So today for Christmas I got an SX fretless 4 string bass (don't expect a NBD until January) and besides the fact that the strings suck (was going to replace them ASAP anyway), the bridge also sucks. Like...ZERO sustain.

I really like the stock bridge on my MIM P-Bass, but what do you guys think?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
if you want to, go for it. i think on P basses its a badass II bridge? or a gotoh.. i forget.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
oh no...I didn't mean I was going to take the bridge from my P-Bass and put it on the SX. I wanted something like it for my SX.

like this. what do you think?

http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-P-J-Bass-Bridge-p/bb-0310-010.htm

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Yeah get a BadAss II. I've heard tales of people putting the 5 string model onto a 4 string bass for even more sustain :O
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I first thought of the Badass II bridge, but I don't really want to spend that much on it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Gotoh 201 is the way to go.

BadAss II's are nice, but you still have to get them filed. And they're hugely expensive.
Gotoh have that nice large mass sustain and tone and are prefiled.

Warmoth has them for $32, I believe.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
You may have to drill a few new holes if you replace your bridge, but what the hell? The new bridge should cover the old ones. It sounds like the Gotoh is the way to go if you don't want to shell out the money for a Quan Badass II or III. While you are at it, take a look at the bridges by Hipshot and Schaller. They'll cost more than the Gotoh, but you may find them more to your liking. At any rate, the Gotoh should serve you very well.
Hm...the Gotoh looks nice, but does that one in the link I posted earlier have comparable quality? I still need to buy a new set of strings for my bass and guitar and I'm planning on getting one or two new pedals and a power source so I want to try and keep the bridge as cost-effective as possible.

I guess what I'm saying is I want a bridge that will give me decent sustain that will still be really cheap.

And I also realized that I'll need to drill a new set of holes for the bridge (whichever one I get) and I'll probalby drill the holes behind the old set of holes to cover them up. But will that cause structural damage?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
Hm...the Gotoh looks nice, but does that one in the link I posted earlier have comparable quality? I still need to buy a new set of strings for my bass and guitar and I'm planning on getting one or two new pedals and a power source so I want to try and keep the bridge as cost-effective as possible.

I guess what I'm saying is I want a bridge that will give me decent sustain that will still be really cheap.

And I also realized that I'll need to drill a new set of holes for the bridge (whichever one I get) and I'll probalby drill the holes behind the old set of holes to cover them up. But will that cause structural damage?

The one in your link is a typical Fender-ish bass bridge. Many people replace these because they don't have a lot of mass. Fender must think so, as they have developed the Vintage High Mass bridge that looks a lot like the Gotoh and is now standard on their American basses. The bridge in your link is probably as good as the old-style Fender, but the higher-mass Gotoh is better.

As for structural problems brought on by drilling new holes, there shouldn't be any unless the new holes are very close to the old ones. If they are, you might want to cut some dowel and plug the old holes. You can always drill them out later if you have a need to do so.
you can the gotoh on stewmac for 20.

it is suggested.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^aha! desicion made.

once again, humanity never fails.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Wait...new option found. Badass II for $7 with shipping included. Is this sketchy or should I go for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-2-II-NIB-Precision-Jazz-bass-bridge_W0QQitemZ190361139559QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2c52687967

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Feedbacks good why not, but youll have to file in the slots.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul