So when there's a chord like this on a tab:

G-14---14
D--x----x
A-12---12

Does the x mean you strum it open? The only way you can mute it is if you use the finger on your left hand that's on the 12th fret to mute it. Is that what they mean by that x in the middle of that chord?
it means you mute the string by resting an unused finger on it:p
muting. I usually end up doing it with my first finger.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Gego
it means you mute the string by resting an unused finger on it:p

No, you use the pad of your finger fretting the 12th fret (your index, probably) to mute the string above it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
it's an octave, play it as you play a normal power chord [im my case, index/pinky] and drop your ring/pinky [whichever applies] a string, and with your index press down on the 12, but arch it so it mutes the D string
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
What I often do to this chord is fret the 12th fret with index finger. Slightly angle the finger so that it slightly touches the D string to mute it. Middle finger curves over to the low E string, also slightly touches it to mute. Ring finger the same technique as index, fret the 14th but angle to mute the rest of the strings below.

I find it more convenient this way since I mostly strum quite hard when it comes to those chords and all other strings should be muted.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Kevy Absolution
No, you use the pad of your finger fretting the 12th fret (your index, probably) to mute the string above it.

You might but other people may prefer to use another finger, for example if you're fretting the octave with your 1st and 3rd finger you can use your 2nd finger to mute the open string.

I prefer to use the finger im fretting with as you say but I know people who work it the other way and it's fine for them.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Dec 25, 2009,
Quote by tommyt
You might but other people may prefer to use another finger, for example if you're fretting the octave with your 1st and 3rd finger you can use your 2nd finger to mute the open string.

I prefer to use the finger im fretting with as you say but I know people who work it the other way and it's fine for them.

This I haven't come across any rules on how to mute strings so you can use whichever finger you want to mute with.