Hey guys, got a UX1 for xmas this year, ive installed everything and plugged everything in, including my guitar.
I can play music from my laptop fine, but when i plug my ux1 into a usb slot, the sound dissapears.
RiffWorks ( the program im running it through ) is picking my guitar up, as I can see the level lights move when I hit a note.
both my laptop and my ux1 are brand new.

Any ideas on what I can do to tackle this ?

Thanks
James
Westone Thunder 1a
Fender SuperSonic
Orange 4x12 40th anniversary
EHX Big Muff/Memory Man Stereo
Check if your UX is activated as the soundcard being used for playback. If so, you have to connect your speakers to the UX or change your playback settings so that the sound comes from your internal soundcard. after this, close the programs you are running that are using sounds and restart them...

should help!
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
You need to use the "PHONES" slot on the front of the interface.
DO IT LIVE
Quote by Reeen
Check if your UX is activated as the soundcard being used for playback. If so, you have to connect your speakers to the UX or change your playback settings so that the sound comes from your internal soundcard. after this, close the programs you are running that are using sounds and restart them...

should help!

thanks for such quick feedback! how do I get the ux to play through my laptop speakers ( soundcard ) is that possible ?
Im a bit of a noob at this laptop haha i only got it today, how do I change what comes through my soundcard ?
plus will this mean i wont be able to play music through media player aswell as playing through my laptop aswell ?

once again thanks for all your help appreciate it alot !!

edit: im using windows 7 btw
Westone Thunder 1a
Fender SuperSonic
Last edited by Jaymz92 at Dec 25, 2009,
I had this very issue. I'm using XP but I think it should be fine method wise. Do you have ASIO4All drivers installed? If not, get those installed (it's the only way I know how to resolve this) Once they are installed, go to the off-line settings, select advanced options. Only your sound drivers or the UX1 will be selected under the list (should have a blue power icon next it). Activate the one that is off so that both your options are active (click the power button next to the name).

Now in your DAW, go into the sound options and set the input to the UX1 and the output to your normal sound drivers. I'm using Reaper so I can't help you where those options are but it should be easy to find.

I hope you get what I'm saying :P
If this doesn't work (what fretter said), you can just use you UX for your guitar and use another cable to connect the UX's headphone output with the line in or mic in of your laptop soundcard... so you don't have to activate the UX in your sound settings; it just has to be connected via USB to your laptop.

Hope this works, otherwise msg me if you want to
C4C?

i understand what you're looking for, TS.

you want the UX1 to be plugged into the laptop but when you play your guitar, you want the sound out of your laptop speakers.

there is only one way to do exactly that one. you need some kind of recording software like Garageband (if you are using Macintosh), Cubase, Reaper etc..

with any one of these software comes the "Monitor" feature. Activate the "Monitor" feature (turn it on) on any of these software with your UX1 configured as the "input" and you will get sound coming from the laptop speakers.

what does "monitor" mean? In the world of recording, the world "Monitor" simply refers to the ability to listen to your track while your are recording it or playing it. In $1,000,000 recording studios, high quality speakers are plugged directly into the audio interface to act as "Monitors". However, to get "Monitors" the way YOU want them (which is getting the sound out of your laptop instead of directly out of the UX1), the only solution would be using the Softwares' "Monitor"s.

this is hard to understand. but you will get the hold of it once understand the simple concept of interaction between Audio Interface>>Computer>>Computer Software>>Monitor Hardware
Last edited by sharp__edge at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by sharp__edge
i understand what you're looking for, TS.

you want the UX1 to be plugged into the laptop but when you play your guitar, you want the sound out of your laptop speakers.

there is only one way to do exactly that one. you need some kind of recording software like Garageband (if you are using Macintosh), Cubase, Reaper etc..

with any one of these software comes the "Monitor" feature. Activate the "Monitor" feature (turn it on) on any of these software with your UX1 configured as the "input" and you will get sound coming from the laptop speakers.

what does "monitor" mean? In the world of recording, the world "Monitor" simply refers to the ability to listen to your track while your are recording it or playing it. In $1,000,000 recording studios, high quality speakers are plugged directly into the audio interface to act as "Monitors". However, to get "Monitors" the way YOU want them (which is getting the sound out of your laptop instead of directly out of the UX1), the only solution would be using the Softwares' "Monitor"s.

this is hard to understand. but you will get the hold of it once understand the simple concept of interaction between Audio Interface>>Computer>>Computer Software>>Monitor Hardware

That's not the only way:

As I said, you can just connect the output (e.g. headphones out) with the mic or line in of your laptop and activate the internal soundcard of your laptop. So, if nothing's connected to the output of the laptop soundcard, the internal laptop speakers will play the sounds. But this sounds awful.

so it's:

Guitar -> UX -> via USB to laptop -> software -> via USB to UX -> headphones out -> through cable to mic/line in of laptop soundcard -> speakers...
C4C?

Last edited by Reeen at Dec 25, 2009,
Thanks alot guys All sorted !!
Westone Thunder 1a
Fender SuperSonic