I am getting a new humbucker and I was wondering if you could install them without having to solder *my soldering gun died*. I was thinking I could do it with wrapping the wires and then covering them with electricians tape, could I do that?
technically it's possible, but it's most likely not going to hold in the long run. and anyway, it's really hard to make the connections stay connected well using only electrical tape. sorry man, soldering is really your best way. could you borrow one from a friend?
I'd hold out and buy a new soldering iron. If you really want to you could crimp them I guess as a temporary fix.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Well I dont have the money for a new soldering iron. And I do not have anything to crimp the wires with. I only have 2 resources, a pair of wire cutters and electricians tape.
Quote by Darkdevil725
I should have just not posted this thread. No usefull information.

Wow, you really know how to show appreciation, don't you?

People have given you their time on Christmas day, for Heaven's sake :\
ok if you want our help here it is, yes it can be done, it is likely to work yes, is it likely to stay working for a long period NO so yes you can do it but odds are it will fail or you will have to tamper with it often to make it work

-- Have A Cheerful Christmas
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
ok if you want our help here it is, yes it can be done, it is likely to work yes, is it likely to stay working for a long period NO so yes you can do it but odds are it will fail or you will have to tamper with it often to make it work

-- Have A Cheerful Christmas

Yes thank you, this is more of what I what looking for.
Quote by Darkdevil725

The info in this thread is very usefull. If you do it your way you will have to re-do it when your pickup starts cutting out. Which it will sooner or later. Soldering irons don't cost much so just buy a new one and do it right the first time. You'll be better off in the long run.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Three people had already said almost exactly that.

yeah i know i just thought i would put it in "his" terms

--have a cheerful Chirstmas
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Well I would love to buy a new soldering iron. But I have no job, been hunting for jobs nearly every day for a while now. No one is hiring. Not even Walmart and Taco Bell which have all ways been hiring year round. But I will just deal with it the ghetto way and maybe in a month or so if a job opens I will do it properly.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well I would love to buy a new soldering iron. But I have no job, been hunting for jobs nearly every day for a while now. No one is hiring. Not even Walmart and Taco Bell which have all ways been hiring year round. But I will just deal with it the ghetto way and maybe in a month or so if a job opens I will do it properly.
Everything about this thread makes me giggle. You haz no munniez to get something inexpensive like a soldering iron, but you can afford a new HB.

You wanna take a functioning guitar and put time and effort into it to change the HB but cheap out on a low cost item that will allow you to do it properly.

Yes indeed, you can just wrap the wires and tape them. And in all likelihood there will be problems even before you get all the screws back in your pickguard or cavity cover.

Take your time and get what you need to do it properly, or be forced deal with a nuisance that you will have created until finally get the right stuff. Good luck, whichever path you take.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Darkdevil725

sell crack to little kids on the streets
you'll make enough to buy 3 soldering irons
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Quote by Darkdevil725

Everyone answered your questions. Yes you can do it without solder. It just won't work too well. Useful information in my opinion.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Everything about this thread makes me giggle. You haz no munniez to get something inexpensive like a soldering iron, but you can afford a new HB.

You wanna take a functioning guitar and put time and effort into it to change the HB but cheap out on a low cost item that will allow you to do it properly.

Yes indeed, you can just wrap the wires and tape them. And in all likelihood there will be problems even before you get all the screws back in your pickguard or cavity cover.

Take your time and get what you need to do it properly, or be forced deal with a nuisance that you will have created until finally get the right stuff. Good luck, whichever path you take.

The HB is a christmas gift.
If you cant install it properly just hold off until you can find, borrow, buy a soldering iron. You go and cut those wires and it works like crap you wont be able to put the old one back in either.
You're just looking for someone else to tell you what you want to do is alright. Sure it'll work but it's a hassle to go back and fix it again. I'm sure you can easily score a soldering iron off a friend or christmas money. I hope for the HB's sake it's nothing more than a GFS, with the hell you're going to put it through.

Merry Christmas!
Quote by Darkdevil725
Yes thank you, this is more of what I what looking for.

So you 'knew' the answer before you asked the question? That's just poor use of the scientific method right there
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Yeah, he was just looking for people to support the idea that he can do it with electrical tape. Its called making a choice and justifying it. In any ethics or philosophy class you learn that that's the stupid way to do stuff. I believe Socrates had a whole thing on it.

Do the guitar with electrical tape and wirecutters. Everything will be ok. Make sure to put duct tape over the pickups and you will keep dust out of it and it will sound better. Also be sure to use pure copper wire directly from your amp to the jack on the guitar and you will get a super strong direct connection. Better than having so many coatings of stuff on wires and all that.
Quote by Darkdevil725

Wow. Please don't post on here again until you are older or grow a pair.

I hope you are only 15 or 16 and an only child.

Everyone here is posting helpfull information. Don't waste our time.

Merry X-mas.
You what you could do?

Mow some grass, rake some leaves, shovel snow and charge just a few bucks. A few driveways and you'll have your money to do it right.
Well I do appologize for my assholish comment earlier. And I do thank yall for some of the advice.

@Jag. Yes its a GFS Power Rail, friend refused to not buy me anything so I went for
something cheap that would be useful.

@a7xplayer. I wish I could but none of my friends own one.

@ Chaos Nil. Thanks for the advice, I will do that and I will just be sure to leave plenty of wire for when I do manage to get a soldering iron.

@ R45VT. Again I apologize to everyone, the whole jobless thing along with some other personal matters have left me in kind of a bah humbug type of mood.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Make sure to put duct tape over the pickups and you will keep dust out of it and it will sound better.

/thread
do you know how much duct tape can save your tone?
shit i got a 2nd hand guitar, sounded like ass. so i got my compresser, and sprayed all that nasty dust out of my pickups, sounded better...
so then i went out and got some ducttape, to seal the deal. remmember, any tape will work, but aluminm tape works a shitload better, its like having 2 magnets on your pickups, SOUNDS SO DAMN AWESOME NOW.

but other than that it should work by just tapeing the wires together, just dont bich to us when they come undone later.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
/thread

but other than that it should work by just tapeing the wires together, just dont bich to us when they come undone later.

lol I wont, I like working on my guitar a lot anyways.
Quote by Darkdevil725
friend refused to not buy me anything so I went for
something cheap that would be useful.
Hmmm. Sounds like you're describing a nice new soldering iron to me.

PROTIP: Soldering iron w/ nothing new to solder causes less grief than something needing to be soldered w/ no soldering iron.

Quote by Darkdevil725
lol I wont, I like working on my guitar a lot anyways.
Good. Then it's settled.
If you like working on your guitar a lot, you'll LOVE taping wires to hold them in place.
Do it like you planned and it will keep you busy on a regular basis.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by metal-matt
/thread
so then i went out and got some ducttape, to seal the deal. remmember, any tape will work, but aluminm tape works a shitload better, its like having 2 magnets on your pickups, SOUNDS SO DAMN AWESOME NOW.

Woah! I'll have to try that now! I never though of using that kind. I upgraded recently to some nice gaffers tape. That stuff is like the god of tape in a roll. I was also thinking of taking the screws out of the backplate and just gluing it so that way I dont have to worry about the idea of there being SCREWS in a guitar. A guitar should be made out of wood, not screws