Which braided instrument cable (the cloth wrapped) would you say delivers the LEAST noise/ hum/ least alteration to sound.
1 of my buddies has a Dimarzio and it seemed extremely well built and it put out some awesome quailty sounds and its actualy fairly cheap
Mogami if you have the cash.

Though I just stick w/Livewires or Monster, lol. Much better than uber-cheap junk, and affordable enough. Cables are the last thing to upgrade in a rig anyway though. Guitars, amps, pickups, effects, etc. should all be placed on a higher priority.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Mogami if you have the cash.

Though I just stick w/Livewires or Monster, lol. Much better than uber-cheap junk, and affordable enough. Cables are the last thing to upgrade in a rig anyway though. Guitars, amps, pickups, effects, etc. should all be placed on a higher priority.

I totally agree with yu but the thing is my amp reccomends i do not use more then 30 feet of cables and im using 40. plus i also got a distortion pedal for christmass and i need something to connect it to my amp with. i just want something fabric wrapped mainly. but i know some cables really sound like shit as far as buzz and feedback and i dont want that.
Expensive instrument cables are mostly a waste of money. Gold tips, special plastic coatings, etc. are just marketing gimmicks companies like Monster and retailers use to upsell gullible people into paying for the same product with outrageous markups. Just avoid unshielded cables and buy serviceable cables so you can just re-solder the connections when they eventually break.
Quote by zappmi35
I totally agree with yu but the thing is my amp reccomends i do not use more then 30 feet of cables and im using 40. plus i also got a distortion pedal for christmass and i need something to connect it to my amp with. i just want something fabric wrapped mainly. but i know some cables really sound like shit as far as buzz and feedback and i dont want that.
Why are you using 40 feet of cable? lol. That much cable can suck tone. Just stick with 10-15 ft or so, no longer than 20. And honestly, I mainly just use livewires for instrument cables. They sound good to me, aren't hideously priced at all, and replacements are free if they break (so far, none have *knocks on wood*).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Just going out on a limb here. But if you bought a distortion pedal then you PROBABLY don't have all that great of an amp, therefore you PROBABLY don't need a great cable.
As long as it says 'shielded' you'll be good to go and you can keep saving for other more important upgrades

correct me if I'm wrong though!
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I'll recommend two different cables, neither are cloth wrapped, since its dosent matter whatso****ing ever. Ibanez Series 96 cables $30 for a 15 foot cable that is awesome quality, or Live Wire Elite's, which are $50 for an 18 footer and are awesome quality.
i dont know if there is a store near you that carries spectraflex cables but if there is id check them out. Not expensive at all (18 foot at my shop was 30$) and the shop gives a lifetime warranty where if it breaks i just take it to them and swap em out.
Quote by jpnyc
Expensive instrument cables are mostly a waste of money. Gold tips, special plastic coatings, etc. are just marketing gimmicks companies like Monster and retailers use to upsell gullible people into paying for the same product with outrageous markups. Just avoid unshielded cables and buy serviceable cables so you can just re-solder the connections when they eventually break.

Agreed completely.

Just stick to decent-quality (Planet Waves etc), use shorter runs, and make sure your pedalboard is laid out appropriately with regards to buffered and hard bypass pedals.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Just going out on a limb here. But if you bought a distortion pedal then you PROBABLY don't have all that great of an amp, therefore you PROBABLY don't need a great cable.
As long as it says 'shielded' you'll be good to go and you can keep saving for other more important upgrades

correct me if I'm wrong though!

I have a nice amp. i've got a marshall jcm 2000 tsl 602. i just bought the pedal for lessons mainly so i will need to bring a seperate cable to lessons. another reason im buying a cable is to eliminate some length. the cable i have now is 40 feet (i got everything for my birthday about 11 months ago ( guitar, cable, amp ) so i had no say in what i wanted (although im quite satisfied). my guitar produces ALLOT of feedback. i think it is the pickups because if i touch the pickup the feedback is almost gone but a quality cable would definatly help with eliminating feedback. and the guitar is a gibson les paul studio so i dont see why i would produce feedback.
Last edited by zappmi35 at Dec 26, 2009,
If your cable is shieled, why dont you just get 4 new heads, cut your 40 foot cable in half and then you'll have two 20 feet cables.

Planet Waves cables are good, but tend to break a bit too easily though. So just keep new heads to solder on lying around
Quote by nazfomo
If your cable is shieled, why dont you just get 4 new heads, cut your 40 foot cable in half and then you'll have two 20 feet cables.

Planet Waves cables are good, but tend to break a bit too easily though. So just keep new heads to solder on lying around

im thinking about that