Today i was restringing and setting up my eclipse. For some reason when i finally got to intonation my d string was horridly out. I had to crank the saddle as far as it could go towards the neck to get in check. Its fine now but It looks weird with the other 5. Any idea what would make the drastic change?
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Why does it matter?

It really doesn't!

It just looks silly and was wondering if anyone knew if there might be something wrong or anything.
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Probably nothing wrong, but I'd check the nut anyway. What type of bridge does your guitar have?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Probably nothing wrong, but I'd check the nut anyway. What type of bridge does your guitar have?

Ya, the nut is fine. Its a TonePros locking TOM. I cant find a problem, so maybe im just picky!
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Quote by David Collins
There's not really much that can cause one individual string to intonate notably flatter than the others (thus requiring a very forward position), other than a bad string.

You're not using DR's by chance, are you?

I am using DR. Talk about nailing it on the head
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
It looks like that because you called your EC an Eclipse, the Eclipse belongs to ESP :P Sorry nitpicking here and no idea myself.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
It looks like that because you called your EC an Eclipse, the Eclipse belongs to ESP :P Sorry nitpicking here and no idea myself.

Its the LTD version so why wouldn't it still be an eclipse? There is an LTD viper. There are LTD horizons. LTD fx/ex. LTD MH etc. None of those are what they are because they aren't actual ESP? What else do you think EC stands for?!
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Quote by corndog97
Its the LTD version so why wouldn't it still be an eclipse? There is an LTD viper. There are LTD horizons. LTD fx/ex. LTD MH etc. None of those are what they are because they aren't actual ESP? What else do you think EC stands for?!

If the LTD EC was an Eclipse don't you reckon they would call it you know an Eclipse? And LTD M = ESP Mirage, LTD MH/H = ESP Horizon. LTD F = ESP Forest. Like said I'm just nitpicking it's like you're calling your LTD an ESP, 'cos if you did all hell would break loose or something like that.

edit: LTD PB = ESP Potbelly. They should bring the Throbber in as a standard series guitar I'd so buy it.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Dec 25, 2009,
Which string brands would you recommend that is consistently wrapped the least hassle when intonating?
Quote by David Collins
Yeah, this happens quite often with DR's, and it's rather inconsistent from one string pack to another. It's simply because their quality control seems rather inconsistent. I don't stock DR stings in my shop, and when I have a customer who wants to use them I typically request that they bring 2 or 3 sets for me to pick through to have a better chance of assembling one good set for the setup. That's still not a guarantee though, as it seems entire runs will have consistent problems with a particular string. For a while it seemed the A string was always the problem, ending up having to be adjusted further forward than the D string.

Here is an example of what I often find -
*picture*

This particular shot is of a bass string, but the same problems are found through the entire range of their wound strings. Notice the gaps between certain windings - the problem is cyclical, and repeats regularly through the length of the strings. You need a scope to see it in this detail, but even without, you can often see an odd shimmer or reflection pattern along a bad string in the right light. It's indicative of a consistent flaw in the guide on at least one of their winding machines that seems to be ongoing.

It's a shame, because I really want to be able to endorse their strings. The different core shapes and winding/core ratios certainly offer a feel and tone for some players that is not easily found on other brands. Unfortunately, the inconsistent quality has forced me to always add a disclaimer when customers want to use DR's, and generally recommend seeking another brand if possible.

If you change to strings to another set of DR's, the chance is as likely as it is not that you will have to re-intonate that string to a very different position, and possibly change some of the other adjustments as well.

I cant thank you enough!

Its a shame because i really like them. They feel the best to me. I also like D'addario alot so no worries in having to find a new brand.

Thanks
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
I use DRs and this happens a lot with me. Can't say I'll change it though. As long as they intonate properly, no matter how far I have to set one saddle from the other one, I'll stick with them. They last longer than any other brand and I frankly think they sound better.
Quote by David Collins
I can certainly understand that, because as I said, they certainly have some particular properties that make their performance unique. I just really wish they could get these consistency issues under control.

It's particularly frustrating because it seems as though the source of these problems could be easily enough diagnosed and corrected. In the case pictured above, the exact same error pattern repeats consistently every five wraps along the string. With a little trouble shooting, it seems the root of this trouble wouldn't be so difficult to track down to a particular machine, or a weak point in the process.

If they could just manage to address these chronic issues, I'm sure a lot more players would be likely to use them (and certainly a lot fewer players would quit using them after experiencing problems).

I agree. It can't be that hard to fix. I REALLY hope they get it together.
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ