Hey folks.

Just got my hands on a JVM205 head, sounds FANTASTIC.

Only a slight problem, even when the head isn't connected to the cabinet, it puts out a really loud buzzing noise. I'm not sure if this is normal, since this is my first foray into the world of tube amplifiers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm PRETTY sure its not a ground loop issue, since this occurs when nothing is connected to the head, and when the head is connected to nothing, but I could be wrong.
you should never turn on a head without a cabinet connected.

Congrats, you probaly blew your output transformer
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
ive heard you should never turn a head on without a cab connected, could be wrong i dont have a tube amp
I'm not sure the transformer's blown, especially considering that sound is still coming out of the amp (beautiful, beautiful sound I might add).

My mistake on some details, the head WAS connected to the cab, but on the clean channel.
I double checked that I was using the outputs with the correct impedance as well.

This buzz is ONLY coming from the head. I have a minor 60 cycle hum problem with the distortion channels but that's not really a concern at this point.
I JUST picked this thing up yesterday, still in the box in which it was shipped, so I kinda doubt it would be bad tubes.

Should I record the sound for you guys to hear? Could it be something wrong with the outlet i'm using?
mine kinda does it with the les paul might be normal or a preamp tube
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster