Page 1 of 2
Hey my birthday is coming up here soon and my budget is $450. Im looking for a good amp/pedal combo to give me a good setup. Im into thrash like Megadeth, Slayer, Evile, Old Metallica etc. Im looking to buy new so any suggestions would be appreciated

I have two already picked out but im not sure how good they are, but ill list them anyway.

Currently im looking at:

Amp
Raven RG200 200W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG200-200W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104792700-i1399496.gc

Pedal

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Effects Pedal
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-MT-2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal-100020358-i1124483.gc
Both horrible amps and pedals.

Can you go used?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Stay away from the metal zone UNLESS your gonna get it modded.
I would recommend the Barber dirty bomb or Hardwire TL2.
Maybe even a metal muff?
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Ok ill stay away from the metal zone.
Id prefer not to go used since its all luck comparared to just getting something new.
Are there any decent amps in my price range for thrash that are new?
stay away from raven all together. if you have a $450 budget get an amp that has good distortion built in so you don't have to buy a pedal. look into a blackstar HT-5 or if you don't mind going used you might be able to get a marshall JCM 800, 900, or 2000 on ebay. kerry king from slayer uses the JCM line so that might be what you are looking for. also if you buy used your dollar value is going to get you a better quality amp then buying a new piece of shit like the raven.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I heard im going to need a boost for marshall right?
And again id prefer new especially since i dont trust ebay lol.
you might possibly need a boost for a marshall. My buddy runs a JCM 900 and he doesn't use any boost and he gets a pretty decent zakk wylde tone. If you don't trust ebay your only other options would be to look locally or buy new but at your price range you might not find anything that will be good quality. your options for amps are pretty much going to be modeling amps like the spider IV or the vypyr. both are decent but i have found as i progressed in my playing that the tone is aweful compared to most tube amps.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
hmm so any new amp in my range with a good pedal is going to sound bad pretty much?
Quote by iceh88
stay away from raven all together. if you have a $450 budget get an amp that has good distortion built in so you don't have to buy a pedal. look into a blackstar HT-5 or if you don't mind going used you might be able to get a marshall JCM 800, 900, or 2000 on ebay. kerry king from slayer uses the JCM line so that might be what you are looking for. also if you buy used your dollar value is going to get you a better quality amp then buying a new piece of shit like the raven.

No, I wouldn't ever expect to get a tube Marshall that cheap.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

not bad but if you are seeking good tone, a good tube amp might be the way to go. i have found with most amps under $500 i wasn't totally pleased with the tone. i am a perfectionist though and i try to match the tone of the songs i like to play. I have played a bunch of peavey's, some mesa's, and some randall's. After playing those i have found the lower end amps obsolete.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
No, I wouldn't ever expect to get a tube Marshall that cheap.

any suggestions then?
Quote by iceh88
not bad but if you are seeking good tone, a good tube amp might be the way to go. i have found with most amps under $500 i wasn't totally pleased with the tone. i am a perfectionist though and i try to match the tone of the songs i like to play. I have played a bunch of peavey's, some mesa's, and some randall's. After playing those i have found the lower end amps obsolete.

aww, well ive been playing for like a year and 3 months and anythings better then the piece of shit I have lol. Im at 400 if i go used since i have a 50 dollar gift card to gc.
look into the peavey valveking or blackstar HT-5. both have excellent tone and are tube powered.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by Rhyank
any suggestions then?

Well, you refuse to go used. Which really does limit you to moderate wattage solid state/modeling amps.

Peavey Vypers are your best bet, to be honest.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

yea i agree with weeping demon. he is right. i mean i have been using a spider III for 2 years now but i'm saving for a mesa so i'm going two or three steps up in what amp i will be getting.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by iceh88
look into the peavey valveking or blackstar HT-5. both have excellent tone and are tube powered.

Yea I was looking at the valveking
I also noticed the ht5 is only 5 watts lol, isnt that a little too quiet?
Quote by iceh88
yea i agree with weeping demon. he is right. i mean i have been using a spider III for 2 years now but i'm saving for a mesa so i'm going two or three steps up in what amp i will be getting.

More like 12 steps up.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

you would be surprised how loud tube amps are over solid state. there are a few videos on youtube of people playing live gigs with a full band and they are playing the blackstar. it can get pretty loud. yeah weeping demon i would say 12 steps up. where i live their is only one guitar shop in the whole state that sells mesa and i think i have spent like 12 full hours in their playing different mesa's. they are tops when it comes to U.S. amps.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
ok cool, im thinking maybe a Peavy Valveking 112 with a Barber Dirty Bomb?
dude craigslist and kijiji are beast for buying gear used. most guitarists treat their gear like its a million bucks, all you have is either a lot of use on it or tolex rips (or both).
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by MYNAMEDOESNTFIT
dude craigslist and kijiji are beast for buying gear used. most guitarists treat their gear like its a million bucks, all you have is either a lot of use on it or tolex rips (or both).

Never heard of kijiji lol
yeah that sounds much better than your first choice. also any metal distortion pedal by MXR or Electro Harmonix would be a good decsion. again for sound demo's just check out youtube. some of the sound quality is shitty but some are good. also with MXR and EHX they have their own youtube channels where they do demo's of the pedals and show you proper settings to use with the pedals. hope this helps. If you ever have time to kill go to a local store and just play around with the gear they have.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
yeah i have used the fullbore metal. it is a good pedal, it takes some time to dial in the right tone but it does everything from slayer to metallica to pantera. MXR has a pretty good demo of it on youtube.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Yea im watching it right now. The added noise gate is a huge plus.
Is the valveking only being 112 going to hurt its tone at all? Or is it just more watts in the 212?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
yeah the 212 is just louder and i think it has two imputs and can be ran in stereo. those are just a few perks but aren't really that important and only can be taken advantage of if your using like chorus, delay, phase, or flanger effects. i have played two different 112 valvekings and both sounded excellent. if you end up buying them from a store make sure to use the pedal you want to buy with the amp you want to buy. some times for some reason an amp and pedal might not sound good together but that is kinda rare most go good together.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
i just saw holycow's post and i would agree with him that the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff would be a good choice. as you can see in my signature i have and use one.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Aww ok cool. Im pretty sure I know wat i want now
What makes you prefer that Digitech over the MXR?
Quote by iceh88
i just saw holycow's post and i would agree with him that the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff would be a good choice. as you can see in my signature i have and use one.

lol just wen i thot i had it figured out.
The MXR seems nice to me. Any reason I should change my mind for the Metal Muff?
Quote by Rhyank
Aww ok cool. Im pretty sure I know wat i want now
What makes you prefer that Digitech over the MXR?

dunno, i think the MXR sounds fizzy and trebley.
I like the digitech cuz u have a lot of controls over ur tone, and u can choose between two modes (tight or loose) and its true bypass.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
no it really is all just personal preference between these two pedals because they are setup almost the exact same way. the mxr has more knobs to dial in a tone but the EHX has a boost feature and a different mid control. thats about it on difference, they are both solid pedals.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Ok, im liking the way the Metal Muff sounds and im looking at the digitech right now.
the digitech is also a good choice. i do like the tight and loose function, not many other pedals have a function like that.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
i would go try to play them then which ever one feels the best to you is what would be good. I always play acouple cover songs like master of puppets, dead skin mask, or cowboys from hell and what ever pedal gets me closest to the tone used on the recordings of those songs is what i pick. I hope that the advice we give you helps you choose stuff to your liking. i need to go to sleep because guitar center near me has some good holiday deals going on tomorrow. cheers!!!

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
have u decided on the amp atleast?
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Ok ill do that
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!
Quote by holycow
have u decided on the amp atleast?

Yea im gettin the Peavy Valveking 112 combo.
u know instead of getting a distortion pedal, u can get an overdrive pedal and use it to boost ur amp's distortion. just saying
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Page 1 of 2