I am looking to buy a marshall jcm 900 and im going to buy it used. What are some common problems with this amp?
and would it be a good amp to get ? i play pop punk/hardcore style
Sounds like it'd be good for you, the only complaint with them I have is that they need to be turned up loud to sound their best. And when I mean loud I mean past 12 o'clock. Other than that, they're good amps.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
The most common problem is scratchy pots. Not particularly hard to replace though. I just replaced 5 in mine. They are pcb mounted and rather poor quality - not good.
It should suit you ok as far as sound goes - great punk amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
pots = potentiometers , ie the knobs like volume, gain etc. They are a standard sized (5mm between pins) pots so you should be able to source them easy enough from an electronics store, the value is written on the back of the pot, just take the pots in with you to the shop if in doubt. They have splined shafts which may make it more difficult to source from a electronics store.
Price? No idea over there but should only be a couple of bucks each. You can get them directly from Marshall too if you can't find splined ones but they will be the same crappy quality ones as original of course (and cost more).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 25, 2009,
Oh, and replacing them does require removing the circuit board and doing a bit of soldering so it does require a bit of careful work. Seeing as how you didn't know what a pot was i assume you aren't big into electronics so you may want to get somebody else to do it for you. If you know what you are doing it really isn't a big job. However if you aren't comfortable soldering (and you do have to be careful to avoid damaging the board) it may be a bigger job than it seems to a tech like myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, and replacing them does require removing the circuit board and doing a bit of soldering so it does require a bit of careful work. Seeing as how you didn't know what a pot was i assume you aren't big into electronics so you may want to get somebody else to do it for you. If you know what you are doing it really isn't a big job. However if you aren't comfortable soldering (and you do have to be careful to avoid damaging the board) it may be a bigger job than it seems to a tech like myself.

thanks so much man
Definantly a tech job unless you are a tech yourself.
Tube amps have some nasty voltages inside them that can kill you (even when unplugged) if you don't know what your doing.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Definantly a tech job unless you are a tech yourself.
Tube amps have some nasty voltages inside them that can kill you (even when unplugged) if you don't know what your doing.
Very true. Even if it doesn't kill you it ****en hurts like a bastard. I forgot to discharge the capacitors once - a mistake i won't make again in a hurry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification