Hi everyone, I´m new at this forum :P. Well here is the thing:
I´ve bought a Fender highway one stratocaster in january and i´ve been playing a lot since then. As we are almost finishing the year, i know it´s time to calibrate my guitar. So i´m taking it to calibrate it in a few days.
The thing is that throughout all the year, my guitar got dirty and i really want to clean it and make it shine again (before calibrating it). I´ve read a lot about cleaning an electric guitar but i´m still not sure. So i was wondering if you could give me some tips about how to clean it, ´cos i don´t want to do anything wrong or ruin the paint while cleaning it.
I´d really appreciate if you could give me some advice
(sorry about my english)
When you take the strings off, you can try washing the fret board off with a damp cloth, then drying it immediately after. In terms of cleaning the body, I would just wipe it down and then if you want, you could add some shine or something...? Just wiping the guitar down with a cloth should help. Good luck!
Quote by wamguy89
When you take the strings off, you can try washing the fret board off with a damp cloth, then drying it immediately after.

Putting water on the guitar is bad last a checked....

Easiest way to clean it/learn to clean IMO it is buy a complete Dunlop cleaning kit

It even has instructions and 2 cloths.

Here is the link: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=231&pmh=products/maintenance

And since you might wanna know how much it costs..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-System-65-Guitar-Maintenance-Kit-100725910-i1134779.gc

Hope that helps good sir.

EDIT: When you wipe the guitar down or just dust it off use a cleaning cloth or a microfiber cloth with a little polish spray so you don't just slide the dirt around scratching the guitar.
Last edited by thatguy1893 at Dec 26, 2009,
fretboard conditioner is really good depending on if you have a finnished fretboard or not. like the guy above me said wiping the guitar down after each use is key but for a good detailing you need to get some quality cleaning products they usually come in some kind of package deal where you get 2 or 3 diffrent cleaners one for the body one for the fretboard and then some sort of metal cleaner. just make sure you dont get the metal polish on the wooden parts of the fretboard only use a small amount on the actual fret. you may only have to get down like that once every few months though depending on how heavy you use the guitar. wash your hands and keep the guitar in the case and you shold be fine there made to be be played so there gonna get dirty and show some sort of wear and tare.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
I just wipe my fretboard down with lemon oil old english every time I re-string. For the body, dry clean cloth will rub out anything you got on there aside from scratches, but I take meticulous care not to scratch any of my guitars. Fingerprints, smudges, all that crap on the finish will rub right off. Dirt on the fretboard, old english.

But I would recommend using the dunlop kit, lemon oil is good for rosewood fretboards, not sure if yours is rosewood, ebony or maple.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
formula 65 guitar polish, maple fretboards can be wiped with a almost dry yet damp cloth, rosewood fretboards use lemon oil(not real lemons)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
formula 65 guitar polish, maple fretboards can be wiped with a almost dry yet damp cloth, rosewood fretboards use lemon oil(not real lemons)

Hey btw after looking it up forever I just decided to look up whats on a standard fender maple fret board.

its the same as the clear coat on neck and body so the guitar polish will work on it.

I wouldn't use the wax though