Alright me and my friends are in a band together and what seems like the same old classic story.. we just don't have the vocals loud enough to hear... So we are looking to purchase a PA system, but we aren't really sure what we would need and how much power it would take.

Our band features amp/loudness wise..

-An acoustic drum set
- 40W Tube Guitar Amp (so it's as loud as a 100W solid state)
- 200 Watt Bass Amp

and we need a system loud enough to rehearse with rather than forcing our drummer to stop playing

I already own an unpowered mixer
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1202FX-Mixer?sku=631267

and I'm wondering what I need next and how much power I would require and we are DEFINITELY trying to do it as cheap as possible, without compromising quality too much (we would at least like some growing room.)

It seems Active Speakers would be the simplest choice as we would only need a mixer and a pair of these active speakers...

something like
this?

Although I really don't have the best idea, so like I said before what should we get keeping in mind the amount of power you suspect we need, and a budget looking to be in the student band range...
Your gonna want something in the 300w-400w range for power

Active speakers...you could get by with 200w each...the ones you posted there would be plenty
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
So all I would need to buy is a pair of these speakers and this along with the mixer I already own would be enough?
I've always used passive speakers...but in theory, yes, that's all you should need.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune