Hello everyone.

I got my Epiphone SG for Christmas today .. whoohoo! And in about five minutes, I was in a delema

I tried tuning my guitar for the very first time, and (would'nt you know it?) the D string broke : / I've been doing my homework as to how to properly tune the guitar, and I thought I was doing it the correct way (turn the key, play, turn the key to adjust the pitch, etc.) Does anyone have any pointers as to how this won't happen again in the future?

Thank You Very Much

-peska sg
Test the slackness of the strings, tug it a little bit after every turn to see if there's still enough 'room' to tighten
I can't think of anything else ATM though
STRIKING MINORS
strum and turn while the note is ringing then you know that you dont go to far and also dont turn so much, possible the strings it came with just sucked though
Quote by supersac
strum and turn while the note is ringing then you know that you dont go to far and also dont turn so much, possible the strings it came with just sucked though

Aye, 'tis true... I always replace the 'stock' strings as soon as possible so I know what I'm gettin
STRIKING MINORS
Tune with a tuner until you develop an ear for tuning.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Tune with a tuner until you develop an ear for tuning.

This. But makes sure you're not tuning to high. I don't know how many strings I broke thinking that D was after F...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

This. But makes sure you're not tuning to high. I don't know how many strings I broke thinking that D was after F...

A B C E F D G, H I J....wait a minute....
Quote by biga29
I don't know what I was thinking... I would just keep tuning up waiting for the tuner to get D, and I'd just keep going, and going and poof, broken string. (In case you're wondering, my strings are made out the down feathers from unicorns wings, so they go poof when they break. Takes all the pain away.)

I WANT UNICORN WING STRINGS!!!!

....I hope the fantasy department of PETA isn't monitoring this. I don't need any more nasty letters in my mail. Landlord's already got enough complaints for me.
Quote by biga29
Bro, I'm the head of the Fantasy Department of PETA. Where do you think I got all the Unicorn Wing Strings. Confiscations!

BASTARD!

I knew you guys were corrupt.
Thanks everyone ... and I agree with Victorino ... I smell a little corruption
...anyway, way to not be helpful Vic and Aaron.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
...anyway, way to not be helpful Vic and Aaron.

Would you expect any less of me?
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 25, 2009,