Hey pit.

Well, recently I've been thinking of what it'd be like to be a Biology teacher.

I really loved being in school (flameshield) and had an awesome Bio teacher with a good sense of humour that made learning really fun. So I have gotten thoughts every now and then about being a Bio teacher and it makes me happy.

However, I get the feeling that being a teacher must be much harder than it looks.

A lot of marking, disrespectful students, average pay, etc.

So, any other pit monkeys thinking about becoming teachers?
I would love to be a teacher myself, But as it is i can't handle the hours, up at six, home at four, and usually crash once i get home and have time for nothing during the week. If you love being there however, I'd say go for it. Marking just depends on how much work you decide to assign.
call me Shelby

Anything but English. English is a bitch to mark.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by ShelbyLynn
I would love to be a teacher myself, But as it is i can't handle the hours, up at six, home at four, and usually crash once i get home and have time for nothing during the week. If you love being there however, I'd say go for it. Marking just depends on how much work you decide to assign.

..what the f*ck? Do you have chronic fatigue or something??
I'd rather be a uni lecturer if I can get the Doctorate...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
ive thought about it several times
but i would only do it with corporal punishment reinstated
and higher pay
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
Yeah, thinking about being a Chemistry/Music-teacher.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Last edited by ..NEM.. at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by the1
..what the f*ck? Do you have chronic fatigue or something??

I must, i'm usually in bed by 11, and falling asleep before last period.
Teaching seems like it would be a decent job though, it would be nice to be in control in the classroom lol
call me Shelby

I study English an history in order to become a teacher (but in Germany, so English as a foreign language) and it's actually pretty interesting.

Later on you have truckloads of work to not. Not only teaching, but preparing, correcting, staying up to date, evaluating, taking part in conferences etc. etc. etc.

I don't know if you can only become a teacher for one subject in your country, but here in Germany we have to study and therefore later on teach at least 2 subjects.

I already taught quite a couple of times and it's really fun. But you have to be VERY (!) self confident... etc etc etc...
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
I wouldn't mind becoming a teacher. It will have to wait a while, but it is a profession I can see myself doing happily.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Reeen
I don't know if you can only become a teacher for one subject in your country, but here in Germany we have to study and therefore later on teach at least 2 subjects.

Same here in Sweden.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

An Abstract Illusion
Two weeks from graduating, so yeah. Upper secondary, my subjects are english/history.
Henrique > Kovalchuk > Parise
I'd love to be a teacher, I probably will be one when I get degrees and whatever. I'm planning on doing French and German, but I'd really like to do Philosophy as well, so maybe French and Philosophy.

I just love that feeling of teaching English (I live in France) to someone, and them understanding and feeling pleased is a good thing. I mean, in the Reinforced English class, I practically teach it, and it feels great.

Yeah, teaching. Cool stuff.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Reeen
I study English an history in order to become a teacher (but in Germany, so English as a foreign language) and it's actually pretty interesting.

Later on you have truckloads of work to not. Not only teaching, but preparing, correcting, staying up to date, evaluating, taking part in conferences etc. etc. etc.

I already taught quite a couple of times and it's really fun. But you have to be VERY (!) self confident... etc etc etc...

I'm actually living in Gemany too right now, but I didn't know you needed to teacher 2 subjects.

I could do English, nay problem!
Quote by ShelbyLynn
I must, i'm usually in bed by 11, and falling asleep before last period.
Teaching seems like it would be a decent job though, it would be nice to be in control in the classroom lol

Shelby!

And I'd like to be a music teacher, personally. I love it, so why not pass it on? It's a worthwhile goal for me.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
I was one year away from being a teacher. I gave it up - laughable money, working till late at night sometimes and all you get is a band of idiots ****ing it up anyway. ;p You'd be better of fas a garbage man or something, seriously.
Wą.
Annoying kids annoyed me when I was in school. At least you're getting paid for it I guess. I'd just be the biggest hardass and try and stamp out the trouble makers right from the beginning, but that probably wouldn't work and that's why I'm not a teacher.
Feels great that so many have good experience with teaching!

Quote by Reviewer Pete
Two weeks from graduating, so yeah. Upper secondary, my subjects are english/history.

Upper secondary is what I'm aiming at. You have to take the Masters exam, right?

An Abstract Illusion
Quote by ..NEM..

Upper secondary is what I'm aiming at. You have to take the Masters exam, right?

You don't need a Masters degree for it, no....if we're on the same page here.
my mom is a teacher, she doesnt like it, to much work not enough pay, although she does teach at a college prep school which is extremely strict on rules and work and all that jazz

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Sounds like a few people don't like the idea of teaching, especially because of the students, but...

If you are a cool teacher and students notice the joy you put into the subject, won't they respect you for it?

That's what I thought was the difference between "good teachers" and "bad teachers" when I was in High School.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Sounds like a few people don't like the idea of teaching, especially because of the students, but...

If you are a cool teacher and students notice the joy you put into the subject, won't they respect you for it?

That's what I thought was the difference between "good teachers" and "bad teachers" when I was in High School.

They might respect your effort, but that doesn't necessarily translate into respecting you, or putting in the effort needed to succeed academically.

I'm of the opinion that it is what you make of it. Being a teacher is much like being a frontman of a band. You need confidence, "stage presence", social skills and you have to enjoy being the go-to guy. It's a complex job with many facets most people aren't aware of, and it isn't for everyone but I quite like it. As far as normal jobs go, it's the one I want.
actually the pay can easily become more than average, you just have to rack up some extra courses along the way so that your resume looks better.

but hey, the job isnt that intense and complicated, you get steady hours that arent ridiculous (like night shifts), and you get two months off. plus some good benefits.
I've thought about teaching English
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
I've thought about teaching history. I'm studying history right now, and the idea of teaching appeals to me in some way. Maybe I will, maybe not.
...marmalade is my jam.
Quote by Reviewer Pete
You don't need a Masters degree for it, no....if we're on the same page here.

That's what I was going to talk about with my student counsel. Must've gotten it on the wrong foot, thanks for clarifying. ;D

An Abstract Illusion
I teach English privately to Japanese.
It's amazing. Nice people, good for your confidence and one of my students got me Prada gloves!
So rewarding.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
im hoping to be a professor at a university and teach music theory/comp

but that involves getting a doctorate, writing a book/dissertation-esque thing, published compositions...

shit load of work, but will be well worth it
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
I've thought about it, but I don't know if I could do it for long. I think it'd be pretty cool to teach in another country (probably teaching English), but I don't think I could leave America for a long period of time. A year or two maybe, but then again, who knows.

A majority of my teachers have masters, if not doctorates, so that's looking almost like a requirement to teach at any nice school. That sort of deters me; I look like the academic type, but I couldn't really be bothered with graduate's school and all that. But again, if I really needed to, who knows.
Quote by ..NEM..
That's what I was going to talk about with my student counsel. Must've gotten it on the wrong foot, thanks for clarifying. ;D

Correction: for Swedish and Social Science you need one. Those are 4 semesters, as opposed to most other subjects which are 3.