So I got one of those squire affinity tele's. My main guitar is broken and am gonna sell it asap because of its unreliability. And I love teles. When I say mod, i mean change shit up. New pickups, new neck, new tuners. I'd probably still wanna change the pickups if I got a MIM but not quite as quickly. What do you all think?
I've had the same idea with my Affinity Strat, but I'm gonna wait until I have another guitar to use while I'm modding the old one. (I'm gonna paint mine, too) It's basically gonna be a project guitar, just to practice my skills instead of starting building a guitar from the start.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
If you can wind your own pickups, Yes. Mod it. If you want to learn how to repair guitars, Yes. Mod it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Well, I'd suggest you get a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster. On sale from some place like Musician's Friend it'll run you under $300. Free shipping. No sales tax in 47 of the 50 states. And in my experience with multiple MIM Fender Teles and 2 Squier CV50s Teles, either CV50s Tele was better than the best of the MIM Fenders. Seriously, it's one of those rare guitars that actually merits all the rave reviews it gets.

Otherwise, pick up a used, excellent condition MIM Fender Tele off craigslist for $250. It'll still be a good Tele. Maybe not quite as good as the CV50s, but good. And it won't say "Squier" on the headstock, which I know is a big deal to some folks.

I just don't like the idea of putting that much money (new pups, neck, tuners, and who knows what else) into a Squier Affinity. But that's simply my take on it. I get that some people enjoy working on their guitars, and if you're such a person, a broken and unreliable Squier Affinity Tele is probably as good a project as any. Me? I'd start with one of those $99 Squier Bullet Strats (in surf green, which for some reason they officially call "daphne blue"), if I were into modding for the sheer joy of it. But again, that's just my personal preference, and you needn't share it.
--
Michael
If you're going to do something as radical as changing everything but the body then i don't think it's worth it. The cost of a new neck alone is probably about as much as you could sell the guitar for. I'd just buy a new guitar.

Changing electronics, pickups, and maybe the tuners i could understand, but changing the neck on an Affinity series guitar doesn't seem worth it to me.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you're going to do something as radical as changing everything but the body then i don't think it's worth it. The cost of a new neck alone is probably about as much as you could sell the guitar for. I'd just buy a new guitar.

Changing electronics, pickups, and maybe the tuners i could understand, but changing the neck on an Affinity series guitar doesn't seem worth it to me.

For a casual player, Nope. Not unless the guitar has a LOT of mojo that he doesn't want to lose.

But if they can make their own neck and make it well then it's worth it. (This is likely not the case so why am I bothering typing this...)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.