Hey im a beginner metal bassist. In two cover bands , looking for a new bass guitar that can sound good playing death/prog tunes. My budget is $600 USD max. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Also does anyone know of some good death metal bass lines that can help hone my skills. Im doin' simple songs as of late and need improvement. Thx for reading , peace.
I would suggest a used ibanez sr 50/0/5/6. They're very popular with that genre, and for good reason, in my rather biased opinion :P The string spacing is tighter, which makes for a slimmer neck
Quote by nevarveroxxis
Hey im a beginner metal bassist. In two cover bands , looking for a new bass guitar that can sound good playing death/prog tunes. My budget is $600 USD max. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Also does anyone know of some good death metal bass lines that can help hone my skills. Im doin' simple songs as of late and need improvement. Thx for reading , peace.
Try some Atheist, Cynic, Death or Obscura, all great prog/death bands with GREAT bassists.
Pick a bass you like the feel of and then stick some (probably active) really hot pickups in it.
Basically your two very best bets have already been named for the price range. The Spector Legend...well it's a Spector and not much more needs be said. The Ibanez is, as aforementioned, very popular in the metal scene because of its very fast neck (plus they're hella versatile on top of that). The only other one I would recommend is an ESP but since the price bump most of their great models are just out of your price range though there is this which I think would suite you well.

And basically I think those are your 3 best options
Spector Legend series, Ibanez ATK or SRX series, Traben Chaos series or a Fender Jazz with hotter pickups. You can use just about anything for metal, as long as you have enough power in your amplifier and speakers to cut through and shake the rafters.
ESP is great. I picked up my B-206SM for 440$. I would say either ESP or Ibanez!
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Ibanez, ESP, Spector, all good options to look at.

Take a peek at Schecters, try them first to see if you find them comfortable though.
Also Traben, the Chaos series has already been mentioned, but the Array and Neo series also fall within your budget.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Especially if you're looking towards more technical compositions, the Ibanez Soundgear basses are fantastic, and the midrange models aren't very expensive at all.

They boast extremely fast necks and alot of tone control (with killer mids), and the instrument isn't very heavy either. I have one myself, and have used it night in and night out my last three tours, without a single issue. My back doesn't hurt and I don't have to step on the neck and hit it with a brick to fret a note...

Alex Webster used them for awhile, so I stole the idea from him. Naturally, Spector is the next best option. ^^
...actually, I'm a drinker with a writing problem.
i'd have one of those ESP LTDs in a heartbeat, although the high-end would be my first choice

sometimes...not often, but sometimes I wish I'd gotten that low B string

I just have a 4-string and it's great and it does everything I need and more

but there are a couple of uses i could have for that low B, and I think with death metal and especially with progressive stuff you'll be glad you had it.