[Before you all read my *incredibly* beginner question, i got my guitar about 2 days ago, everyone has to start somewhere and im sure you guys were at one time in the same place im in now, thanks for all the help guys]

I have an ibanez GRG170dx guitar and a peavey vypyr 15W amp. The amp has a built in chromatic tuner its kind of hard to explain how it functions but if you have a better look at the picture below you might have an idea.

Basically the lights around the first dial show the note your playing (or the closest one to it) and the lights around the second dial depending if theyre to the left or the right of the 12 oclock position tell you wether your sharp or flat and to tune up (or down).

My problem is when i was often tuning (this happened on most of the strings) for example my thinnest E string, it would say most of the time it was A# or G or B but hardly ever E; So, so i would just tune little by little in random directions until it detected it as E.

This worked for a while until when i was tuning like this i snapped the string (stupid mistake, i know).

So a silly question (but really thanks for all the help though) what is the order of the notes.. like is it A->G->E->F ect, this way so i know when it detects my E string as F or something i know whether to loosen or tighten the string to try get it to E.

Cheers, kingpomba.
Last edited by kingpomba at Dec 25, 2009,
The notes just follow the alphabet. A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# and repeat.

If your tuner says the E is an F, you would tune down. If its D/D#, then tune up.

IMO, I would just get a standalone tuner, that one sounds a little "difficult".

Merry Christmas yo
has a terrible signature.
The tuner error happens on one of my cheap tuners

it like says A with perfect but it will be a perfect E, it just gets confused for some reason

just get a decent stand alone one, that way you don't have to fiddle with your amp half way through and adjust settings by accident it will prob only set you back $20 anyway
Agreed. The tuners built into multi-effects pedals (as yours appears to be) are always really funky. The 'standard' tuner is the Korg chromatic, and goes for $20-$25.

Also, Merry Christmas from me too.
My tuner cost me £17 and its lasted me 5 years on the same set of batteries. Boss black and orange one ftw!
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
it`s just poor tracking on the tuner, get a standalone tuner prefrebably one made by korg (they have the best tracking), also check the tuner is calibrated properly A=440 Hz (should be a function on the tuner to set this).

once you`ve got it back in tune, use either the 5th fret method or the harmonic method to hear the relationship between the strings.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Dec 25, 2009,
The GRG is a great beginners guitar

Anyways, buy a separete tuner. Helps alot!

Merry christmas!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Hey thanks for all the help guys,

It goes: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# but there are 2 E strings.. im confused?

Yeah, I'll definitely look into the stand alone tuner, while I'm shopping do you guys have any recommendations for strings (Can i seriously mess something up if i replace it myself or will it be fine? - i read something about if i get a thicker gauge than was originally on the guitar something might need adjusting.. at least i think it said that..)

Merry christmas mates
Last edited by kingpomba at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by kingpomba
Hey thanks for all the help guys,

It goes: A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# but there are 2 E strings.. im confused?

Yeah, I'll definitely look into the stand alone tuner, while I'm shopping do you guys have any recommendations for strings (Can i seriously mess something up if i replace it myself or will it be fine?)

Merry christmas mates

It'll be fine as long as you tune them to the right notes and don't tune them all to either the same frequency, or to higher than they should be.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Do you mean like high E and low E? If you mean that, then the thickest and thinnest strings are tuned the same.

Strings, maybe some Ernie Ball 9's? They are in a pink package, you can't miss 'em
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
it will register both E and e, as far a strings are concerned your guitar was factory fitted with quality strings - daddario exl 120 9 - 42 - stick with them, check the sticky setup thread for info on how to restring. (just do 1 at a time but always replace the set never 1 on it`s own)....

there`s so many different tuners depends on your budget but korg and boss make great tuners....
my grg170dx came with 9-46 strings, i made the mistake of getting 9-42s the first time.

But it will go EADGBE for standard tuning once you get it the first few times it becomes pretty simple i had a few issues with it at first as well