Hey everyone, i am looking to buy a new guitar but I cant decide which one to get. I own an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic, I was going to put EMG 85 and 81's into my baby to make it even more bad ass; however my local music store is extremely over priced, they are charging 239.99 for the pickups (Good price) and a horrid 150 dollars to install them. So i am just looking for a new guitar all together now.

I play both metal and classical music. But sense my Les Paul already has an amazing clean sound, im looking for a guitar designed for playing metal. My budget is 1000 dollars or less. Any ideas? Any no, I don't want a fender stratocaster : P.

Thanks guys
Last edited by cRobson at Dec 25, 2009,
I dont understand if you already like your guitar and don't to pay the $150 for installation, why spend $1000 on a guitar you might not even need, if you dont even want to pay $150?

You could also learn to solder them in yourself. It's not really that hard.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Dec 25, 2009,
if you are willing to pay the $1000 for a new guitar then you should just pay the $150 for pickup installation. the EMG's will sound great and you wont be disappointed.
What amp do you have? And you realise that the new EMG designs make the whole affair practically a one handed job. I don't get how your shop is charging you $150 for the job but that's pretty much a giant rip off for what is practically just connecting a bunch of clips together. Anyway if you have no problems with buying online then I'd suggest you do that and get the EMG's for under $200 (easily had nowadays) and do the installation yourself and spend/save the rest.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
I dont understand if you already like your guitar and don't to pay the $150 for installation, why spend $1000 on a guitar you might not even need, if you dont even want to pay $150?

You could also learn to solder them in yourself. It's not really that hard.

Because if I'm going to spend about 400 dollars + tax, so about 450 dollars on new pickups I might as well buy a new guitar for that price. Yes, it is true I have the money to spare for the pickups and a new guitar but I also want to spend my money wisely.

I know it isn't difficult to install what so ever, but the thought of me screwing up my guitar terrifies me

Quote by azn_guitarist25
What amp do you have? And you realise that the new EMG designs make the whole affair practically a one handed job. I don't get how your shop is charging you $150 for the job but that's pretty much a giant rip off for what is practically just connecting a bunch of clips together. Anyway if you have no problems with buying online then I'd suggest you do that and get the EMG's for under $200 (easily had nowadays) and do the installation yourself and spend/save the rest.

I own 75w Line 6 Spider III amp. Does the new design also include not soldering the pickups on? I dont really have an issue buying the pickups, but the installing fee bugs me ALOT.

Also I refuse to order stuff online because of what happened when I order my ZOOM G1XN guitar pedal; Took the company (Musicwonderland) 2 months to ship, refused to give me my tracking number, horrible customer service, than when I finally received it, it was broken. So I had to pay to ship it back and I have yet to get my money back.
New Amp!
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Matt S I dont play gigs, for a practice and bedroom amp it does everything I need it to do. Plus it sounds much much better than my shitty Fender Amp. I also use a Zoom G1XN to make it sound even better
Why don’t you just find a local tech who won’t rip you off on the install charge and buy the pickups from an online store?
EMGs will sound terrible in a crappy combo amp like a Line 6, sorry. I dont gig either, yet I spent the cash for a better amp than a Line 6, and will probably spend more money again soon for the new 6505+ 112.

Youre better off getting a new amp, or a better passive set.

Also I refuse to order stuff online because of what happened when I order my ZOOM G1XN guitar pedal; Took the company (Musicwonderland) 2 months to ship, refused to give me my tracking number, horrible customer service, than when I finally received it, it was broken. So I had to pay to ship it back and I have yet to get my money back.

Just because some miniscule online vendor screwed you over, doesnt mean a reputable one like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend would, I order from MF all the time, everything is on time and customer service is a dream.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9
EMGs will sound terrible in a crappy combo amp like a Line 6, sorry. I dont gig either, yet I spent the cash for a better amp than a Line 6, and will probably spend more money again soon for the new 6505+ 112.

Youre better off getting a new amp, or a better passive set.

My friend was over the other day with his Jackson KE3 with EMG 85 81 in it and it sounded delightful. I have a 30w Fender amp; he only reason I use my Line 6 is because it has much less feed back and buzz. Anyways, as i said before I'm getting a new guitar and not the pickups. Even if I do end up getting the pickups, it won't bug me that I'm using a Line 6, and if I must i will just use my fender amp. Either way it will sound better than the pickups that are already in my les paul...

Quote by Mitochondria9
Just because some miniscule online vendor screwed you over, doesnt mean a reputable one like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend would, I order from MF all the time, everything is on time and customer service is a dream.

I will eventually consider this
Quote by cRobson
My friend was over the other day with his Jackson KE3 with EMG 85 81 in it and it sounded delightful. I have a 30w Fender amp; he only reason I use my Line 6 is because it has much less feed back and buzz. Anyways, as i said before I'm getting a new guitar and not the pickups. Even if I do end up getting the pickups, it won't bug me that I'm using a Line 6, and if I must i will just use my fender amp. Either way it will sound better than the pickups that are already in my les paul...

I will eventually consider this

They sound bad because of your amp.

You should always upgrade your amp before your pickups, and EMGs wont magically fix everything, theyre very sterile/neutral sounding.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
They sound bad because of your amp.

You should always upgrade your amp before your pickups, and EMGs wont magically fix everything, theyre very sterile/neutral sounding.

I never said the Line 6 sounded bad, or did I say it sounded bad with EMGs, I said it sounded "Delightful", amazing if you will. : P.

Again, I AM NOT GETTING EMGs, i am getting a new guitar, hence the topic title. If I do get EMGs and I don't like the sound, I will consider buying a new amp.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Last edited by Victor Escobar at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Victor Escobar

Yeah thanks man! I was just looking at the ESP ltd ec-1000 and i immediately fell in love : P Going to phone all my local music stores and see if they have it!
Quote by cRobson
Yeah thanks man! I was just looking at the ESP ltd ec-1000 and i immediately fell in love : P Going to phone all my local music stores and see if they have it!

No problem man! Im thinking about that one as my next guitar too!
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by Victor Escobar
No problem man! Im thinking about that one as my next guitar too!

Yeahh, I am currently looking at demos of this guitar on youtube. I found this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgqjaeiTiA sounds like a dream come true. And hes even on a Line 6 Spider II amp lmfao.

Sounds amazing, now I gotta go check out the guitar specs >