Back in the days... learning by listening to CDs, vinyl records,etc...???

I hav been curious on how musicians back in the day learned to play guitar or any other instruments, (this is before people started to use tabs)? They probably bought CDs and vinyls and must have learned songs by ear, the reason Im bringing this out is I want to do the same. I want to have that experience of learning to play guitar from listening to CDs and vinyls but I question though how would you slow down a piece if you want to learn it by ear ( especially back then when you didnt have any fancy programs and such)? Please help me out guys because I seriously want to know so that I can have that feel and experience to know what it took some of my favorite musicians to get to where they are today.

Thank you
teachers and staff paper?
tabs aren't that ingenious...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Before people started to use tabs?

The first known occurrence in Europe is around 1300. In Asia there exist much older tablature notations

Tab has been around for a very very long time. It's only become so popular recently with the internet.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
There wasn't any slowing down; it was just people listening to the songs over and over and working on it. Luckily, I switched to drums being my primary instrument, so my jobs a lot easier.
I guess what Im trying to saying is that Im guessing that guitarists like Dimebag Darrel, Max Cavalera, Chuck Schuldiner, Trey Azagathoth and many other of my favorite guitarists probably must have learned by ear and probably learned from listening to vinyls and CDs. What Im trying to figure out since its my first time how to go through that process like slowing down a piece in a song so that I could practice it and get better at it( and Im also considering to buying vinyls and CDs now since I personallydont want to download music , I like the feeling of having a physical copy of music that I truly like...
Well on a record player you can slow down or speed up the music, play it backwards, all sorts of things. I don't know, why not use all resources available to you? I'm sure alot of them just kind of memorized the sounds a guitar makes.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
You slow it down mentally. I know that sounds hard but it's the same thing you do when playing a sport like baseball or kickball where you slow the ball down in your mind. Baically it's mind over matter. And listen to the song A LOT. I have no idea how it works for everybody else but it seems like the more I listen to something the slower it feels (to a degree), like when I had an Indian doctor. I couldn't understand him AT ALL but the more I saw him the better I understood him. Also, if you haven't already; learn the theory behind the songs. You should be able to listen to a song and, identify what key it's in, what chords are being used, what scales are being used, etc.
We had tabs " back in the day" We kept them in binders and made copies of every new one we came across. The internet is now your binder.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by tayroar
Well on a record player you can slow down or speed up the music, play it backwards, all sorts of things. I don't know, why not use all resources available to you? I'm sure alot of them just kind of memorized the sounds a guitar makes.

What about learning from CDs? I know what you mean about the resources but I dont want to use tabs. I want to learn songs by ear and get them down perfect. And besides everybody else that tabbed greatly with songs on UG must have learned the songs by ear so I want to do the same
Well, I don't know what I'm talking about, as I was born in 1995, but they probably had teachers teach them, or they bought tab books.
Quote by slipknot5678
Well, I don't know what I'm talking about, as I was born in 1995, but they probably had teachers teach them, or they bought tab books.

We lifted the needle and put it back in the groove. We copied tabs out of books and hopefully completed one or two before we got booted from the store. Sure there were guitar teachers. They just got booted from the store more often than the rest of us.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
We lifted the needle and put it back in the groove. We copied tabs out of books and hopefully completed one or two before we got booted from the store. Sure there were guitar teachers. They just got booted from the store more often than the rest of us.

I can't tell if you're overexagerating or not.
Quote by tayroar

Yeah but that changes the pitch. Only in recent years did they develop digital technology to slow songs down while keeping the pitch true.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by slipknot5678
I can't tell if you're overexagerating or not.

I started playing 20 years or more before cd's existed. The only repeat function we had was pick up the tone arm and move it. We did that. And yes we copied tabs out of the books we didn't buy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I do both. all you do is pause the cd, play the part till it sounds right, and voila.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by Jackal58
I started playing 20 years or more before cd's existed. The only repeat function we had was pick up the tone arm and move it. We did that. And yes we copied tabs out of the books we didn't buy.

I understand that, I was referring to the guitar teacher part, you made it sound like they were just people who came in the store and got kicked out for staying around too long. I'm stupid so I'm probably interpretting your post wrong but I'm pretty sure there was actual guitar teachers. I beleive you, I'm half asleep and of course I don't know what I'm talking about so I just had to make this dumbass post.
No they got thrown out more often for copying tabs more often.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Oh ok that makes more sense. Sorry like I said I don't understand anything about anything, I just like to think I do because I'm too much of a pussy to accept the facts.
TS, maybe you shouldn't do this. I know you want to get the feel of learning like they did in the old days, but why deny yourself access to the resources available to you? It's like having a Ferrarri, but driving a busted up hooptie. sure you get the feel, but you could get to the same place faster if you took the ferrarri.

just my two cents. if you don't agree with me, try listening to the CD over and over again, and start out with simple bands. for example, i've learned several white stripes songs from ear, because all of their songs are in either E, A, or B, and use almost the same notes. after that you can do more complex stuff.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by swordsman14
I guess what Im trying to saying is that Im guessing that guitarists like Dimebag Darrel, Max Cavalera, Chuck Schuldiner, Trey Azagathoth and many other of my favorite guitarists probably must have learned by ear and probably learned from listening to vinyls and CDs. What Im trying to figure out since its my first time how to go through that process like slowing down a piece in a song so that I could practice it and get better at it( and Im also considering to buying vinyls and CDs now since I personallydont want to download music , I like the feeling of having a physical copy of music that I truly like...

Those people would have learned to play before CD was a widely used format.

Anyway, lots of people still learn songs by ear today... how do you think all the tabs on this site are made? It's just a skill that takes practice. You don't need to slow anything down.
yeah. what i do is just hear a bar or two, hum it in my head and replicate it on my guitar. you start to get better at recognizing intervals and chord changes over time. i can hum long tones to songs i've never heard before. i mean how many times have we heard the I-iv-IV-V progression?

it takes practice too. looking at my old tabs, they're crap. my newer tabs are typically rated 5's. it comes with time and effort. but not too much time.
#DTWD