Hey everyone!

My nephew got $400 for christmas for a new guitar. He is currently playing on an acoustic and can play smoke on the water. That being said hes a beginner, absolute beginner. Nothing wrong with that we all started somewhere eh? So heres the thing. Im taking him to GC tomorrow to help him pick out a guitar. He LOVES my LPs and wants one in that shape. So this makes me think Epi's and LTD's. His "influences" are Metallica, COB, Megadeth, Slayer, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, etc. He wants a guitar that is 'teh metalz' but under 400 this is a little difficult. He is buying an amp later when he has more $ so he isnt looking for a starter pack.
Whats a good "metal" LP shaped gitbox?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
LTD EC series ftw.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
rondomusic.com Agile AL-2000, great Les Paul style guitar. But I understand him wanting to go get one tomorrow with the anticipation and stuff. Good Luck in finding him (what I assume) is his first electric!
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go for an epiphone to be honest.. The metal part in your description just screams LTD, but I've heared alot of bad stuff about the guitars below the 400 series and with that amount of cash you won't be able to get an EC 400 or better so... Epiphone gets my vote.
Well he kinda had his mind set on the 256 but his budget just went down to like 300 =(
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by Vastros
Well he kinda had his mind set on the 256 but his budget just went down to like 300 =(

why?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
his mom is KINDA a ****.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
If he loves the shape of the EC then he probably won't be able to truly appreciate the proper LP shape for a while. The two are different machines. This guitar wouldn't really be classified as true metal but like **** it it's worth the cash http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LTD-EC400_W0QQitemZ110473049714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b8b4f672#ht_722wt_1165

edit: Shit I actually don't think those models have the tummy cut. If that's a feature your nephew loves then avoid that model too
Thats a good deal! thanks guys but apparently hes just getting a Warlock Bronze...
Let the flaming commence!!!
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
We've failed...
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
www.rondomusic.com Seriously. Just for 200 He can get a LP with mahogany body, set maple neck /w rosewood fretboard, and EMG Passive pickups. Its called the SX Deimos, or for an extra 100 he could get an Agile Dauntless and still have enough for a Peavy Vypyr 15 and maybe a cheap tuner.

edit: Apparantly I was late, just now noticed the above post.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Darkdevil725
www.rondomusic.com Seriously. Just for 200 He can get a LP with mahogany body, set maple neck /w rosewood fretboard, and EMG Passive pickups. Its called the SX Deimos, or for an extra 100 he could get an Agile Dauntless and still have enough for a Peavy Vypyr 15 and maybe a cheap tuner.

edit: Apparantly I was late, just now noticed the above post.

You tried, sir.
Quote by Vastros
Thats a good deal! thanks guys but apparently hes just getting a Warlock Bronze...

When did society go awry?
I would say buy an Agile but you really want to take him to a place like Guitar Center where he can try several different type of guitars just to see what he prefers and is most comfortable for him to play. LP shapes usually are more comfortable especially for people who are used to acoustics. Figure out what type he wants then go to the Aglie site and order a guitar from them. Agile does make an awesome guitar in any of their ranges.

John
I showed him rondo and he wasnt interested. ALL IS NOT LOST MY FRIENDS! I took him to guitar center and he fell in love with a Dean Bolt ML. This is much better than the warlock idea!!! As far as LP's... well... Down the line he will prolly get a EC-1000 as he fell in love with mine.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If he loves the shape of the EC then he probably won't be able to truly appreciate the proper LP shape for a while. The two are different machines. This guitar wouldn't really be classified as true metal but like **** it it's worth the cash http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-GUITAR-LTD-EC400_W0QQitemZ110473049714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b8b4f672#ht_722wt_1165

edit: Shit I actually don't think those models have the tummy cut. If that's a feature your nephew loves then avoid that model too

Someone gotta take that guitar now or my GAS will erupt again. Gotta resist!

anyway... Warlock Bronze = shit. Just my opinion...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The Dean ML isnt much better.

Kids and their funky shaped, low budget guitars. Sheesh.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
well ive got about 4 packages made up for him possibly. None of them are fantastic but what do you guys think?

Metal Madness! : BC Rich Warlock Bronze/vypyr 15 Total= 300
Comments: With this package you could get quality gear and possibly a pedal, a couple books, cords, and possibly a movie or 2.

Pantera power!: Dean black Bolt/ Marshall: total=400
Comments: This is a nice set up with good power and is a little more rounded out then others.

Megadeth magic!: Dean V/Spider IV: Total= 400
Comments: Best shot for a good V guitar and also a nice modeling amp

One Metal SOB: BC rich SOB/ Vypyr= 350
Comments: Honestly in my opinion best package. Best combo of Price and Quality. you still have a little money for a few accessories.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by Vastros
well ive got about 4 packages made up for him possibly. None of them are fantastic but what do you guys think?

Metal Madness! : BC Rich Warlock Bronze/vypyr 15 Total= 300
Comments: With this package you could get quality gear and possibly a pedal, a couple books, cords, and possibly a movie or 2.

Pantera power!: Dean black Bolt/ Marshall: total=400
Comments: This is a nice set up with good power and is a little more rounded out then others.

Megadeth magic!: Dean V/Spider IV: Total= 400
Comments: Best shot for a good V guitar and also a nice modeling amp

One Metal SOB: BC rich SOB/ Vypyr= 350
Comments: Honestly in my opinion best package. Best combo of Price and Quality. you still have a little money for a few accessories.

Prepare to get flamed for sugesting the Line 6 spider lol:p Got no experience with them personally but i haven't really heared anything good about them...
lol I put my flameshield up awhile ago. But he only has about 100 for an amp and for a beginner amp? where he doesnt know bad tone... at all. Its not gonna be bad.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by Vastros
lol I put my flameshield up awhile ago. But he only has about 100 for an amp and for a beginner amp? where he doesnt know bad tone... at all. Its not gonna be bad.

A roland cube would be superior though:p at least imo
Well he got it yesterday. A BC Rich Warlock Bronze and Spider IV. Its better than i expected...
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
How could you expect to be at all good?!?!

My 15 year old friend has that same set up and he thinks he's teh br00tz.

EDIT: So Vastros, just found out you were a Minnesotan! Woo! I'm from Mounds View, it's north of St. Paul. Don't plan on driving here though, there's not much to see unless you missed Northtown in Blaine... which isn't exciting, either.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by Vastros
Well he got it yesterday. A BC Rich Warlock Bronze and Spider IV. Its better than i expected...

At least we tried.
r0ckth3d34n I go to school in the moundsview district! I go to MV ALC!
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
if your in Moundsview and in high school that means Irondale Moundsview or MV ALC
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60