Okay before i start i just want to ask people to please actually contribute, don't just post "line six is gay" actually give a reason and the flaws of this amp

Okay i played through a line six spider III 75W amp in guitar center and i loved it. i see people on here all the time though saying "line six this , line six that" i just want to know what are the flaws with this amp as im considering buying one.
Quote by PsiGuy60
I'll probably end up as a pipe-smoking, headbanging 55-year-old.

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666
Talk..........to.......girls?????

I thought they were only good at sucking dick and making sammiches

^^^ truth
If you're new to guitar/amps, then it will sound like any other amp. You won't be able to tell the difference. But as you grow more experienced in the plethora that is guitar amp tone, you will soon discover that Spider III modelling amps sound very, very digital, or best described as fizzly and computerized.

Likewise, now, you could probably play a Marshall JCM-800 and not tell the difference between that and the "crunch" channel on the Line 6 Spider III, which is normal for beginners.

But on top of the Line 6 Spider being digital in sound, it also doesn't take pedals well at all, which means that if you ever want to add flavour to your tone, you'll just make it sound worse.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Mostly people will say how it gives a really digital tone. Also, it doesn't have a lot of variety. A lot of people find only two settings on it that are good to them.
I'd recommend looking at the Peavey Vypyr series of amps, and maybe also the Roland Cube series. They are generally accepted as "better."

They aren't "Bad" amps, there are just better ones for the money. There are PLENTY of bad amps out there in the low end range of like 10w. You should just check out different amps and see what kind out sound they give. Getting an ear for an amp takes time. Its not always something you can just immediately tell good tone with.

Edit: just a little addition to the above posted (who posted about the same time as me) most modeling amps don't take pedals very well. Pedals are best with tube amps and solid state amps.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Dec 26, 2009,
Quote by Chaos Nil
Mostly people will say how it gives a really digital tone. Also, it doesn't have a lot of variety. A lot of people find only two settings on it that are good to them.
I'd recommend looking at the Peavey Vypyr series of amps, and maybe also the Roland Cube series. They are generally accepted as "better."

They aren't "Bad" amps, there are just better ones for the money. There are PLENTY of bad amps out there in the low end range of like 10w. You should just check out different amps and see what kind out sound they give. Getting an ear for an amp takes time. Its not always something you can just immediately tell good tone with.

Edit: just a little addition to the above posted (who posted about the same time as me) most modeling amps don't take pedals very well. Pedals are best with tube amps and solid state amps.

but u see im kinda of welll...running low on funds and line 6 amps seemed good for the price but im strongly open to suggestions on amps
Quote by PsiGuy60

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666

^^^ truth
Roland cube, good first amp!
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Roland cube, good first amp!

model?
Quote by PsiGuy60

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666

^^^ truth
bump
Quote by PsiGuy60

^^ me too bro, me too

Quote by slash_GNR666

^^^ truth
Quote by ebayallen
model?

The one you can afford I wouldn't suggest the Street Cube. Two very small speakers + battery powered = bleh.

Other recommended budget amps are the Vox Valvetronix series and the Peavey Vypyr series.

And Line6 is not "gay." In fact, most of Line6's products are of very good quality. It's just that they decided to try and make a cheap amplifier and all the tones ended up sounding entirely too fake. Mix that in with the big music retailers like Guitar Center and Sam Ash trying to desperately sell a Spider to every customer that walks through their door, and gear-oblivious parents who buy said Spiders for their budding guitarist child and you wind up with a lot of hate for them on the Internets.

Lastly, a lot of hate for the Spider III is also generated by budget br00tal guitarists who bought the amp for metal and later discovered that the Insane channel sounds like a mess of fizz in a blender through a Fender Frontman 15R on the gain channel. On the opposite hand, I think the Spider III actually has some great cleans. So, there ya go.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
If you're new to guitar/amps, then it will sound like any other amp. You won't be able to tell the difference. But as you grow more experienced in the plethora that is guitar amp tone, you will soon discover that Spider III modelling amps sound very, very digital, or best described as fizzly and computerized.

Likewise, now, you could probably play a Marshall JCM-800 and not tell the difference between that and the "crunch" channel on the Line 6 Spider III, which is normal for beginners.

But on top of the Line 6 Spider being digital in sound, it also doesn't take pedals well at all, which means that if you ever want to add flavour to your tone, you'll just make it sound worse.

+1, pretty much what I was going to say.

I've tried a Line6 Spider III 120W combo before. When I first tried it, I thought it sounded pretty good. You will develop an ear for tone over time. I mean, looking at the amp you have now (some 10W SS practice amp), I can understand why you might like the Spider.

I don't like the anti-Line 6 bandwagons though. I quite enjoyed playing the Flextone and HD147...however to me, even those amps still have a fizzyness inherent of all Line 6 modelling amps.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
when youre a beginner and you buy a spider, youll be in love with it for 3 months, start to notice flaws after about 6 months, and after a year, youll be the one calling it gay, especially once youve played some better amps.

i owned a spider 2, and thats how it all went for me. except im not an over the top spider hater.

if you do buy one, dont spend too much money on it. do not treat it as a long term investment
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I thought line 6 spider amps were comparable to the toneport products.

Turns out the toneport/recording sim software was much higher quality than the amps themselves.

Why didn't they just put the toneport software/sims into the amp?
The biggest flaw with the Spider series is the average UG user's lack of searching these forums. There are a million threads that already exist that ask the same exact question and would have answered it for you - all it would have taken is a couple minutes of searching.
most of the posts here are pretty accurate.

I had a 75W spider III with the shortboard foot controller for a year or two, and for what it was, it was a decent amp. By that, I mean a fairly cheap SS amp with a lot of built in effects. It has about a bazillion presets, etc, but realistically I found myself only ever using maybe 4 presets on the pedalboard. And those were presets that I made myself.

The amp sounds "OK"... actually I thought it sounded fairly good at lower volume settings. The channel that mimics the recto isn't TOO terribly far off the mark. (I have a triple rectifier now, and I can hear the similarities, but the real deal blows the spider away as it should) The problem you will face is if you ever have to crank her up to keep up with a drummer, or play in front of an audience. Those presets that sound decent at basement volume start to sound muddy very quickly once the volume is up. Maybe those muddy tones were always there, and I just never heard them at lower volumes.... either way. And by "muddy", I mean that single notes don't have a lot of clarity, and tend to kinda just get lost in the mix.

I wouldn't say that the spider is a TERRIBLE amp, but there are better amps out there for the same price, if not cheaper. If you DO get the spider, you should look into getting the shortboard foot controller with it. it doesn't like pedals too much, and this way you can change presets and toggle effects on the fly without having to take your hands off the guitar, lean down and twiddle knobs.

EDIT: the shortboard also has a volume/wah pedal which is very handy. the wah sounds pretty generic, so I used my crybaby and left it in volume mode.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 26, 2009,
i think the biggest issue with the spider series is the build quality. Tonally, though they may be sterile and lacking in any sort of character they can still sound "good enough" which is all some people need for a practice amp. I honestly think that the low-wattage models are good value for money for what they are, and that they really are no better or worse than any of their competitors like the vox valvetronix and peavey vypyr.

But very few of them (not even the 150 watters) can actually handle the sound pressure levels they need to push out in order to be heard above a full band - typically when you crank up the volume they begin to rumble and rattle, which you hear over the top of the tone it's supposed to be pushing out, and on top of that, the speaker itself is very low quality and pushes out a sloppy tone which just doesn't project the way an amplifier should. I'm curious to see whether a spider head would sound better through a decent cabinet, because in all fairness, it should sound alright, but then you'd have wasted your money buying a bottom of the line head and a high end cab when you'd get better results just buying a mid-priced combo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by AxSilentxLine
+1

Not to mention that these threads aren't allowed

+1

Completely forgot that this was a banned thread.

Reported
how is this a banned thread ? he's not flaming the spider, he's asking opinions because he's considering purchasing one. This seems to me like it's exactly the type of thread this forum is made for.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
how is this a banned thread ? he's not flaming the spider, he's asking opinions because he's considering purchasing one. This seems to me like it's exactly the type of thread this forum is made for.

By saying "I like the amp but I always see people talking trash about it - what is bad about the amp?" is basically asking "Why does everyone hate the Spider series?"

Quote by List of Banned Threads
Off topic threads:
Don't. These include:
Blatant spam
"Why does everyone hate the (spider, MG, etc etc)" threads
"game" threads
Youtube review threads- don't just post your youtube video or a review from another site.
Ads of any kind
^ Agreed

I'm no stickler for the rules but this question has been asked far too many times that it just gets irritating. A simple search would show you that all the opinions voiced in here have been voiced many times already.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...