Page 1 of 2
Hi there.

I have recently got a UX1 and ofcourse I wanna record some stuff with it. Some dude from here said something about a DAW? What is that? Can't I just record with the POD Farm software that comes with the UX1?

Hope some of you can help me
It prints money, biiaatch!
Quote by CatharsisStudio
go ahead and download reaper

www.reaper.fm

beefmo posted something really cool on recording guitar tracks in reapers for begineers go check his thread posts or whatever and find it. i'll try to link it in here

Did he post it here on UG?
IF you got the UX1, it should've come with other programs. For starters, install the POD farm, then follow the instructions given by the disc.

A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation. With it, you should've gotten Riff works and Live lite. They come with activation codes, and are VERY awesome programs. You might wanna bone up on how to record/mix with DAWs, then check back if you have any issues.

Hope I could help, as I just got mine, too.
Hate to double post, but I forgot to add, You NEED a 1/4 inch pair of headphones, or at least an adapter to go to a normal pair- for the UX1, to even hear what you're playing.
Quote by Gh057
Hate to double post, but I forgot to add, You NEED a 1/4 inch pair of headphones, or at least an adapter to go to a normal pair- for the UX1, to even hear what you're playing.

Nah, you just need a pair of speakers wired up to the interface to hear what you're playing because it acts as your ins and outs.

I do have a tut on quick and sloppy guitars in Reaper, it's a bit different from what I'd normally do though and the results were far from my best (in my eyes anyway, I might do a simpler one soon).

You need some software to record into though (a DAW), Reaper is good and not too difficult to figure out, if you download and install it, we'll all help you out if you have any problems.
Quote by Beefmo
Nah, you just need a pair of speakers wired up to the interface to hear what you're playing because it acts as your ins and outs.

I do have a tut on quick and sloppy guitars in Reaper, it's a bit different from what I'd normally do though and the results were far from my best (in my eyes anyway, I might do a simpler one soon).

You need some software to record into though (a DAW), Reaper is good and not too difficult to figure out, if you download and install it, we'll all help you out if you have any problems.

Thank you, that's nice to hear

I have now downloaded and installed Reaper. But I still don't quite understand how I get the things I'm playing in POD Farm over to Reaper?
Last edited by EchoEchoEcho at Dec 25, 2009,
Theres two ways you can do it.

Basically you can use the standalone Pod Farm plugin with Reaper, this will record the output of Pod Farm into Reaper. It's easy you just start Pod Farm standalone, open reaper and arm a track and press record.

The other option is to run Pod Farm as a plugin inside Reaper, this is the more professional option because it allows you to customise the guitar tone after you've recorded, but is slightly more tricky to set up (well worth learning though).
And how do I enable the standalone POD Farm plugin with Reaper?
So you have to hear the sound through the output on the device?

Will you hear the processed sound from the DAW or just a clean signal?
You can't hear it with the regular speaker output even with ASIO?
Quote by Clay-man
So you have to hear the sound through the output on the device?

Will you hear the processed sound from the DAW or just a clean signal?
You can't hear it with the regular speaker output even with ASIO?

Yeah, if you put monitoring on in the sequencer whilst running the vst then you will hear the processed signal. The idea is that the Pod Studio is meant to act as your soundcard, using something else as your outs and the Pod as your ins is a bit of a routing nightmare.

Quote by EchoEchoEcho
And how do I enable the standalone POD Farm plugin with Reaper?

Turn on the standalone plugin, turn on reaper, create a track in Reaper, arm the track in reaper so that it is record ready and then press record, last I checked that was how it worked. Make sure your Pod Studios ASIO drivers are selected in Options > Preferences > Audio Device.
Quote by Beefmo
Yeah, if you put monitoring on in the sequencer whilst running the vst then you will hear the processed signal. The idea is that the Pod Studio is meant to act as your soundcard, using something else as your outs and the Pod as your ins is a bit of a routing nightmare.

Turn on the standalone plugin, turn on reaper, create a track in Reaper, arm the track in reaper so that it is record ready and then press record, last I checked that was how it worked. Make sure your Pod Studios ASIO drivers are selected in Options > Preferences > Audio Device.

Ok, I am such a big noob at electronics. How do I turn on the standalone plugin?
And when I am in Reaper and press the red Record button, it says "Can't record - No track selected".. And I have tried to click on a track... I am sorry that I have so little knowledge about modern technology
Quote by Beefmo
Start menu > Programs > Line 6 > Pod Farm, should be where the standalone plugin is (approximately), just start that up.

Reaper says that because theres no track armed, on the track there should be a button with "ar" written on it you need to click that, for a quick visual guide see the pictures on this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1231984

Oh that thread will be tons of help, thanks!

But I just looked after the POD Farm standalone plugin. In programs > Line 6 there is only:
POD Farm
Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices
Line 6 Monkey
Line 6 uninstaller

But no Standalone plugin
Quote by EchoEchoEcho

But I just looked after the POD Farm standalone plugin. In programs > Line 6 there is only:
POD Farm
Line 6 Monkey
Line 6 uninstaller

But no Standalone plugin

Easiest thing to do:

Install Reaper

Download Line 6 GearBox off there website (GearBox enables you to select amp cabinets, Podfarm doesn't or has hidden the future so well that I haven't been able to find it :P)

re-install your Line 6 UX1 driver (You may skip this step if Reaper doesn't bitch about not finding an ASIO driver when you boot it up. It always does it to me however so reinstalling the driver fixes it).

Now, open Reaper, and open GearBox. Open the top tab for ''Options'', then at the bottom click ''Preferences'' , then under the tab ''Audio'' you click on ''Device''. Make sure that Audio System is set to ASIO, and ASIO system is set to ASIO UX1 or something along those lines (for me it says ASIO GX as I have the POD GX. It should be UX for you I think).

If those settings are correct, close preferences. Now on the left hand side you should be able to see a small panel with a volume button, and a few other buttons in it (io, env and fx to name a few). At the very left of that panel you click ''AR'' which stands for arm. After you've done that make sure you set the tone in GearBox to what you want your guitar to sound like.

Now all you do is click on Record (its on the middle of the screen, left side. Obviously where the Play and Stop button are aswell, amongst others).

You're set to go

EDIT: If for some magical reason you dont want to use GearBox or didnt get a license for it, you can use Podfarm instead ofcourse.

EDIT #2: MAKE SURE that you're UX1 is connected when you boot up Reaper :P It won't work with a default onboard soundcard or whatever. Your UX1 functions as a soundcard so everytime you open Reaper without it (unless you already have an ASIO equipped soundcard in your computer without connecting the UX1) you will get an error saying it cant find the ASIO drivers.

If you're UX1 is connected and correctly installed, you may have to re-install the drivers if you get the error of ''could not find ASIO drivers''. I've gotten it a few times and this fixed it for me.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Dec 25, 2009,
I'm not sure on the specifics, but I think it's a term used for a sound driver that can handle advanced audio handling (recording, editing etc.) and hardware like guitars to use for it.

I just know that's the setting you gotta put to make it work :P
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Ok But thanks for all your answers, will try again tommorow. I thought I could just plug my guitar in and start recording. Turns out things aren't quite as easy :P

Again, thanks
Quote by EchoEchoEcho

POD Farm
Line 6 Monkey
Line 6 uninstaller

But no Standalone plugin

The POD Farm choice there would be the standalone option, because it runs by itself.
Ok, I just tried. In I think I actually recorded something. But I have a HUGE problemo now!
This is what I did:

1) Open POD Farm to make sure that it regisers me playing.
2) Open Reaper
3) Options > Preferences > Audio deivice: ASIO UX1
4) Arm for recording
5) Record!

But suddenly Reaper just CRASHED and restarted my computer? I remeber I read something about this... What can I do?
I dont know what to say, computers (and software) are weird like that sometimes. Reboot and try again.

It's kind of like what Roy always says in the sitcom ''The IT Crowd'' when he picks up the phone:

''Hello, IT: Have you tried turning it off and on again?''
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
But take a look at this review: http://trollcavemusic.blogspot.com/2009/01/gear-review-line-6-pod-studio-ux1.html

He says:

Playing As A Plug-in
Pod Farm as a plug-in needs a little work at this point. As of this writing, POD Farm 1.02 is the current version, and it has a problem in about half of the major DAWs on the market. Apparently, if your DAW has a 64-bit plug-in host (and no 32-bit host as a fall-back), then POD Farm will crash. Yes, REAPER is one of those affected. The workaround to this is to use a VST Wrapper to act as a middle-man between REAPER and POD Farm. I've been using ACON's EffectChainer, and it works OK, but you are left with the inability to use any Automation ("knob twiddling") on anything inside POD Farm, since the DAW can only see the EffectChainer, not POD Farm itself. Line 6 has posted in their forums that this issue has been logged and is on the "to do" list. Hopefully this problem is resolved soon, since "knob twiddling" is often needed.
Quote by Beefmo
Are you using a 64bit OS?

What is that?
A 64 bit operating system, like Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit. You can't have the problem described AFAIK unless you do.
Quote by Beefmo
A 64 bit operating system, like Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit. You can't have the problem described AFAIK unless you do.

Where can I see my OS?
Just tried again, and this time it didn't crash

I just wonder how I can save it as an MP3 file or something like that? Do I need another program to convert the REAPER files?
to add the plugins, move/copy the .dlls from the line6 folders into your DAW.

im not too sure about reaper files, i use fruityloops 9 with a pod x3, gearbox, podfarm, fruityloops para eq, and ez drummer. you can just save as wav or mp3 with FL.

sorry i cant help you on that.

also make sure you registered your interface on monkey/line6 and downloaded current firmware and flash memory.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Is there any chance that I can use iTunes to convert my REAPER files?
No need afaik. In Reaper, click "File", click "Render" and change the "Output Format" to MP3.
But when I've done that, how do I then save my project so that I can listen to it in for example Media Player? Not just saving it
And what does afaik mean?
Afaik = as far as i know. Once you've changed the output then click "Render" or change the options so that they suit you even more and then click "Render".
Yeah, you'll need the lame encoder to render mp3's.

Here's a wee guide.

Download this file:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?lame_enc

Unzip it and place the dll file inside C:/Program Files/Reaper.

In Reaper, in the session you want to render, go to File > Render, select 'output format' as Mp3, and then click render after choosing where to save the file and what to call it, it will render the file as an mp3 in the location with the name you chose.
When I do that it tells me this:

Because of patent and licesing issues, REAPER cannot encode MP3 audio natively.

lame_enc.dll is a freely available encoder written by The LAME Project. The LAME MP3 encoder is considered one of the best encoders available.

Place lame_enc.dll in the same directory as REAPER.exe and restart REAPER in order to enable recording and rendering directly to MP3

Link: Download lame_enc.dll

Does that mean I have to download even more?
Quote by EchoEchoEcho
When I do that it tells me this:

Because of patent and licesing issues, REAPER cannot encode MP3 audio natively.

lame_enc.dll is a freely available encoder written by The LAME Project. The LAME MP3 encoder is considered one of the best encoders available.

Place lame_enc.dll in the same directory as REAPER.exe and restart REAPER in order to enable recording and rendering directly to MP3

Link: Download lame_enc.dll

Does that mean I have to download even more?

No it means you never put the file in the directory, or forgot to unzip the zip file and take the DLL out.
Quote by Beefmo
Yeah, you'll need the lame encoder to render mp3's.

Here's a wee guide.

Download this file:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?lame_enc

Unzip it and place the dll file inside C:/Program Files/Reaper.

In Reaper, in the session you want to render, go to File > Render, select 'output format' as Mp3, and then click render after choosing where to save the file and what to call it, it will render the file as an mp3 in the location with the name you chose.

Okay then. I always fail at unzipping things though... Do I just have to rightclick and then choose unzip all?

And ehm.. How do I find C:/Program Files/Reaper ?

Again, I appologize for my exceptional noobness. And I really appreciate all you guys' help
Quote by EchoEchoEcho
Okay then. I always fail at unzipping things though... Do I just have to rightclick and then choose unzip all?

And ehm.. How do I find C:/Program Files/Reaper ?

Again, I appologize for my exceptional noobness. And I really appreciate all you guys' help

Ok, forget about unzipping the rar folder, just right click on it and cut it just now, after you've done that, go to My Computer > then to C Local Disk, or whatever its called, then to Program files, if it gives you a screen saying you could damage something beyond this point, don't worry about it, just get it to show you the contents of the folder, then go to the Reaper folder and paste the zip file. Now that you've reached that point, right click and choose unzip all.
Ok, so I should do this:

1) Download lame_enc.dll
2) Right click on it and select copy
3) Go to Start menu > Computer > SYSTEM (C: ) > Programs > REAPER > ??? (when I click on REAPER there is sub things like ColorThemes, Data, Effects, and so forth. Should I place it in the section called Plugins? Or just seperate?
4) When it's IN REAPER, THEN unzip?
No, don't place it in any of the subfolders, just the main reaper folder, the one you're in, then unzip.
Page 1 of 2