I was playing on my ibanez S470 (ZR trem) today, and i snapped my high E, but luckily it snapped at the very bottom so i stuck it back on, then half an hour later the D string breaks (well, the core broke and then the winding unwound).

So now that you know the story, i'm kinda annoyed at the elixer strings (not cheap) i had on it, so now i'm thinking of just getting the D'addario XLs but before so, is there any kinda of string that is made for rediculous whammying, like maybe there's something that has a bit of stretch in them?

Thank you, toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
What guage are they?

I use Ernie ball slinkies (9s) on my S and have never broken a string, and that thing takes some abuse.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I've put 10's on there.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
this is more than likely not the strings fault. check your bridge for sharp edges. you may need to file your saddles
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
hmmm, they seem pretty smooth, but i will look into that.

So i guess there aren't any strings for trem units?
What strings do all of you ibanez trem users have?
Also, how do i change my 'signiture' here? I've been looking for days!

Thanks for the help, Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
hmmm, they seem pretty smooth, but i will look into that.

So i guess there aren't any strings for trem units?
What strings do all of you ibanez trem users have?
Also, how do i change my 'signiture' here? I've been looking for days!

Thanks for the help, Toodles!

as far as i know, people generally dont use special strings for ibanez trems. i use elixirs on mine, and they last me months.

and you go to the control panel, and click on signature. you can edit it from there
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Changing strings won't fix much. Either your saddles are sharp or you're whammying too hard.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Some companies (I know that Ernie Ball is one) make stainless steel guitar strings that are supposed to be stronger than the typical nickel-steel alloys. Give them a try.

If you truly want to save your strings from your ZR tremolo, try to avoid listening to Dragonforce. Too much Herman Li can cause tremolo psychosis.
How do i check if the saddles are sharp, should it be noticably sharp to the touch? Cause my finger isn't about 2mm wide. Or do i need some kind of tool?

I was whammying pretty hard at the time (ending of tender surrender by steve vai, haha), so i'm more leaning to that, but i'm not ruling out sharp saddles just yet. Do saddles go sharp enough to sever strings in 5 years?

I think i remember hearing a little while back that steel strings (actually i think this was off fender's site) create burring to the bridge due to the string metal being hard then the saddle metal. So if there is some kind of string that minimizes that, or was i just plainly mistaken?

Thanks for all your help so far fella's

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
How do i check if the saddles are sharp, should it be noticably sharp to the touch? Cause my finger isn't about 2mm wide. Or do i need some kind of tool?

It isn't a case of the bridge saddles being sharp. The angle at which the string hits the bridge saddle can be a factor in string breakage, as if the angle is too severe, it can cause the string to break. This usually isn't an issue with tremolo bridges. You run into it with tune-o-matic bridges and stop tailpieces (like on Gibson Les Paul guitars). And no, they don't get any sharper over time.

Stainless steel strings won't hurt your bridge; especially since they don't really move against or across it. The ZR tremolo clamps the string in place, and the strings and the bridge move as a unit.

Unless you switch to Stevie Ray Vaughan sized string guages (he used about a 0.15 high E string), you'll break the occasional string if you go insane with the tremolo, It's just the nature of the beast.
alright sweet, i have everything sorted, mainly it was just bad luck with me going crazy, so i'll take it a bit easier from now on.

Thankyou everyone for your kind responses and i'll get myself some strings tomozbang!

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
GHS actually has a line of strings for people who like to go apeshit with the whammy bar, so if you want to keep playing that way give them a try.