So i was at my local music shop a few days ago trying out the new Marshall Class 5 and some older guy comes and asks what the store had in ways of sub $1000 (australian) valve amps for his sons joint birthday and christmas present, as a step up from his 15watt beginner pack amp.

As i sat there playing i couldnt help but notice the man being sweet talked into not going valve. I recall one thing very clearly.

Shop Guy: "So what is he looking for in his upgrade"
Father: "He's looking for sound more then volume"
Shop Guy: "Do you mean like tone?"
Father: "Yeah thats right, he wants a good classic rock sound"
Shop Guy: "Well then your probably gonna want to go Solid State instead of Valve then, I suggest personally the Roland Cube 30 over the Blackstar HT-5 or the Marshall Class 5"

I then saw, without a demo at all the father buy the Roland

Some Poor Kid is gonna wake up on Christmas all excited about his new killer Valve Amp and get a Roland instead, i would probably cry

SO PIT, share your stories about massive let down christmas or birthday gifts when u had your heart set on something
You're a dickhole, you should have done something to stop him.
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Dec 25, 2009,
I actually got more than I wanted for christmas this year and I feel a little guilty about that.

But last year for my birthday my dad got drunk and cussed me out in front of about three hundred people. They bought me an Ipod as sort of a bribe gift so I'd talk to him again.
Well it wasn't a gift but waiting for it to be delivered made it feel like one; my first electric guitar set. I hadn't exactly done my research and only spent €95,- so the amp I got with the guitar sucked, that was a bit of a let down as I recall The guitar isn't too awful though

But I have to say the kid's story dwarfs mine in sadness, damn those sale representatives!
You definetly should have interjected. If that kid knows anything about amps, he's going to falcon punch his father, then the manager, then you. In that order.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
this reminds me of the seinfeld when they just stand by and let that fat guy get jacked...they just stood by too....
my hovercraft is full of eels
Why do they try to sell solid states instead of tube?

Aren't tubes more expensive? so wouldn't they make more money if they sell more expensive stuff...?
Quote by bobthebum16

Aren't tubes more expensive? so wouldn't they make more money if they sell more expensive stuff...?

It's probably more about moving the crappy inventory that nobody wants. If they hardly sell any of those SS Roland Cubes and such, they're gonna want to convince people to buy them, to clear out the stock.

Regardless, they shouldn't deliberately be hocking those amps...
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I got a line 6 spider 4 amp today for Christmas

I haven't got a chance to try it yet, but they're not really as bad as the pit makes them out to be.... right?
Rush Rocks

Quote by Braiton
If Beiber is our generation's Cobain I can't see how that is a bad thing.
Just make sure the shotgun is loaded.
Quote by wizards?
I actually got more than I wanted for christmas this year and I feel a little guilty about that.

I agree. My mother always asks me to make a list, which I hate doing. Makes me feel like I'm being greedy, you know? "This is the crap you can buy me." But I did anyway.

I only got two of the things on my list (some cologne and a new pair of khakis), but they spent way more than they would have if they bought the whole list. My father actually bought me a $500 shotgun so I could go skeet shooting and (hopefully) duck hunting with him. We don't really like hunting, but we love to cook, and it seems like, ethically, we should have some idea of where our food comes from.

And I felt like a total jackass, because I got way more from my parents than I spent on them. I know I'm an only child and all, but I still feel spoiled. It's really not a good feeling for me.
mwuhahahah i feel no guilt, they all know me there so i get killer discounts for some reason, im not gonna bite the hand that feeds

anyway more stories of christmas dissappointment
this is truly saddening...

hmm, i don't really have any stories to share :S
other than i only ever seem to get book vouchers?

EDIT: no, i'm not a bookworm
When I went a while ago to get an amp from GC the guy actually showed me the Bugera 6262 combo amp first...but THEN he said "you know we also have these line 6 spiders. I see you like heavier stuff they are really good for that. They have a lot of effects too"

I said, "-__- No man......I'll take the Bugera"
hold up.. isnt a CUBE more of a digital/modeling amp rather than solid state?

which would deserve more of a norris kick to the genitalia than a falcon punch to the face for the sales man...

i sorrow the father that just tried to do the right thing but got ****ed over
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
hold up.. isnt a CUBE more of a digital/modeling amp rather than solid state?

which would deserve more of a norris kick to the genitalia than a falcon punch to the face for the sales man...

i sorrow the father that just tried to do the right thing but got ****ed over

well at one point the father said he didnt want an amp that was too heavy because he had to carry it all the way from the shop to the car so i dont feel to sorry for the dad because he played a part in it
The roland cube 30 is a perfectly fine amp and it's more versatile than the blackstar. If the kid suddenly wanted to play jazz or metal, he'd be SOL on that little blackstar.

Kid'll get a valve amp soon. It happens to everyone. It's just not his time this year.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by wizards?

But last year for my birthday my dad got drunk and cussed me out in front of about three hundred people. They bought me an Ipod as sort of a bribe gift so I'd talk to him again.

ahh lucky

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by Jusman
I got a line 6 spider 4 amp today for Christmas

I haven't got a chance to try it yet, but they're not really as bad as the pit makes them out to be.... right?

the spider 4 isn't supposed to be as bad as the spider 3, but I dunno.

I don't actually play guitar
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by bobthebum16

a lot of music store employees are retarded (well gear wise at least). sad but true.
Quote by wizards?

Same. The computer was enough for me, but my parents got me 2 books, a flash drive, and Borderlands
I can't believe this, I was looking for an upgrade for my old Cube 15, and my dad said he'd "see to it" *nose tap* for Christmas. He asked me some stuff and I made it clear that I'd prefer a valve amplifier with a decent Classic Rock sound. I even gave him a list of some decent amps. Then, as I'm all excited on Christmas day, I unwrap my new awesome valve am- oh wait, a Cube 60. Apparently the salesmen said that they were better than valve for Classic Rock. And my Dad bought it, literally. There was also this kid looking kinda amused at the store apparently, I'm going to have to track him down...

EDIT: Disregard my Location, I have migrated to the UK in disgust with my father. G'Day!
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Dec 25, 2009,