Hey guys! Merry Christmas!

Just want to dive into a small list of questions I've got.

1. I've been feeding my metal zone into my VK112's front end (all stock). From what I understand, real distortion comes from the power amps, so would plugging my metal zone into my effects return and totally skipping the preamp be a good idea?

2. I unplugged my VK112's spring reverb pan, because although it gave my sound more headroom, I had to have my reverb on max to make it sound nice (and that's just to much reverb). Should I get a new reverb pan or just a pedal? Which sounds best on a tube amp?

3. The amp has a 6 jacks in total. 2 inputs, effects send/return, footswitch and external speaker out. Is there a way that I can plug that external speaker out into a computer or guitar processor for recording? I've heard of people plugging into the wrong stuff and exploding their amps.

4. What exactly does a clean boost (fuzz pedal with gain down )do for the OD channel?

Happy Holidays!
Vlad
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Quote by zeemonkey

1. I've been feeding my metal zone into my VK112's front end (all stock). From what I understand, real distortion comes from the power amps, so would plugging my metal zone into my effects return and totally skipping the preamp be a good idea?

2. I unplugged my VK112's spring reverb pan, because although it gave my sound more headroom, I had to have my reverb on max to make it sound nice (and that's just to much reverb). Should I get a new reverb pan or just a pedal? Which sounds best on a tube amp?

3. The amp has a 6 jacks in total. 2 inputs, effects send/return, footswitch and external speaker out. Is there a way that I can plug that external speaker out into a computer or guitar processor for recording? I've heard of people plugging into the wrong stuff and exploding their amps.

4. What exactly does a clean boost (fuzz pedal with gain down )do for the OD channel?

Happy Holidays!
Vlad

1. You could do that, but it wouldn't necessarily sound good (I personally hate the sound of running pedals into the power amp. I like a little preamp coloring) You could run your Metal Zone as a boost over your drive channel as well. It would sound much better (to my ears)

2. If you want reverb, buy a pedal and run it through the loop.

3. Speaker outs are not line signals. They connect to speakers and should not be plugged into anything but.

4. A boost will drive your preamp tubes harder. They also (generally TS based clones or ODs with more compression) boost mids while cutting bass to achieve a more tight and defined feel in your amp. What this sounds like to our ears is more distortion and less flub and muddiness. Some feel an amp sounds restrained when boosting. I feel it depends on the amp.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by zeemonkey

Happy Holidays!
Vlad

1 - distortion comes from preamp and power amp overdrive. what kind of distortion depends on which part you overdrive. modern metal is preamp overdrive, classic rock is more power amp overdrive. so in front of the amp is where most would place the pedal. nothing wrong with doing it in the loop i spose, ymmv.

2. - There are better ways to get more headroom. check in the valveking thread - they have tube swaps that can help and other options.

3. - not that i'm aware of. jump the loop if you aren't using it, and put a dummy jack in input 1. plug guitar into input 2. those are a couple things the vk thread will rec. for a cheap way to record, get a zoom h2 or other simple recording device.

4 - it boosts it.

said vk thread... merry xmass.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&highlight=valveking+thread
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
1. You could do that, but it wouldn't necessarily sound good (I personally hate the sound of running pedals into the power amp. I like a little preamp coloring) You could run your Metal Zone as a boost over your drive channel as well. It would sound much better (to my ears)

2. If you want reverb, buy a pedal and run it through the loop.

3. Speaker outs are not line signals. They connect to speakers and should not be plugged into anything but.

4. A boost will drive your preamp tubes harder. They also (generally TS based clones or ODs with more compression) boost mids while cutting bass to achieve a more tight and defined feel in your amp. What this sounds like to our ears is more distortion and less flub and muddiness. Some feel an amp sounds restrained when boosting. I feel it depends on the amp.

First off, thank you for being so helpful. What I've taken from this is no playing around with the speaker ext. Try the metal zone into the front end, then in the effects return and judge the sound for myself. And to try my metal zone with no gain into the crunch channel and see which of the three suits my needs best. I'll keep all of this in mind the next time I want to bother the neighbors Merry Christmas man!
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Quote by zeemonkey
First off, thank you for being so helpful. What I've taken from this is no playing around with the speaker ext. Try the metal zone into the front end, then in the effects return and judge the sound for myself. And to try my metal zone with no gain into the crunch channel and see which of the three suits my needs best. I'll keep all of this in mind the next time I want to bother the neighbors Merry Christmas man!

No problem.

Try putting the level on your pedal to full and keep the gain at a minimum. You might have to tweak the EQ on the pedal to dial out any harshness.

Happy tone hunting man. Merry Christmas!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
No problem.

Try putting the level on your pedal to full and keep the gain at a minimum. You might have to tweak the EQ on the pedal to dial out any harshness.

Happy tone hunting man. Merry Christmas!

nice sig btw. I was cracking up for a good two minutes then.
Quote by Twist of fate