well say if i had a 200 watt amp head at 4 ohms, and a 800 watt cab at 8 ohms, would i have to get get another head that is 800 watts, or could i just use the 200. And if so, how many watts would i get.
How many watts you would get with just the one cabinet depends on what your amp is rated at for 8 ohms. It would probably be between 100 and 150 watts. If you got another cabinet (any configuration) that was rated at 8 ohms and ran them both through your head, then you would get 200 watts out of the head. The power rating on the cabinet refers only to how much power the cabinet can handle. If you ran a 2000-watt amplifier through it, it would be too much.
Quote by FatalGear41
How many watts you would get with just the one cabinet depends on what your amp is rated at for 8 ohms. It would probably be between 100 and 150 watts. If you got another cabinet (any configuration) that was rated at 8 ohms and ran them both through your head, then you would get 200 watts out of the head. The power rating on the cabinet refers only to how much power the cabinet can handle. If you ran a 2000-watt amplifier through it, it would be too much.

^ that
you don't have to get a new head but if you want the full potential from your cabinet you should get one that is 800 watts at 8 ohms (most manufacturers only put their RMS wattage for 4 ohms so you'll have to do your research or just guess-timate. I'd say for 800 in 8 you'd need between a 1000 and 1600 watt head.)
Another major factor is the speaker effeiciency, you can get a 400 watt cab that will be louder than an 800 watt cab if the speakers in the 400 watt cab are more efecient than the 800 watt cab.
Anyone can make a speaker that will in theory handle any amount of watts, it is the abilty of the speaker to transfer those watts into accoustic power at a high level of DBs that is the important factor.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn