These forum is for original recordings, do you guys care at all, about protecting them?

If so how?
Typically, if you upload your song to UG, then they protect your music, cause they have the original upload date of the song. And if things dont line up with the person who steals your music, lawsuit time. There's really no way to protect them unless you get insurance on it, or something like that. IDK, I just make it so nobody can download my music.
I do know an easy way to have proof that you made your song. Make a copy of it and mail it to yourself, include tablature and lyrics as well if you made some for it. When you receive the mail it will have a stamp of the date on it. Just don't open it. I'm not sure how well this would hold up in court, but it could certainly help.

There's nothing to be done to protect them really,as soon as you upload it onto UG anybody can get it. Sure most people don't know how or are too lazy but it's pretty simple.
get it copyrighted, it will also make sure you collect your royalties if it gets aired on the radio
To get the correct information on Copyrights you should visit the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

Below are some FAQ's about Copyright to get you started in the right direction.

1. What is copyright?
Protection given to authors which allows them to control and profit from their work.

2. When is a song copyrighted?
When you “fix it in a tangible form” (record it or write it down).

3. How do you let people know you are the copyright owner of a song?
Put your “Notice” on it. e.g. © 2005 Ratface Fahrquar III

4. Is the “poor man’s copyright” (mailing it to yourself) a valid way to protect
your music?
NO! You should register it with the U.S. Copyright Office.

5. What benefits do you get by registering your song?
• You can collect mechanical royalties.
• You can sue an infringe in federal court.
• You can collect lots of damages including your attorneys’ fees.

6. To register your song, send the following to the U. S. Copyright Office:
• Form PA (Properly filled out)
• A “Deposit Copy” of your song and the appropriate fee ($45)
• A lyric sheet (optional. but a good idea)
Send your package by “Certified Mail – Return Receipt Requested.”

7. Who has the right to commercially release a song the first time?
The copyright owner of the song.

8. Once a song has been commercially released, who can then record it?
Anyone – as long as they obtain a Mechanical License.

9. If you co-write a song with other people, who owns it?
• Each co-writer owns an equal share (regardless of contribution amount)
• Each co-writer can make (non-exclusive) deals individually – without the consent
of the other co-writers. BUT, they do have share the bread equally.
To override this, you must have a separate agreement for each song – in writing! It
should cover the following points:
• What percent of the song does each co-writer own?
• Restrictions on exploiting the song (e.g. No co-writer can make any deals
regarding the song without the written consent of the other co-writers.
I simply tag the file with "Copyright [year of recorded material] Sonic Orb Studios" and then upload it to my sites as well as back it up to all my drives. If someone does take one of my songs to use I'm not going to be too angry, I'm just making music for fun anyways.

A cheaply made but good video on copyright info and such can be found at this direct link:
http://www.lib.byu.edu/departs/copyright/tutorial/videos/module_1_broadband.html
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Typically, if you upload your song to UG, then they protect your music, cause they have the original upload date of the song. And if things dont line up with the person who steals your music, lawsuit time. There's really no way to protect them unless you get insurance on it, or something like that. IDK, I just make it so nobody can download my music.

I don't think UG can be held accountable, it becomes a third party getting involved. Just copyright the song and be done with it.