after the Marshall tone, and after extensive research, have narrowed my choices down to:

JCM 800 2203 Reissue
JCM 900 4100 Reissue
Vintage Modern 100
JVM 410H

The 800 annoys me because the lack of a dedicated clean channel. I also hear the 900's have a somewhat bad rep on the net, but I'm guessing this is by 15 year olds with MG's and too much spare time.. The Vintage Modern I'm not 100% sold on, not sure if It's "gainy" enough.. and the JVM looks like ALOT of mucking around and may be TOO modern for my taste :S. Tone I'm after is indie/alternative rock (The Strokes, The Kooks, Arctic Monkeys), classic rock, ala GNR, AC/DC, Grunge ala Nirvana, however also some more modern hi-gain tones..

Help?
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
if you're worried any amp might not be gainy enough, you can boost using an OD pedal like the tubescreamer. its a very common method of achieving heavier tones with amps that are more rock oriented.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
As the Vintage Modern series seems to be on the way out, there are some very good deals available on them now. It should serve you well, and you could always get a good distortion pedal for your very high gain tones. If you want it all in one amplifier, then get the JVM410H.
how about getting a jvm210 / 205.

not as much messing about. can get very good old school distortion out of it
I hate it when people ask it in threads like this one, but:

Why Marshall?

If you live in the US you could do better with a Splawn.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp

Why Marshall?

Down under in Australia dude..
Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
Quote by JesusCrisp

Why Marshall?

Definately. The Splawn Quick Rod is Eddie's tone.
There's my way and the wrong way.
i recommend a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by asr_larocca
Down under in Australia dude..

I'd say your options for Marshall-y sound are:

Marshall JVM
Marshall DSL
Blackstar Series One
H&K Switchblade
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You're right about the JCM900 copping a lot of flak. I have a 4102 which is probably the most maligned version of all but I have found it to be very versatile and works very well for the type of music you mentioned so don't disregard it out of hand until you try it for yourself. It isn't the favourite of the amps I own (my favourite being a more obscure Aussie built valve amp) but it does perform very well. Being a combo it's the amp I use when just sitting in with other bands or going to jam sessions, it's easy and very versatile; I just grab it, my guitar and go - it's never let me down.
I suggest you find a joint that rents amps and try some. Unless you have an amp for a decent amount of time to play with it you will never know how well it suits you. Five minutes in a guitar shop just doesn't cut it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by asr_larocca
I just sold my Orange RV50C. Great amp, just wasn't me.. I'm definitely after the Marshall tone, and after extensive research, have narrowed my choices down to:

JCM 800 2203 Reissue
JCM 900 4100 Reissue
Vintage Modern 100
JVM 410H

The 800 annoys me because the lack of a dedicated clean channel. I also hear the 900's have a somewhat bad rep on the net, but I'm guessing this is by 15 year olds with MG's and too much spare time.. The Vintage Modern I'm not 100% sold on, not sure if It's "gainy" enough.. and the JVM looks like ALOT of mucking around and may be TOO modern for my taste :S. Tone I'm after is indie/alternative rock (The Strokes, The Kooks, Arctic Monkeys), classic rock, ala GNR, AC/DC, Grunge ala Nirvana, however also some more modern hi-gain tones..

Help?

Right mate. So you're after the 80's rock tone, but you don't like the lack of a clean channel on the 800? Get the 2205/10 800 and you get a clean channel, plus more gain. It doesn't sound as "classic" as the 2203/2204 models, but the gain is a lot better, tighter and punchier, and I think the 2205/10 responds better to pedals.

I can nail a really sick Arctic Monkeys tone with my 2210, plus a good early Muse song (Origin of Symmetry) and a pretty tight Slash tone (Use Your Illusions more so than Appetite) and a good Strokes/Killers tone when I roll back the gain, and a really, really good Silversun Pickups tone when I use my Artcore instead of my SG.

I would seriously look into the 2210 model.

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'd look into finding one of the old split channel JCM 800s from the '80s, or getting a Vintage Modern and a Tubescreamer and going to town!

That's what I got. A Marshall JCM-800 2210 from 1987. (Verified by an authenticated contact)

This is my amp herself. She's named Llewellyn.

Quote by JesusCrisp

Why Marshall?

Splawns are more expensive. You can get slightly lesser quality for a lot lesser price if you look on the resale market.

Granted, Splawns are technically better sounding.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 25, 2009,
Buy a used 900.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
the vintage modern is great for gnr, ac/dc, and nirvana type tone. i'd get a tube screamer or something though if you want alot more gain than that. (as mentioned above)
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
id go with a jvm or the 900. i like the jvm the most. a lot of controls, but its a really nice head. you have a lot of room to get a lot of different tones.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Get an original 800 second hand. They're very raw sounding amps. Brilliantly simple, although disgustingly loud.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Get an original 800 second hand. They're very raw sounding amps. Brilliantly simple, although disgustingly loud.

This.

Personally I'd get a Ceriatone 2555 'Silver Jubilee' clone - much much better than Marshall's own JCM800 Reissue.
Quote by kyle62
This.

Personally I'd get a Ceriatone 2555 'Silver Jubilee' clone - much much better than Marshall's own JCM800 Reissue.

The Jubilee is a good amp for harder rock tones, but I'm not a big fan of how it sounds with the gain dialed back.

It beats out a new Marshall any day.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Right mate. So you're after the 80's rock tone, but you don't like the lack of a clean channel on the 800? Get the 2205/10 800 and you get a clean channel, plus more gain. It doesn't sound as "classic" as the 2203/2204 models, but the gain is a lot better, tighter and punchier, and I think the 2205/10 responds better to pedals.

I can nail a really sick Arctic Monkeys tone with my 2210, plus a good early Muse song (Origin of Symmetry) and a pretty tight Slash tone (Use Your Illusions more so than Appetite) and a good Strokes/Killers tone when I roll back the gain, and a really, really good Silversun Pickups tone when I use my Artcore instead of my SG.

I would seriously look into the 2210 model.

That's what I got. A Marshall JCM-800 2210 from 1987. (Verified by an authenticated contact)

This is my amp herself. She's named Llewellyn.

Splawns are more expensive. You can get slightly lesser quality for a lot lesser price if you look on the resale market.

Granted, Splawns are technically better sounding.

Dude, thats gorgeous. I have looked into the 2210's. Try find one here in Aus though :S
Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
Quote by asr_larocca
Dude, thats gorgeous. I have looked into the 2210's. Try find one here in Aus though :S

I'll sell you mine for 2000USD and you pay shipping.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society