I bought a B.C. Rich mockingbird ST a couple of months ago and I gotta save I love the guitar for its large versatibility, but whenever I play with people I feel the pickups are too.... well weak... They dont capture and send out much volume like others guitars I've used.. I'm not sure if its the pickup quality or just because they're passive..

I'm not really much of a heavy metal person, so EMG's have never been my thing per se, I play mostly rock (in most its shapes and forms) blues, and funk, add some jazz here and there for the ocasional gig, and I'm looking for something that can give me a stronger sound without going all the way over the top heavy.. I'm also looking for something preferably passive so I dont have to cut a section out or something like that for a battery compartment..

Any advice?
Are you sure your pickups aren't too far away from the strings? I've heard Rockfield Mafia pickups before, and quiet isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe them.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Raise the pickups and check back here. All you need is a screwdriver.
Also, what amp do you have?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Are any of the extra controls active? If so, check the battery, if not, raise your pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Which amp do you use?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
THe pickups are pretty high, if I move them much higher I get wierd magnetic resonance. I play on a fender frontman at home but at school I go through Marshalls and Mesa Boogies most the time, not very often the same one.

It seems that whenever someone plays before me he has a set volume, and when I go up the volume I get is extremely soft from the same settings, which makes me have to change the amp volume by alot and cranking up the amp is not always the best thing to do when looking after certain tones...
^^ I was going to say it might be a problem with the amps because it only happens when your gigging, but you just threw me off. Maybe these other players are using pedals to boost their signals?
check that you're in phase, not coil tapped, your volume is all the way up, etc.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
First time I ever heard Mafia pups sounded weak. All the ones I have ever heard were awesome. I own a bunch of guitars and when I play them the setting on my amp has to change for each guitar depending on the guitar. You can't go by someone else's settings unless your play the same rig and even then there could be subtle differences in tone.

I'm not a big fan of all those coil taps switches I like my guitars fairly simple. I would experiment with those and see if you get a better sound. I am not too sure about that vibratone filter either. I love the guitar but truthfully too many switches for me. I'll bet your problem is in the set up of the switches and that vibratone option.

http://www.bcrich.com/Mockingbird_st.html

Scroll down and click on the control diagram I don't know what you have your set at but i would try and set it as a regular 2 humbucker guitar and leave it at that until you get used to all those options

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 26, 2009,