I'm terrifically happy with my Peavey Vypyr 30; I love the sound and the effects are top-shelf. However, the built-in noise gate is not quite doing its job. I'm getting feedback and unwanted fret noise like anything. The Vypyr doesn't have an FX loop I could hook up a noise gate into, though, and I'm aware that putting a noise gate in front of a modeling amp might not be the best idea. Is that right, or is it safe for me to buy a Rocktron Hush or an NS-2 and stick it between the guitar and amp? I can deal with some amp noise, even with the ultra-gain red zone amp models; I'd just like the guitar noise to be cut out before it gets to the amp and starts giving me unpleasantness!

Thanks, all!
I know that putting the noise gate in either in front of the amp or in the fx loop has 2 different outcomes. Infront of the amp will reduce feadback, but I can't remember what in the fx loop does. But to answer your question, yes, you can put it infront of your amp
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Thanks; I think putting the gate in the loop take out amp noise as well, but that's not much of an issue. The Vypyr's quiet as a mouse by itself.