Must be no more than about $500USD and easy to come across.

I'm looking for that Sunn sound, but for less cash.

I would get an Ampeg VT-22, but they're hard to come by.

Not only do I not mind buying used, I prefer it.
The Bugera 6262 sounds beastly, and since it's around 600 new, you could probably get it used for under 500.

edit: it's 120 watts tube, damn loud, and a 2x12. Great cleans, more overdrive than you could ever want.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Dec 25, 2009,
Valveking without mods or bright tubes has pretty dark cleans. Still recommend doing mods, but avoid brighter tubes like Tung-Sols in V1 preamp.

You can get a used VK for $250, which, on your budget, is enough to do pretty much all the mods comfortably.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 25, 2009,
Most VKs come with all EHX 12AX7s, occasionally JJs pop up (I had a JJ 12AX7 in my V2). Pretty sure Peavey just uses whatever they've got. I'd really recommend changing tubes, though, as EHX 12AX7s don't agree well with this amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I should probably have mentioned I plan to play it with a Big Muff for distortion. After a cursory glance at the VK thread, I see some complain the amp is muddy. Would it be clear enough for drone metal?

I am basically looking for the tone Sunn O))) (the band) gets with their Sunn amps, just with more string attack. I'm using a strat, so that takes care of the string attack part.
you some times can find a old sunn on ebay and craigslist for under 500, a week ago I lost a bid on one but it ended at $320, so you can find them
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
The mud goes away with some mods (speaker swap, new tubes, OT swap (not necessary for clean channel) Often, it's possible to find a used VK with a new speaker and tubes already... If you're not interested, though, check out the Bugera V55 (which is a Bassman clone, I believe).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Is the Bugera good stock? I'd rather go with something that's ready out of the box, if possible.

This place is great for quick, useful information.
If you're only using the clean channel of the VK, I imagine you won't really need to worry about mud (although before I did anything with mine, I had to keep the treble on 10 with the bright button engaged to really cut through).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Good. I like my amps nice and dark. The clean channel should be great with my Big Muff. I think I'll go with it, then.
Man your really pushing that valveking there aren't you? Really in order for you to get sunn tone you need an amp thats easy to overdrive, really you should take this to the "gear for post-rock" thread, they know way more about shoegaze and drone and such than anyone around these parts.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
Man your really pushing that valveking there aren't you? Really in order for you to get sunn tone you need an amp thats easy to overdrive, really you should take this to the "gear for post-rock" thread, they know way more about shoegaze and drone and such than anyone around these parts.

Actually, Sunn O))) (the band) gets all their grit from pedals. Sunn (amps) are actually pretty clean by themselves. I love the fuzz of a Big Muff, I just need an amp that has the right frequency response and that stays clean at high volumes, so as not to muddy up what the Muff is doing.
Last edited by Sunn_O))) at Dec 25, 2009,
Thats what i mean, youll need an amp thats easy to overdrive (with pedals/volume) really any amp will do, you just need the pedals to back it up. You can play doom with anything from a fender twin to mesa dual rectifier. But yes sunn o))) tone comes from clean amps played balls loud with pedals, but a lot of the distortion just comes from the sheer volume those amps crank out.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by fearofthemark
The Bugera 6262 sounds beastly, and since it's around 600 new, you could probably get it used for under 500.

edit: it's 120 watts tube, damn loud, and a 2x12. Great cleans, more overdrive than you could ever want.

second that. 6260 is a simpler version of the 6262 and would still work. any of bugera's amps would work actually
Oh, I though you meant natural overdrive from the amp alone.

Still, the amp has to be very clean at high volume. A fuzz pedal on top of pre-existing distortion usually sounds like shit. As I stated earlier, the amp must also be pretty dark. A lot of clean amps have a lot of highs and less than stellar bass response.
You're not going to get an Orange for less than $500... Not even a Tiny Terror.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Sunn_O)))
Is the Bugera good stock? I'd rather go with something that's ready out of the box, if possible.

This place is great for quick, useful information.

Yeah... i have one all stock and stuff and love it
Been doing a lot of research, and the Valve Junior Hot Rod head has caught my eye.

Unlike the normal VJ, this has a gain control. Since the original had just a volume knob, it couldn't be played loud without sounding gritty.

Anyone know if the VJ Hot Rod has enough headroom to play clean at a volume loud enough for, say, a coffee shop gig?

If it does, I can also get a nice used 2x12 cab for it and still be within budget.
O)))))))))))))))))
Just put a 4x10 bassman combo on layaway. I think it's 60 or 65 watts. It was $550, tax and cover included. I got it from a music/collectibles shop a three minute walk down the street from me. The used market around here really sucks, so I was lucky to find it.
O)))))))))))))))))
Get a Sunn. The only expensive Sunns are the Model-Ts because they are used by lots of famous bands, but most other Sunns can be had for around $500 on eBay. Look for the Spectrum, Sonic, etc...
EDIT: Too late...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.