Well, I've been wanting a Les Paul Junior for some time now, but I find that $800 is a little ridiculous for one (Gibson), so I looked at good ol' Epiphone; but I found that they only sell cheap $130 dlls ones, which I guess (and have been told) are made of plywood (they are $130 dlls after all).
So, after searching, I came across the 57 reissue, which seems just wonderful for me, but I've only found 1 in eBay, and I can't get it because I live in Mexico (plus right now I don't have money).

Even though, I found an Epiphone Les Paul Junior yesterday in a store here; but, to my surprise, it had a P-90 instead of the crappy humbucker the Epis have nowadays; so, after researching, I found that it might be an old model; so here goes my questions:

Do the old Epiphone Les Paul Juniors come with a p-90?

and

If it actually is an old model, does anyone know what kind of wood was used in these guitars?
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
bump...

oh and BTW, I read here on the UG reviews that the old ones were made of solid basswood, but I'm not sure how reliable those reviews are.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
It should be solid mahogany body and neck with rosewood fingerboard. They put P-100 pickup in there.
Quote by simpleplanftw
It should be solid mahogany body and neck with rosewood fingerboard. They put P-100 pickup in there.

Yes, that is the 57 reissue, but I'm asking about the old standard Juniors (epiphone of course)
That is the '57 junior RI. The regular ones have always had an HB.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
That is the '57 junior RI. The regular ones have always had an HB.

So, if it is not a 57 reissue (it is bolt-on, and doesn't say " '57 reissue" anywhere) but it has a P-90?
okay the old Epiphone Juniors with the bolt on neck and the P90 are pretty cool but I think they are still made of plywood. I have one of the newer ones with the humbucker and that guitar is plywood for sure, I checked. However that said, I think it's a fine guitar. I should know what a Junior sounds like, I own a all mahogany, set neck, P90s, Les Paul Special clone. Honestly dude just grab one and play man, do a few essential upgrades like Tuners, nut and pickup and you'll have a fine guitar. Especially in South America and Central America it is difficult to get gear, just get the Epiphone and rock it dude

EDIT: The 57 reissue always had a set neck, the old Epi Juniors had P 90s as well but always had bolt on necks, hope that helps.

MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by SkaJon
okay the old Epiphone Juniors with the bolt on neck and the P90 are pretty cool but I think they are still made of plywood. I have one of the newer ones with the humbucker and that guitar is plywood for sure, I checked. However that said, I think it's a fine guitar. I should know what a Junior sounds like, I own a all mahogany, set neck, P90s, Les Paul Special clone. Honestly dude just grab one and play man, do a few essential upgrades like Tuners, nut and pickup and you'll have a fine guitar. Especially in South America and Central America it is difficult to get gear, just get the Epiphone and rock it dude

EDIT: The 57 reissue always had a set neck, the old Epi Juniors had P 90s as well but always had bolt on necks, hope that helps.

well, I guess I was wrong.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
no worries oneblackened, I'm a big Les Paul Junior and Special fan. So when I was looking at the Epiphone Juniors, I found some old ones. Pretty cool stuff. As for the current Epi Juniors, they may not be traditional but they do rock pretty hard. I'll be keeping my mahogany special around but hey I have no shame in playing the Epiphone. With all guitars in the price range, they need mods and a good setup but heck it's still a fun guitar to play.
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Thanks everybody, that was some helpful information
Although I'm not a big fan of plywood (I own a BC Rich Warlock that doesn't sound exactly superb), I tried the guitar today and I really liked how it plays, it has a nice fretwork, and everything was ok, I really liked it (but I don't know about the soung tho, because I could only play it through a cheap practice amp); I'll return for it tomorrow and maybe I'll post some pics in the Christmas NGD thread
Thanks everybody
cool beans dude looking forward to seeing the new guitar. Post a link to the christmas thread here, so I don't miss it =)
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Congrats man! looks like a great guitar
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Inmalaysia congrats on your new guitar, sorry I can't help with the dating. I've been playing my Epi LP Jr Special for about a month and a half now and it's an excellent guitar for those who like simple guitars.
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R