Hello everyone! Well my parents decided to buy me another pedal for christmas, except I really don't know what I'm looking for. This is when you guys come in.

If you look at this (click) video and forward it to 1:15, you can hear the part of the song where there's a strange high pitched melody along with some super heavy chugging. I'm trying to find a pedal that will give me a sound around the lines of the high pitched melody. I know that there probably isn't a specific pedal that gives the exact sound, but I'm looking for something around those lines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone has any suggestions for other pedals (not too expensive, preferably below $250) that would give a good sound that would go well with metal without being a metal sound (I already have that so I want something completely different) please suggest away!

Thanks a billion in advance everyone!
Last edited by Shhank at Dec 25, 2009,
What amp do you have currently?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I'm sorry I should have specified... Right now I have a 15 watt Line 6 Spider (I think that's the full name). I also play on a BC Rich Trace Warbeast and currently use a Boss Metalcore pedal.
Mmmm. You should seriously consider telling your parents to save some money and you try and sell your pedal and your amp and try and get a better amp.

I really hate to say that to people, but buying a pedal isn't going to give you a better tone.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Yes I know, I realise that my gear is complete crap, but I really only started playing a year ago and bought all my gear this summer, so I'm still a begginer. However when I practice with my band our school has some place we can rent out with better amps and whatnot, but I don't know exactly what kind amps they are. I plan on buying a better amp later when I do more serious playing, since for now I can just use the amps my school offers. But really I'm not looking for a better tone, I'm just looking for something that sounds different. Something that isn't the normal metal sound we always hear, but can still be used for metal (keep in mind we have more than 1 guitarist so I don't want the new sound to replace the old one). Just tell me if I'm not making any sense... I'm just looking for suggestions on a pedal I could buy, since I'm not looking for anything really specific (besides the sound in that youtube video).
Quote by Shhank
Yes I know, I realise that my gear is complete crap, but I really only started playing a year ago and bought all my gear this summer, so I'm still a begginer. However when I practice with my band our school has some place we can rent out with better amps and whatnot, but I don't know exactly what kind amps they are. I plan on buying a better amp later when I do more serious playing, since for now I can just use the amps my school offers. But really I'm not looking for a better tone, I'm just looking for something that sounds different. Something that isn't the normal metal sound we always hear, but can still be used for metal (keep in mind we have more than 1 guitarist so I don't want the new sound to replace the old one). Just tell me if I'm not making any sense... I'm just looking for suggestions on a pedal I could buy, since I'm not looking for anything really specific (besides the sound in that youtube video).

I understand were you are coming from, but you have to realize that the money you spend on a pedal now won't be justified because you'll still have a sub-par sound coming from your amp.

Let's say that you went 1 year with out spending any money on pedals, and your parents allowed you to double the money that they would give you. That's like 500USD, plus any money that you save up or gain from selling your amp and pedal. You'll have a respectable budget that allows you to get a good amp and a good pedal that will give you a really good sound.

See what I mean?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Yeah I understand, but I have a job and all and I have about 400 in the bank right now, and I could buy a much better amp if I wanted to, but it's just that I don't really consider it worthwile to spend it on amazing gear right off the bat when I'm still a begginer. Right now if I have a HORRIBLE amp or the most expensive amp in the world, I would barely be able to tell the difference or play better. I'm really just trying to become good, and then buying a good amp will really make a huge difference. Right now I'm just trying to have a few different sounds and experiment on what I can do and what I can play. What I'm really trying to say is that even though I realise just how important it is, I'm not that concerned about sound quality as opposed the the sound itself.
Quote by Shhank
Yeah I understand, but I have a job and all and I have about 400 in the bank right now, and I could buy a much better amp if I wanted to, but it's just that I don't really consider it worthwile to spend it on amazing gear right off the bat when I'm still a begginer. Right now if I have a HORRIBLE amp or the most expensive amp in the world, I would barely be able to tell the difference or play better. I'm really just trying to become good, and then buying a good amp will really make a huge difference. Right now I'm just trying to have a few different sounds and experiment on what I can do and what I can play. What I'm really trying to say is that even though I realise just how important it is, I'm not that concerned about sound quality as opposed the the sound itself.

Then I would recommend a multi-FX.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-RP1000-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150613#used

Perhaps?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Shhank

You could save up another hundred bucks and get a Blackheart HT-5. They're pretty decent when it comes to metal.
Yeah get a multi fx and you can mess around with basically any kind of effect out there. That way by the time you are good and feel like you can justify spending money on good gear you will know what kinds of effects you want.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Yes I went to a guitar shop earlier and the guy suggested just that, acctually! However I need to ask: will the effects really give the impression that you have a new sound, or will it more or less just sound like there are effects pasted onto your sound? Because what I'm looking for is something that'll make it sound almost like if you're using a different distortion. Bah, to be honest I'll just try it out tomorow along with a bunch of other pedals and see what kind of sound I can fish out. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!
Quote by Shhank
Yes I went to a guitar shop earlier and the guy suggested just that, acctually! However I need to ask: will the effects really give the impression that you have a new sound, or will it more or less just sound like there are effects pasted onto your sound? Because what I'm looking for is something that'll make it sound almost like if you're using a different distortion. Bah, to be honest I'll just try it out tomorow along with a bunch of other pedals and see what kind of sound I can fish out. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

Yes, even the shittiest of multieffects will change your overall tone.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

I'm gonna have to suggest an amp. Modelling amps don't take pedals well anyway so it won't provide decent results. I understand you want to 'get good' first but if anything, i find that good tone gives me incentive and motivation to play more, theres even been a time or two when i've switched of my amp after not being able to find a good sound.

You'll just be wasting another 250 bucks on subpar gear, just about everyone does it when they're starting out in gear but why not skip that step? Besides, Multi-FX are generally a little crap unless you start getting into some higher end stuff.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...