So, long story short, I'm definitely in need of a new guitar. I've upgraded past my *shudder* Spider III, so I'm good as far as amps go (for the moment, anyway). Hence, I have turned my sights to acquiring a new guitar. Here's the breakdown:

-I'll be playing through a Vox VT-30
-I play a lot of metal, but I dabble in blues and classic rock, so decent cleans are good
-Mid/High output pickups; I would definitely like a warm, but clear, sounding neck pup, since that's the one I use for most of my soloing.
-I'm torn between a 7-string and a 6-string. I'm leaning towards the 6, but I could just as easily go for a nice 7.
-Fast neck would be nice
-24 frets
-Preferably a fixed bridge, but I'm willing to deal with a tremolo system
-I have no preference for wood, as long as it isn't cheap agathis or basswood
-I'm willing to go used, but it might take some convincing for my moneybags...erm, parents
-Budget will be $550 at best, but probably somewhere closer to $500

I've looked around a bit and I've come up with a couple of guitars that look good to me.

-Fender Showmaster: It's been recently discontinued, but a nearby store has one within my price range. I can't find a decent link for one, but it's nice.
-Ibanez RG7321: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG7321-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=519787
-Ibanez RGA42FM: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235
-Godin Redline HB: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Redline-HB-Electric-Guitar?sku=620135

Any recommendations are welcome and I look forward to your responses. Thanks, UG.
sorry to jack ure thread for my question but i hav a spider and i hate it... is the vox vt-30 good??
Quote by kiaba94
sorry to jack ure thread for my question but i hav a spider and i hate it... is the vox vt-30 good??

No problem. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it, but it is by far a better amp than the Spider is. The cleans are sparkly and the distortion sounds pretty good so far.
awesome... about how much was it and does it do heavier distortion too? cause i play alot of metal..
It doesnt fit all your criteria but i would look at Rondomusic.com and look through the Agile Les pauls. Some have thinner necks and you might like them. Unless your parents are like mine and won't order anything online. lol
Substitute - your lies for facts
I didn't really like the ESPs I held; their necks were too thick for my tastes. I did look at some Agiles. My problem was that they're only sold online, so I can't try one out before I buy it. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I'm hesitant to buy offline.

awesome... about how much was it and does it do heavier distortion too? cause i play alot of metal..
Mine was around $270, I got a $50 mail-in rebate. It seems well worth it, so far. But as always, try one out a bit before you buy and look at some other amps in that range. Just don't get tricked into buying a Marshall MG.
I really like my Ibanez RGT42, its a hardtail and I picked it up as a leftover 2008 with a a tiny ding in it for $420, I like it so much in fact, my LTD is collecting dust.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
If you're lucky you could find a used Ibanez RG1550/1570 - or a used RG550/570.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i wish the RGA42FM was in a flat finish like the RGA121s they made, it was hard to tell from pics online, but i saw one in store and was really disappointed