I'm probably going to get some replies such as "Go to the shop and try it yourself", but I'm too lazy to get up and go to a shop.

Anyway, I'm probably going to buy a LP Studio, but I want to know how the body feels compared to a Stratocaster or Acoustic, I've never owned/played a Les Paul body guitar, but they do look great I must say. I've owned a few straight forward Stratocaster body guitars and I love to feel off them, they're easily accessible convenient for fast playing and shredding (which I very rarely do). Only con is that the necks are thin and the body is also thin therefore leaving a large section of my arm open, which sometimes aches.

The LP Style body is something in between an Acoustic shape and a Strat shape, so I'm going to use an Acoustic for my second example. It's the complete opposite, fretboard access isn't that good, but boy, the necks are good, it's also in a round shape, like a LP.

I'm going to get straight to the point, does the Les Paul's body feel more like an Acoustic than a Strat or visa versa? I just want to know first so I can roughly approximate how much comfort I'll have while playing.
well i can help you out because i had a Gibson LP studio..... and i sold it for an american strat! if that means anything lol. i just happened to have a dud Gibson. you definitely need to be choosy upon picking a les paul.

theyre both good guitars and each one has their place and time, the lp is very very comfortable standing up, but so is the strat.... theyre both awesome,

people bitch about how heavy les pauls are.... but they really are'nt THAT bad. they fall into place just perfectly when playing standing up.

if you already have a strat id say switch it up and go with the LP
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 25, 2009,
Yes, they look orgasmic, tone, playability, action, everything seems good, I don't want anything too light either. I also play sitting down most of the time, but I much prefer standing up, anyway, it sounds good.
It feels like a thinner acoustic, but a lot smaller and a whole hell of a lot heavier (yes, I know, LP's aren't necessarily heavy, but acoustics are really really light), along with an arched top.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by J.Simpson
Yes, they look orgasmic, tone, playability, action, everything seems good, I don't want anything too light either. I also play sitting down most of the time, but I much prefer standing up, anyway, it sounds good.

well the strat is much more comfortable to play sitting down than the les paul IMHO, but the les paul is still pretty comfortable sitting down compared to other guitars
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
I would say it's not that big of a difference as people make it out to be. Now if you were going between a strat and a flat top les paul, that's a bit different because of no arm cutaways. However I find the Les Paul shape very comfortable standing up, only thing you'll have to get used to is having less of a cutaway on the arm. The whole belly cut thing probably won't be a problem since most players play low anyway. Don't worry about it though, the arch top on the Les Paul makes the arm thing less of a hard angle than on Telecasters and Les Paul Juniors
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by J.Simpson
I'm probably going to get some replies such as "Go to the shop and try it yourself", but I'm too lazy to get up and go to a shop.
Anyway, I'm probably going to buy a LP Studio, but I want to know how the body feels compared to a Stratocaster or Acoustic, I've never owned/played a Les Paul body guitar, but they do look great I must say. I've owned a few straight forward Stratocaster body guitars and I love to feel off them, they're easily accessible convenient for fast playing and shredding (which I very rarely do). Only con is that the necks are thin and the body is also thin therefore leaving a large section of my arm open, which sometimes aches.

The LP Style body is something in between an Acoustic shape and a Strat shape, so I'm going to use an Acoustic for my second example. It's the complete opposite, fretboard access isn't that good, but boy, the necks are good, it's also in a round shape, like a LP.

I'm going to get straight to the point, does the Les Paul's body feel more like an Acoustic than a Strat or visa versa? I just want to know first so I can roughly approximate how much comfort I'll have while playing.

Then I'm too lazy to help you...but in all honesty there's no point, "feel" is entirely subjective.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^^There you go. We cant describe the feel to you. Its different. You just need to go to a store and see if you like it. If your too lazy buy it blind then let us know.
When i played my friends Epi Les Paul custom it like killed my ribs :/
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
They're heavier, they're thicker, once you're used to them they feel amazing, provided you got a good one.
Quote by Quaned
When i played my friends Epi Les Paul custom it like killed my ribs :/

Be a real man and swallow some cement and harden the **** up. Or get an ESP Eclipse (non FT models) they have the tummy cut so that should make it easier on your ribs.
Quote by steven seagull
Then I'm too lazy to help you...but in all honesty there's no point, "feel" is entirely subjective.

Yeah, this kid pissed me off immediately. We CANT describe the entire feel of a guitar to you. Thats stupid on so many levels that I won't even begin to try to tackle them all. Go try it out, man. It is not that hard and you'll get so much more info by holding the frakking thing for 2 minutes than you will spending 2 hours online. Go to a store -- you have no excuse not to.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
You're gonna drop $1000 on a guitar and you're too lazy to go try one in a store?
My Fingertips -> Strat/Les Paul -> 1974x -> Alnico Blue + G12H30 -> Aural Sex
i always loved the look of a les paul when i started playing. they're just kind of what i picture when i think "guitar." but when i found one i really liked and sat down with it the body was such a pain (literally and figuratively) that i just couldn't stand it. i'm not really all about contoured guitars, but i've found that an LP's body really dug into my rib cage and was uncomfortable sitting. standing it was ok, but not great. loved the neck, the pickups and sound, but the body was too much for me to over come.

anyway, wall-o-text. but the moral of the story is play the crap out of whatever you're looking for in store first. if it's not exactly what you want then don't waste time or money. even if you sell it and find something better you probably won't get the full price of the guitar back. better to shop your ass off than be even a little unhappy.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Be a real man and swallow some cement and harden the **** up. Or get an ESP Eclipse (non FT models) they have the tummy cut so that should make it easier on your ribs.

I agree, the following seem to play a Les Paul without hesitation, The Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and Metro Station, I don't hear them bitching.

Yeah, like I said, I'm too lazy to go to the store, if I don't like it I'll just sell it or something.
Quote by J.Simpson
Yeah, like I said, I'm too lazy to go to the store, if I don't like it I'll just sell it or something.

I wish I had enough money to behave this stupidly with it.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Quote by The_Future_Soon
I wish I had enough money to behave this stupidly with it.

I have to say Les Pauls. My first guitar was a strat copy and I was used to it and then I got my first Les Paul Copy by National what a difference in feel and tone. After that I had to get a real Les Paul I lucked out and scored a used early 70s LP custom in cherry sunburst for $300.00 after that I knew nothing would ever compare. To this day I have never really found a strat that felt good or I thought sounded even remotely good.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I have to say Les Pauls. My first guitar was a strat copy and I was used to it and then I got my first Les Paul Copy by National what a difference in feel and tone. After that I had to get a real Les Paul I lucked out and scored a used early 70s LP custom in cherry sunburst for $300.00 after that I knew nothing would ever compare. To this day I have never really found a strat that felt good or I thought sounded even remotely good.

John

Thank you, that was the type of answer I was seeking.
And it's absolutely worthless to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
And it's absolutely worthless to you.

The thread is over now, no need for the additional flaming.
Nah, I'd like to see the flaming continue well into a third page.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by J.Simpson
The thread is over now, no need for the additional flaming.

Flaming or not he does have a point. That was John's experience and it may or may not be yours, shouldn't it be better if you just played safe and you know like visit a guitar store and try them out. I'd hate to see a whole generation be raised up to be like you waiting for other people to post their experiences and then you making your own opinions off that. Seriously if you're just going to throw your cash around could you buy me like another guitar.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Flaming or not he does have a point. That was John's experience and it may or may not be yours, shouldn't it be better if you just played safe and you know like visit a guitar store and try them out. I'd hate to see a whole generation be raised up to be like you waiting for other people to post their experiences and then you making your own opinions off that. Seriously if you're just going to throw your cash around could you buy me like another guitar.

My brother loves Strats and other more contoured bodies and can't stand my LP. He can't play as well on an LP, it's just uncomfortable to him. I love my LP and Tele and find his Strat uncomfortable. It's all preference. Thats why you have to go play one and see which you like.

We may seems like jerks but we are really trying to help you.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25

I should have initially mentioned it, but I used to own an Ibanez ART very recently, I sold it because I wanted to get a LP Studio, the body is similar to a Les Paul, if not, the same with a few minor changes. I know there will be similarities, but I want to judge prior other people's experiences whether it will be efficient and if there are any similarities to the ART. I've played Les Paul's before, both Epiphone and Gibson, but not for drastic amounts of time.

Do you really think I would be making a thread with no apparent reason? Please don't throw around comments and judge, especially when you're having a huge misconception.
Quote by J.Simpson
Do you really think I would be making a thread with no apparent reason? Please don't throw around comments and judge, especially when you're having a huge misconception.
Dude, you said that the only reason you were asking is because you were too lazy to go and try an LP for yourself.

flame on.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by J.Simpson

Huge misconception of what? Your first sentence of your thread put it out their plain and clear for everyone to see.

Quote by J.Simpson

If you're too lazy to go visit a shop well then god knows what else you're too lazy to do.
Tag-teamed.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Huge misconception of what? Your first sentence of your thread put it out their plain and clear for everyone to see.

If you're too lazy to go visit a shop well then god knows what else you're too lazy to do.

Right, and this is your idea of a Saturday, staying in doors flaming on the internet, don't even get me started on lazy.
Last edited by J.Simpson at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by J.Simpson
Right, and this is your idea of a Saturday, staying in doors flaming on the internet, don't even get me started on lazy.

Oh lol now look who's talking about misconceptions. Thanks for the lulz.
Damn I love UG.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212