Can a 500 watt bass amp head ( 8 ohm is the only option ) be used with a 400 watt cab (8 ohm only option)?

For some reason I thought the cab had to be more watts than the head, but I dont know jack
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
It will work no problem.
Generally you do want the cab to be rated to more watts than the head but it is not a necessity, as long as you don't crank the head. You can run a 100watt cab off of a 500 watts head, you just got to be careful to not put to many watts through the cab.
You can't, unless you like the sound of speaker overdrive and would like to run the risk of blowing the speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Gmarkey
Can a 500 watt bass amp head ( 8 ohm is the only option ) be used with a 400 watt cab (8 ohm only option)?

For some reason I thought the cab had to be more watts than the head, but I dont know jack

I dont know much either haha. Maybe I can add to the question.

Does it matter what Watt anything is for it to be compatible with each other? Or does everything work with everything essentially?
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
Essentially everything will work with anything, when it comes to this stuff. The major thing to look out for is ohms. If you mix them up you can over stress the amp/head.

Just don't crank the head if you end up getting such a system.
Last edited by natesrecord at Dec 25, 2009,
you'll blow out the speakers dude...dont do it
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Im gettin some mixed answers lol. Its my brothers new amp, hes playin it now and it seems fine but hes at a low volume. So apparently we need to go buy a cab with 500+ watts at 8 ohms?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
Quote by Gmarkey
Im gettin some mixed answers lol. Its my brothers new amp, hes playin it now and it seems fine but hes at a low volume. So apparently we need to go buy a cab with 500+ watts at 8 ohms?

Yes. If you turn it up you will distort the speakers, and if you turn it up more you'll blow the speakers.
You should. At some point, your brother will probably be running his amp loud and I (personally) wouldn't want to take the risk of blowing speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
k thanks for the advice, merry xmas
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo