I'm looking into getting either a Blackheart BH5H/BH112 Half Stack or a Blackstar HT-5 combo amp.

I want to know which one has better cleans, similar to cleans used by Trivium in the song Shogun or Bullet for my Valentine in some of their songs. I play metalcore, but I like to write complex songs that switch off and on from cleans to heavy distortion in a given song. I'll be using pedals obviously, so which one of these takes pedals better as well?

Also, while on this note, the only distortion I have right now is a Boss DS-1, I don't know if I will need a better pedal when I get a tube amp, or if there are any pedals that would be better for a Drop Dead, Gorgeous type of sound. Preferably Boss, just because Boss has always been good to me.

If it matters any, I currently use a ESP LTD M-200FM, and a Ibanez Rg120, both with stock pickups still. I won an EMG H4 on ebay for less than half of it's original price, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Edit: before I get yelled at, I have read the sticky's, but I'm looking for further clarification.
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 25, 2009,
not yelling, try this if it helps

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986313

check out the image thats posted in the thread: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8224/ampchart.jpg

only the blackstar has good cleans with green!

iv read both works well with pedals, i was itching for a little giant, but i realize i wanted something with separate gain/volume adjustments so my search continues. (and the blackstar is out of the price range that i want, i wish i was more impulsive and bought one before they went up in price)
the blackstar is way better
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I can't vouch for Blackheart....

But having owned a Blackstar, the clean channel is phenomenal. The Distortion on that guy though isn't half what it's cracked up to be IMO and only has enough gain for Black Sabbath-ish. If you use pedals to get your sound then I think the Blackstar would be perfect for you. But my experience with the OD channel, when trying to pump out metal tones, it sounded loose and flabby IMO, which is why I no longer own it. The ISF feature is kind of interesting to play with as well. It's great for hard rock and amazing cleans stand alone, and takes pedals for metal just as well. It just can't do much metal on it's own. It's still a great amp regardless, and it used to be a MUCH better value when it was only $400 for the stack.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Dec 26, 2009,
Does anyone know how the Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 is compared to the Blackstar?
well i havent tried either amp, but i know that blackstar makes some kickass distortion pedals. also try the visual sound son of hyde as far as pedals go
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I'd go for the HT-5 if you're into metalcore. Just pair an OD with the overdrive channel, and you should be able to get some decent metalcore sounds. I have no first-hand experience with these amps however.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
I'd go for the HT-5 if you're into metalcore. Just pair an OD with the overdrive channel

+1

Neither of the amps will get to Metalcore themselves, and using a distortion pedal as all of your gain wont get as good a tone as using an overdrive pedal to boost the overdrive of a tube amp.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
With an OD and EQ, HT-5 can produce some good metal tones but not on it's own.

If your in the US, i suggest you get the B-52 AT-112. It's in your price range, it has great cleans and it's metal tone is way better than the HT-5. It's also voiced to suit those bands a lot better. The Blackstar has a weird voicing, and compression that puts it somewhere between vintage and modern without sounding completely like either. I like mine, but i think you would be a little disappointed with it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Well, Blackheart does handle pedals better, but for metalcore, probably go for the Blackstar.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
First off, what is your budget? I'm surprised no one has asked that yet.
Also, are you willing to go used?

The reason I ask this is because, while you may be set on one of those two amps, there may be an amp in your price range that will suit you better than either of those.
Quote by pmeg568c
the blackstar is way better

no, it really isnt. the blackheart is an amazing amp for classic rock styles and does the marshall crunch beautifully. i mean it isnt like a splawn, but its also a fraction of the price. the blackstar is also a great amp, but for anyone who wants marshally classic rock tones, blackheart is the better amp.

however, for metalcore the blackstar is the better amp. it probably wont get those tones on its own, but it will do it decently with an overdrive pedal. the ISF lets you pick a more american sound, which will suit that style. the gain is also a little more sutied toward that kind of sound.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
First off, what is your budget? I'm surprised no one has asked that yet.
Also, are you willing to go used?

The reason I ask this is because, while you may be set on one of those two amps, there may be an amp in your price range that will suit you better than either of those.

this is pretty much dead on. neither of those amps is the best option for you, so with a bit more info (budget for example) someone could help point you in a direction to find a great amp for you.
Quote by TOMMYB22
If your in the US, i suggest you get the B-52 AT-112.

People on UG love to push the B-52 but forget that its a very unpractical amp no matter how affordable it is. Not many people have room for a big cab and have neighbors who wont call the cops when that 100-watt amp is cranked up enough to really matter.
While the Blackstar and Blackheart may have similar names they're quite different amps. One is a classic non-master volume mini-monster with a flavor for those who've got a taste for classic Marshalls. The other is a hard-rock practice amp for people who want some versatility and don't mind sacrificing some of the charm of the former.

Crossing either off your list should be as easy as visiting YouTube and watching a review/demo or two.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by jpnyc
People on UG love to push the B-52 but forget that its a very unpractical amp no matter how affordable it is. Not many people have room for a big cab and have neighbors who wont call the cops when that 100-watt amp is cranked up enough to really matter.

100W for metalcore would be ideal. You need massive headroom to avoid unwanted power tube saturation which makes the amp much more loose and flabby. You can also get small cabs for it I imagine...

Also before anyone does the "has to be loud to sound good" that's rubbish. It sounds better up loud but by no means rubbish.

If TS has a decent budget and is willing to look used there will be some good amps out there. But the B-52 would be a good option for him none the less because of it's huge headroom & he could gig with it further down the line.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
100W for metalcore would be ideal. You need massive headroom to avoid unwanted power tube saturation which makes the amp much more loose and flabby. You can also get small cabs for it I imagine...

Also before anyone does the "has to be loud to sound good" that's rubbish. It sounds better up loud but by no means rubbish.

If TS has a decent budget and is willing to look used there will be some good amps out there. But the B-52 would be a good option for him none the less because of it's huge headroom & he could gig with it further down the line.

I can see that because I have a Windsor 100watt head and the 4x12. I like the headroom and it lets the pedals deliver the tones. My jams are in small areas like a shop or party room.

In the house I use my BHHD and a 1x12 BH cab and it does fine. Pretty cool amp.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by jpnyc

Uh, he said the B-52 112. Which is a 60W 1 X 12 tube amp combo, pretty light too. They are a great amp for practice/jam, hell the most impressive local gig I've seen this last year was done on a B-52 combo amp. At the $300 or so you get them for in the states they are a steal.
I would prefer to stay under $500 USD. I live in an apartment, so I wouldn't really be able to use something that is big and menacing =(. I am more than willing to go used, if it's worth it. Sometimes I go to my bassists's house to practice, where we can get as loud as we want, so it would be nice to have something that can go to louder volumes, but doesn't sound bad at low volume.