I want to record metal/rock/acoustic songs onto a good laptop, because the one I have now can't handle recording and sounds...... like hell. I have a Shure SM57 and an M-Audio Fast Track, what sound cards and features should I get in a laptop? Also, I am also in a budget crisis after the holidays, so hopefully you can keep this under a grand..... thanks beforehand.
][v][EGADET][-][

pretty much any mac will do nicely. i use the cheapest macbook (under a grand...barely) and it works quite well.

as much as it pains me to say it, you can most likely get a decent pc that'll work well enough (as well as any pc can...) for cheaper. i would recommend using it ONLY for recording though. dont slow it down with anything else. if you already have a laptop, there's no reason to do anything with your new one besides record.
I'd remake this thread in Recordings&Riffs, you'll get way better answers from us over there!

I also use a Macbook, can't recommend it highly enough!

Also, you already have an interface, that takes the place of your sound card so don't worry about getting any kind of special sound card as it won't make a difference whatsoever.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits
Why a laptop? Desktops are cheaper for what you get, and when recording you don't need the portability.

I like sitting in my bed and talking with friends on msn, and don't always feel like sitting in a chair. Also I would like to be able to bring it back and forth from my moms to my dads, and finally I'd like to use it as my laptop for college, I'm a junior now so it's time to get it now.
][v][EGADET][-][

Quote by Sid McCall
I'd remake this thread in Recordings&Riffs, you'll get way better answers from us over there!

Ding!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud